Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
I usually reply with "it was a thousand dollars" and then either walk away, or just keep my eyes low like... yup, it happened. Thats how much it costs.

Anyone else notice that people consider it unthinkable to have a phone this expensive and this large? But realistically they would love to have one and rock out on Garageband or play VainGlory or Real Racing 3 or something.

Its definitely worth the money.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
The general public is usually surprised at any amount over $199 for an iPhone.

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
I have a friend who has a 6 Plus, and he says he gets asked that quite a bit, along with "How can you even use that!?!11??!" I've never gotten that with my 6, but I still get the occasional "Is your phone bent yet????" :rolleyes:

I'm sure people will be asking how much my Apple Watch cost when the time comes!

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis

Nothing is bad as someone getting an iPhone for "free" by signing a 2-year contract and then paying at least $450 for said device over that period in addition to their $36 "upgrade fee" or whatever.

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
Most people don't "get" Apple, and why would they? They just simplistically associate anything higher in price than an artificial, arbitrary cost ceiling as "not worth it". The majority of people using iPhone are just buying it on recommendation or through association with their peers, and don't understand how immensely useful and time saving Apple products are, not to mention the impeccable levels of fit and finish and the top level tech/customer support afforded to them by having chosen an Apple product. Aside from all that, I haven't even started on productivity and apps... people just see shiny shiny, they hear it's the best from their peers but they don't know why, but they know everyone has one, so that's enough of a recommendation to that justify an investment.

Price alone is an extremely stupid basis upon which to makes one's purchase decisions for such complex and endlessly useful tech. Having said all this, a HUGE portion of the world just use their phones to go on Facebook and take ridiculous, pouty "selfies", so any old cheapo phone will do that just nicely.

I realise I haven't drawn to a well defined conclusion here, but I'm finding it hard to find one to get to. Price is a stupid reason to eliminate Apple if your time and peace of mind mean anything to you, but if they don't, buy any old phone, that's what I'd say.

Apple is about a long term overall experience - you can't summarise emotion and workflow in a price tag, that's beyond idiotic.

BeeGood

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2013
Lot 23E. Somewhere in Georgia.

Yep.

And not to sound snooty, but I don't have very long conversations about my iPhones with people who don't understand that nobody in the history of ever has only paid $199 for an iPhone.

To answer the OP, no one has commented on the price of my 6+, but someone did mention the size saying it seemed way to big. I showed him that I could do most things one handed and he was a little surprised.

cymolia

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
Orange County, FL
You get what you pay for is what it all comes down to. Someone might buy a cheap android phone and be happy with it and some will go for the big boy 6+ or galaxy s6 and be happy with their purchase.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Be prepared to get asked this question a lot when you have Apple Watch. If they ask me that too many times I'll ask them how much do they weigh!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Haven't seen anyone ask anyone a question like that. Plus anyone can find the prices pretty quickly directly from Apple or most places online. Not to mention that everyone's price can be different depending if they buy the device outright, on contract, or on financing, or whatnot.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Nobody has ever commented on any of my iPhones, and I have a 6+ currently.
Oh sorry, I forgot. Someone once called my iPhone 5 a girl's phone...

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Anyone else notice that people consider it unthinkable to have a phone this expensive and this large? But realistically they would love to have one and rock out on Garageband or play VainGlory or Real Racing 3 or something.

"Worth every last penny."

That's how I'd respond.

And frankly, the exact amount I paid is none of their business. I didn't buy an iPhone 6 Plus because I wanted to impress anyone. I bought it because that's what I wanted, and because that's what works for me.

So they bought a $99 Droid? Good for them. I hope they enjoy it. I'm enjoying mine just fine, too, and that's all they need to know.

Anyway, I know I'll make most of the money I spent back when it's upgrade time and I eBay it.

And the same is gonna be true when I have my Apple Watch. I didn't buy it for other people, I bought it for me. So someone wants to comment that they don't want one or don't see the point? Hey, good to know, but I didn't ask. And I sincerely hope they enjoy their Casio.

scwinsett

Suspended
Apr 21, 2010
Denver
I usually reply with "it was a thousand dollars" and then either walk away, or just keep my eyes low like... yup, it happened. Thats how much it costs.

thats so tacky! no one has ever asked me that

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Be prepared to get asked this question a lot when you have Apple Watch. If they ask me that too many times I'll ask them how much do they weigh!

Two of my colleagues have already declared it too expensive :eek: They don't know that I've bought one yet :D

Sulten

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
Like they say if you have to ask how much you prob can't afford it. LMAO

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Own a 6 and have never been asked what it is worth. Most of the people I hang with either have a Galaxy S5 or own the 6 or 6+.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
If you don't smoke, it's cheaper than smoking ;)

At the end of the day, it's just money, right? Some people burn theirs and inhale it.

Wallabe

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2015
The key word here is social-economics. It really depends on where you live. If you live in a wealthy area, you might not get asked that often, unless someone is genuinely interested in buying one for themselves. Usually that question is the last thing that's asked, after they asked what can it do.

The first question people ask out of their mouth, "How much does it cost?" are the type of people who can't afford it.

Sadly, those types are the kind that want to display/look wealthy, rather than be wealthy. They have jewelries and iPhones, but they still collect welfare checks.

Esse quam videri. To be, rather than to seem (to be).

