Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

os_x_yosemite_round_icon.jpg
Following the April 8 public release of OS X 10.10.3, Apple has today released a supplemental update for software, which fixes a video driver bug that prevented Macs from starting when running certain apps that are designed to capture video.

Today's supplemental update is available immediately for all OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 users from the Mac App Store.
The OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 Supplemental Update fixes a video driver issue that may prevent your Mac from starting up when running certain apps that capture video.
OS X 10.10.3 brought several new features to Apple's desktop operating system, including the new Photos for OS X app, a revamped emoji picker, new diversified emoji, Spotlight suggestions for lookup, and a bunch of bug fixes and performance improvements.

Article Link: Apple Releases OS X 10.10.3 Supplemental Update With Video Driver Fix

Henk Poley

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
Do they tell you how to install the fix if your Mac does not start? (Not that I have that problem)

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
thankfully no problems here.

Amazing that even after a public beta this was never caught. just goes to show how complex OS X has gotten.

AppStoreNerd

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2015
when are they going to fix the photos app bug? The settings to not copy photos to photo library is not working The photos app is ignoring the settings

Last edited:

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
thankfully no problems here.

Amazing that even after a public beta this was never caught. just goes to show how complex OS X has gotten.
It's not exactly a common use case to have screencasting software running when your machine starts is it?

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
It's not exactly a common use case to have screencasting software running when your machine starts is it?

No, its not. But it is a little surprising that with all the developers testing plus the million public testers, that not one of them had this use case. And yet the issue was significant enough to warrant a quick supplemental update.

sualpine

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
Thats the unofficial fix?

you have concluded that your issue is a bug in Apple's code. How much testing / troubleshooting have you done that led you to this conclusion? Testing with other routers and also after you have erased and installed is definitely standard troubleshooting.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
No, its not. But it is a little surprising that with all the developers testing plus the million public testers, that not one of them had this use case. And yet the issue was significant enough to warrant a quick supplemental update.
Notice how it only said "with certain apps"?

That winnows down the testing pool even more significantly.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
I hope this fixes the bug in safari that causes it to freeze and then unexpectedly shutdown. Has this problem on the 10.10.3 beta and then Apple genius said wasn't hardware issue, factory reinstalled the OS to 10.10.2 and it never happened. Since 10.10.3 was released, it has been happening again. At least once per day. Always when scrolling in Safari.

Bigsk8r

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Austin, Texas
I suppose that having your Mac actually run after an update is a good thing. Like others have said, it makes you wonder why it wasn't uncovered sooner...

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I hope this fixes the bug in safari that causes it to freeze and then unexpectedly shutdown. Has this problem on the 10.10.3 beta and then Apple genius said wasn't hardware issue, factory reinstalled the OS to 10.10.2 and it never happened. Since 10.10.3 was released, it has been happening again. At least once per day. Always when scrolling in Safari.

What graphics card do you have ?

sualpine

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
I suppose that having your Mac actually run after an update is a good thing. Like others have said, it makes you wonder why it wasn't uncovered sooner...

Apple can not and should not be expected to evade / code around your random launch on boot 3rd party kexts. If you don't know what this means, then, exactly.

SnowLucas

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2015
Needed a PRAM reset

This update made my rMBP 15" login screen become set to a low resolution which resolved when you actually logged into the desktop.

A PRAM reset seems to have fixed this.

In case anyone else has this happen.

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado

SW is often released with known bugs in order to get to market quick. Microsoft pioneered and perfected this concept!

Often, a bug will be identified and classified as non-GA impacting during Beta, and will be scheduled for the first possible update.

Likely a few key customers reported this post-GA and put pressure on Apple to push the supplemental update sooner than the next scheduled minor release.

Bigsk8r

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Austin, Texas
When you erase and restore / get a new router.

you have concluded that your issue is a bug in Apple's code. How much testing / troubleshooting have you done that led you to this conclusion? Testing with other routers and also after you have erased and installed is definitely standard troubleshooting.

Apple can not and should not be expected to evade / code around your random launch on boot 3rd party kexts. If you don't know what this means, then, exactly.

You're such a charmer!

I have not seen kernel extensions - 3rd party or otherwise - mentioned in these articles. You must have access to information I have not seen yet on the topic. I'm green with envy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.