Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pxc-connor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2015
Hi,

I have just been speaking to :apple: Customer Care, and they mentioned something about a thunderbolt splitter in which you connect using your Thunderbolt port, and then it has VGA and HDMI ports to plug your cables into, here's an image of my set up on connected to each of my displays:

MacBook Air and VGA Monitor:

MacBook Air and HDMI Monitor/TV:

Thanks.

kemperman

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2009
UK
Mini Display port to VGA adapter and Mini Display port to HDMI adapter

Both available on the apple online store

Attachments

• MB572.jpeg
    MB572.jpeg
    3.4 KB · Views: 1,561
  • HGFB2.jpeg
    HGFB2.jpeg
    5.6 KB · Views: 2,234

pxc-connor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2015
I already have a VGA and HDMI connector, the trouble is getting them to work with only 1 port.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I already have a VGA and HDMI connector, the trouble is getting them to work with only 1 port.

I don't understand. What do you mean "1 port"? Your MacBook Air has multiple ports--USB, audio, Thunderbolt, power, SD card. If you mean it has one Thunderbolt port, then yes, but you're only going to connect one display. What's the problem?

pxc-connor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 16, 2015
I don't understand. What do you mean "1 port"? Your MacBook Air has multiple ports--USB, audio, Thunderbolt, power, SD card. If you mean it has one Thunderbolt port, then yes, but you're only going to connect one display. What's the problem?

1 Thunderbolt port, and the people at Apple said it was possible to get something such as that, but they could not tell me where.

I want to know if I can use two monitors at the same time.

djippy

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015
Montreal, Ca.

Dweez

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2011
Down by the river
Quoted for truth.

Yes, you can run two displays. It's easiest if they are Thunderbolt displays, because you can just daisy chain them. If they are not Thunderbolt displays, then it's more complicated. I found these web pages that might be helpful:

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
Never tried if this work with 2 ports at the same time, but here is a product with the connections you want: (you might need a dvi to vga adaptor over that if your monitor doesn't have a display port or dvi port.)

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=8119&seq=1&format=2

A thunderbolt dock would be another possible solution

http://www.belkin.com/us/p/P-F4U085/
https://www.elgato.com/fr/thunderbolt/thunderbolt-2-dock

I vote for the dock option. I picked up a Caldigit TS2 for grins and have been inexplicably enamored with it more than I expected.

yangchewren

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
I vote for the dock option. I picked up a Caldigit TS2 for grins and have been inexplicably enamored with it more than I expected.

This information is if you want to use a thunderbolt dock:

http://www.caldigit.com/thunderboltstation/faq.asp

HDMI FAQ 2

-----------------------------

To connect 2 X non-thunderbolt displays, you'll need a USB to HDMI/DP/VGA, which is essentially a very weak external GPU connectable through USB.

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
This information is if you want to use a thunderbolt dock:

http://www.caldigit.com/thunderboltstation/faq.asp

HDMI FAQ 2

-----------------------------

To connect 2 X non-thunderbolt displays, you'll need a USB to HDMI/DP/VGA, which is essentially a very weak external GPU connectable through USB.

Good catch. I have an OWC Thunderbay IV attached to the TS2 dock, and with that setup I can drive three displays independently. I thought I had the OWC disconnected (it prevents booting into Bootcamp), but I must have connected it back to the dock.

Curious if I can get 4 displays running on my Late 2012 iMac 680MX. Might have to try that...

elfxmilhouse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Northeast USA
The thunderbolt docks will still only drive one non-thunderbolt display. Two is not possible using one thunderbolt controller.

You will either need to daisy chain another thunderbolt dock or hard drive to drive a second non-thunderbolt display.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
The thunderbolt docks will still only drive one non-thunderbolt display. Two is not possible using one thunderbolt controller.

You will either need to daisy chain another thunderbolt dock or hard drive to drive a second non-thunderbolt display.
There are Thunderbolt 3 to Dual DisplayPort or HDMI adapters that allows outputting to more than one display. They will behave as Thunderbolt displays. Some PC's may allow only one display to be output from Thunderbolt. I don't think any Macs have that limitation. A Thunderbolt 2 Mac will also require a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. A Mac running Sierra or later may need a tb3-enabler patch to work with the Thunderbolt 3 to Dual DisplayPort or HDMI adapters. The Dual DisplayPort adapter may allow two 4K@60 Hz displays but only for Thunderbolt 3 computers. A Thunderbolt 2 computer may support two 4K@30 Hz displays or two 2560x1600@60Hz displays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.