Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SD449

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
Hi

I have never criticised battery life before as I am happy with charging nightly, but having been off work recently and using my iPhone more socially in the day I have seen my battery drain quickly

Today I have only gotten 5 hours out of a full charge, is this normal or should I go to the Apple Store to get it checked out?

It's even more curious when the majority of my usage is through Safari

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 137

gmintz09

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2015
From what I have seen in other 6 users, that doesn't seem normal. Most of the time when I've seen people post their usage from their 6 it's around 6.5-7.5 hrs or more of usage (depending on how they use it of course). Were you in a low reception area maybe? What was your screen brightness? Those things can impact how fast the battery drains. Is this a repeated usage time? Could have just been a one time thing and your battery may not be bad.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
That's really low and below normal. I used to get around 7-7.5hrs usage out of the 6. How's the signal strength where you're located throughout the day?

SD449

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
From what I have seen in other 6 users, that doesn't seem normal. Most of the time when I've seen people post their usage from their 6 it's around 6.5-7.5 hrs or more of usage (depending on how they use it of course). Were you in a low reception area maybe? What was your screen brightness? Those things can impact how fast the battery drains. Is this a repeated usage time? Could have just been a one time thing and your battery may not be bad.

I noticed it a couple of days ago so thought I would charge it full and run it down today to see the results

As I type this the brightness is at about 45% and I haven't changed this manually today that I recall.

My signal hasn't been noticeably bad but I have seen that show up under battery usage before but isn't on there for today

Seem like I might need an appointment at the Apple Store #

----------

That's really low and below normal. I used to get around 7-7.5hrs usage out of the 6. How's the signal strength where you're located throughout the day?

Just double checked and I don't have a low signal strength today under battery usage

Coupz

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2013
Well that's really not normal.

My usage after this day. i6 64GB

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 146

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
What is your brightness setting? For me it is the most significant factor in battery usage. I set mine at 30%.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
What is your brightness setting? For me it is the most significant factor in battery usage. I set mine at 30%.

This. Also cellular coverage. You appear to only have two bars of coverage, which will also drain your battery quite a bit.

5 hours is perfectly fine with low cellular coverage and/or high brightness.

SD449

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012

I have mine sent on automatic unless I'm in bed when I turn it all the way down

gmintz09

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2015
I have mine sent on automatic unless I'm in bed when I turn it all the way down

Actually from what I have read, Auto Brightness uses more energy because it's constantly changing the brightness. It's better to just do it manually from the Control Center. That might be part of your issue. Have you turned off the parallax effect too in the settings? That can drain your battery as well.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Hi

I have never criticised battery life before as I am happy with charging nightly, but having been off work recently and using my iPhone more socially in the day I have seen my battery drain quickly

Today I have only gotten 5 hours out of a full charge, is this normal or should I go to the Apple Store to get it checked out?

It's even more curious when the majority of my usage is through Safari

Any help would be greatly appreciated

There is a similar thread like this for someone's 6+ and I asked them if their location services icon was always there, or was it just whilst the screenshot was taken. I'll direct the same question to you, because if your location/GPS icon is always lit then that will drain your battery bigtime. In the privacy settings you can see under 'location services' which app is using the GPS 24/7. It is most likely to be something in the system services menu at the bottom.

rcckks96

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2013
Stamford,CT
Looks about the same as a typical day for me when I'm at work on LTE all day. My iPhone's have always gotten me around 4-5 hours.
Now, if I'm on wifi all day, I'll get around 6.5 hours usage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.