Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hydr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Here is my wish list:

• Allow family to use the Photos. If so be it, let me login into Photos on my wifes IOS devices so she can be part of our library.
  • Geotagging + a world map to browse.
  • When dragging items out of Photos, don´t convert/resize to lower versions. Tired of having to do File->Export->Unmodified Original
  • Edit Sort Photos -> Date, Size, Number of people, Length, "Color", Camera, Ascending/Descending
  • Third Party Filters, I would like to decent Adobe filters in here.
  • Ability to sync Smart-albums to IOS/Other Macs
  • Option to put Info Pane fixed into window.
  • More parameteres in Smart-albums, like the ability to keywords = none. Maybe smart-album based on geo info.
  • I know this is a long shot. but I want more analytics into Photos. Analyse my photos and tag them based on main color, "sky" - "water" "objects" "number of people" "Animals" "eating" etc. 2015 and very little analytics in desktop clients vs say cloud. Time to fix it.
  • Faces on IOS/Macs (now missing)

It´s a great v1, now give us the same urgency to improve v1.1. Apple need 100% focus on Photos.

dringkor

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2008
+1: Option to put Info Pane fixed into window.

• Ability to select multiple photos in split view.
  • Dark view option in non-edit mode, as in edit mode.
  • Move "Done" button to main screen while editing in full-screen mode.
  • Include search function in Keyword Manager.
  • Remove unused keywords from keyword database.
  • Import directly into album, with create folder as an option.
  • Apply keywords on import.
  • Star ratings and flags.
  • Export to Smugmug.

internalstorm

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2015
  • Bring back Events, or a way to edit and organize Moments.
  • Fix sorting options! Sort by date and ascending/descending
  • If Albums have taken the place of events, have an easy way to create them, and bring back the function of being able to quickly see photo thumbnails when dragging the mouse over the album thumbnail.
  • Ability to set how much space on a Mac the optimized storage takes up (and on the iPhone, too)

I am quite fed up with the lack of features in Photos and how years worth of Events that many of us have spent copious amounts of time on as a way of organizing our photos has gone out the window in favour the mess that is Moments.

hydr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
+1: Option to put Info Pane fixed into window.

• Ability to select multiple photos in split view.
  • Dark view option in non-edit mode, as in edit mode.
  • Move "Done" button to main screen while editing in full-screen mode.
  • Include search function in Keyword Manager.
  • Remove unused keywords from keyword database.
  • Import directly into album, with create folder as an option.
  • Apply keywords on import.
  • Star ratings and flags.
  • Export to Smugmug.

Strongly agree with you on these + add batch support for editing.

----------

• Bring back Events, or a way to edit and organize Moments.
  • Fix sorting options! Sort by date and ascending/descending
  • If Albums have taken the place of events, have an easy way to create them, and bring back the function of being able to quickly see photo thumbnails when dragging the mouse over the album thumbnail.
  • Ability to set how much space on a Mac the optimized storage takes up (and on the iPhone, too)

I am quite fed up with the lack of features in Photos and how years worth of Events that many of us have spent copious amounts of time on as a way of organizing our photos has gone out the window in favour the mess that is Moments.

Events are still there! It´s just called Albums now. Great thing now is it supports sub-events/folders. I took my 90 something Events and re-organized them into: Vactions, Events, Celebration and Family - then I put the events in the correct album as a sub-album.

One thing that is vital to Photos if you want to continue using Events like iPhoto is to create a smart-album to show photos not in Albums. That way you can be sure to always organise your photos into Albums like with Events before.

MDJCM

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2009
UK, South
Here is my wish list:

• Allow family to use the Photos. If so be it, let me login into Photos on my wifes IOS devices so she can be part of our library.
    [*]Geotagging + a world map to browse.
  • When dragging items out of Photos, don´t convert/resize to lower versions. Tired of having to do File->Export->Unmodified Original
    [*] Edit Sort Photos -> Date, Size, Number of people, Length, "Color", Camera, Ascending/Descending
  • Third Party Filters, I would like to decent Adobe filters in here.
  • Ability to sync Smart-albums to IOS/Other Macs
    [*] Option to put Info Pane fixed into window.
  • More parameteres in Smart-albums, like the ability to keywords = none. Maybe smart-album based on geo info.
  • I know this is a long shot. but I want more analytics into Photos. Analyse my photos and tag them based on main color, "sky" - "water" "objects" "number of people" "Animals" "eating" etc. 2015 and very little analytics in desktop clients vs say cloud. Time to fix it.
    [*] Faces on IOS/Macs (now missing)

It´s a great v1, now give us the same urgency to improve v1.1. Apple need 100% focus on Photos.

