Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netsped

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
So, I have a 13" mid-2012 MBA. I've been the only owner/user for almost the last 3 years.

Since Mavericks was released, I activated FileVault 2 and also the Firmware Password. FileVault 2 has been on since then.

I've disabled the firmware password a couple of times to reset pram with no problems. I've booted from USBs and SD Cards a couple of times to install Yosemite and for other things.

Last week I bought a new rMBP so I'm going to give my MBA to my dad, I was setting it today and when I was almost ready I remembered that I had the firmware password option on so decided to turn it off (if my dad ever needs assistance with it and I'm not around, I want him to be able to enter recovery or boot from a bootable SD card I created with Yosemite 10.10.3 without the need to enter any passwords).

So, pressed cmd+r to enter recovery, it asked for the password. I type it and it starts loading the recovery thing.

It boots into recovery and I go to disable the firmware password only to find out that even though I know the password and it is the SAME password I just typed to be able to boot to where I am right now, it says that the password is incorrect.

I'm pretty sure I'm not typing it wrong. I even printed it and checked letter by letter that it is correct and I can boot to recovery 100% of the times with this password, I just can't disable or change it because it says it is incorrect.

What can I do? Other than printing the password for my dad to keep around if he ever needs it.

The last time I disable it to reset pram was maybe when 10.10.1 was released, and I was able to disable and then enable it again.

Someone...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.