Last edited:

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom

Miscer checking in.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I tend to buy 32+ GB models but whenever someone asks me, I normally quote the price of the base model. Mostly because the people who ask me are seriously considering buying but I know they're not the type who'll spend extra on storage. :)

Same thing for iPad. I might buy the 128GB LTE model but when asked how much it costs, I'll just say $500. :p

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
Listen folks, a millionaire doesn't become (and stay) a millionaire by not knowing the cost of things - this whole nonsense about "If you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it" is what the nouveau riche say, in a vain and arrogant attempt to feel superior to people who they (think) are less wealthy than they are - it makes them feel more powerful if they can just throw their money around with reckless abandon, but I bet you this... I bet they don't pay their tax bill without questioning the total. They think they've achieved a "goal" in life and splash it all around so that everybody knows how much they have "achieved", yet are very often spiritually and emotionally bankrupt! Okay, so you've reached your goal of being rich? Well done you for setting your sights so low, now what......?

If you've ever watched TV programmes about mega wealthy people who buy jewellery, you very often hear them asking the price, even when they know full well it will be £20,000-£100,000, because knowing the price is how a shrewd person gets the best deal, which is how you STAY rich.

Never make the arrogant assumption that you are better off than someone, or that you know what they can afford; you can't, and don't know. If someone wants to know the price, they're asking, so it's polite and honest to tell them (unless you're ashamed, in which case this may remind you that you've only bought something to "look good"). If you're completely secure within yourself as a person, utterly confident, then why WOULDN'T you tell them, if asked? There's nothing more annoying than faux modesty, so just spit it out and quit all the mind games and over analysis.

Things COST money. Do you think Apple buys hundreds of millions of screens from LG without asking the price and bartering? If anyone can afford to not ask the price, you'd think Apple would be them.

If someone asks me the price of my iPad or iPhone, they ask the question in order to get the answer, and I am in no need to defend my answer, as I use it and enjoy it, but I'm not going to be a moron about it and assume things about them.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Maybe its my typical glowing disposition when I'm in public, but no one has ever asked me anything about my iPhone 6+ :)

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
iPhones have been around for long enough and have become so popular that I didn't think that people were still surprised by the price.

----------

Listen folks, a millionaire doesn't become (and stay) a millionaire by not knowing the cost of things - this whole nonsense about "If you have to ask how much it costs, you can't afford it" is what the nouveau riche say, in a vain and arrogant attempt to feel superior to people who they (think) are less wealthy than they are - it makes them feel more powerful if they can just throw their money around with reckless abandon, but I bet you this... I bet they don't pay their tax bill without questioning the total. They think they've achieved a "goal" in life and splash it all around so that everybody knows how much they have "achieved", yet are very often spiritually and emotionally bankrupt! Okay, so you've reached your goal of being rich? Well done you for setting your sights so low, now what......?

If you've ever watched TV programmes about mega wealthy people who buy jewellery, you very often hear them asking the price, even when they know full well it will be £20,000-£100,000, because knowing the price is how a shrewd person gets the best deal, which is how you STAY rich.

Never make the arrogant assumption that you are better off than someone, or that you know what they can afford; you can't, and don't know. If someone wants to know the price, they're asking, so it's polite and honest to tell them (unless you're ashamed, in which case this may remind you that you've only bought something to "look good"). If you're completely secure within yourself as a person, utterly confident, then why WOULDN'T you tell them, if asked? There's nothing more annoying than faux modesty, so just spit it out and quit all the mind games and over analysis.

Things COST money. Do you think Apple buys hundreds of millions of screens from LG without asking the price and bartering? If anyone can afford to not ask the price, you'd think Apple would be them.

If someone asks me the price of my iPad or iPhone, they ask the question in order to get the answer, and I am in no need to defend my answer, as I use it and enjoy it, but I'm not going to be a moron about it and assume things about them.

Very good point. The truly wealthy, especially those who actually EARNED their wealth, are more conscious of costs than most people. A major reason why people find themselves drowning in debt is because they don't worry enough about how much things cost. Instead it's just, "I'll take out another loan, or buy it on credit". There are so many people who try to look wealthy, but are achieving it by living beyond their means.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The key word here is social-economics. It really depends on where you live. If you live in a wealthy area, you might not get asked that often, unless someone is genuinely interested in buying one for themselves. Usually that question is the last thing that's asked, after they asked what can it do.

The first question people ask out of their mouth, "How much does it cost?" are the type of people who can't afford it.

Sadly, those types are the kind that want to display/look wealthy, rather than be wealthy. They have jewelries and iPhones, but they still collect welfare checks.

Esse quam videri. To be, rather than to seem (to be).

Considering costs cost different amounts to different people given contracts, specials from carriers, etc., it seems like a rather silly question to ask to begin with. And with most of these products pricing information can easily be obtained online, and often even in news articles and reports. Making asking someone personally about the price that much more of a moot question, no matter the area or anything like that.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I'm honestly surprised anyone would ask that these days. iPhones are so ubiquitous now that you'd think everyone was used to seeing them.

The only time anyone has ever noticed my phone is when I had just gotten my iPhone 5. I pre-ordered and got it on release day, so a lot of people hadn't seen it in person yet. The girl at the coffee shop saw it and asked if she could see it close up; I let her since she's been selling me coffee for years.

But that was years ago; iPhones weren't QUITE everywhere yet. Now they are, and they're no longer special. I bought my iPhone 6 because I like it and can afford it. There's really nothing unusual about it anymore.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.