• I found they kept the "Places" map in the "Get Info" window. It is fully navigable. But the window is a fixed size (quite small). I'd like the Places tab back at the top with full screen map. The key is, to click in the white space between Albums in the album view and the Get Info window factors in all photos and shows a small map with all pins.
  • Also, ability to combine/merge Albums
  • Sort Albums by Date Ascending/Descending
  • Filter Photos by camera type etc

I don't miss Faces, I was looking for a way to disable it in iPhoto

hydr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
  • I found they kept the "Places" map in the "Get Info" window. It is fully navigable. But the window is a fixed size (quite small). I'd like the Places tab back at the top with full screen map. The key is, to click in the white space between Albums in the album view and the Get Info window factors in all photos and shows a small map with all pins.
  • Also, ability to combine/merge Albums
  • Sort Albums by Date Ascending/Descending
  • Filter Photos by camera type etc

I don't miss Faces, I was looking for a way to disable it in iPhoto
You can combine/merge Albums though.

You can also filter photos by camera etc via Smart-albums.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Fixing the heaps of photostream issues! Mainly, deleting of imported photos.

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
Smart Album syning to other iOS devices/OS X machines, as previously stated, is a must. I was pretty annoyed when I realized that this isn't supported.

hydr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Smart Album syning to other iOS devices/OS X machines, as previously stated, is a must. I was pretty annoyed when I realized that this isn't supported.

Luckily we can re-create them easily though, which is good until they are sync´ing.

I even keyword tagget all my "Faces", and set up smart-albums to get Faces albums + can search IOS name_face for everyone.

b.c.

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2008
Bring back:

1) the eyedropper tool
- in iPhoto it was simple to pick a neutral gray or white area in the photo with the eyedropper to correct the color cast/white balance of a photo. The iOS8-style color cast adjustment in Photos is not as useful.

2) when you drag & drop a named folder of photos from the Finder into iPhoto, it would automatically create an Album (and Event) with the same name as the folder to contain the imported pics. Now in Photos, this handy organizational feature is lost - drag a folder and no Album is created, you must afterwards then manually create and name a new album and group photos if you want to organize beyond just chronologically (and of course we lost Events, but I can live without that)

3) a very simple perspective correction tool, like the how the Crop tool now allows rotate around Z-axis, also allow a simple "tilt" around the X-axis, if that makes sense

and +1 to these previously mentioned features:
4) the large Places map
5) SmugMug export

internalstorm

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2015

----------

Events are still there! It´s just called Albums now. Great thing now is it supports sub-events/folders. I took my 90 something Events and re-organized them into: Vactions, Events, Celebration and Family - then I put the events in the correct album as a sub-album.

One thing that is vital to Photos if you want to continue using Events like iPhoto is to create a smart-album to show photos not in Albums. That way you can be sure to always organise your photos into Albums like with Events before.

I get what you are saying but Albums is not a substitute. We could do Albums already in iPhoto. One huge problem is the way to sort Albums is broken. It is no longer chronological like in iPhoto with Events. It is scrambled or by Album name, and browsing through albums is not nearly as intuitive, as there is no rollover preview, and there is no easy way to delete the real image file in Albums without right clicking on photos and manually deleting them one by one. Drag and drop functionality to create new albums is non-existant and moving photos around is very difficult.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2012
here is my wish list:

• allow family to use the photos. If so be it, let me login into photos on my wifes ios devices so she can be part of our library.
    [*]geotagging + a world map to browse. ...

yes, please!

dringkor

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2008
Bring back:

1) the eyedropper tool

It is there! Edit mode -> Adjust -> Add Adjustment: select White Balance. A white balance adjustment shows up in which you can select neutral gray, skin tone, or temperature / tint, with an eye dropper.

Reactions: orbital~debris

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Am I missing something? I have faces in Photos for Mac? It imported all of it from iPhoto and I'm able to tag faces still.

But I'm aware it doesn't yet exist in iOS yet.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Full screen view for Videos. Silly that iOS has it, but the Mac doesn't.

Also, I think they need to optimize the Videos area of Photos.app, it's kind of clunky and slow right now at v1.0.

sjjones

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2011
Northern Kentucky

----------

I second this. The use of subfolders in Albums makes it a lot easier to organize my 10,000+ pictures. And I love the idea to create a smart album to make sure I'm not forgetting to file any pictures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.