Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Starting on April 24, it appears that Apple will be offering "Apple Watch Basics" workshops in some of its retail stores around the world, helping customers who begin receiving their watches on that day to learn how to use them.

The classes are listed as an available option on April 24 on individual retail store websites and in the "Stores" section of the Apple Store app. Not all retail locations are displaying Apple Watch workshop availability at this time, but select stores both in the United States and in other countries are offering workshops as of today. Workshops take place at 1.5 hour intervals all day long in most locations and are also available on Saturday and Sunday. It appears that some locations may also be offering extended hours to allow more time for hosting workshops.

applewatchbasicsworkshop.jpg
Customers who are interested in attending one of these workshops to learn more about the Apple Watch can schedule an appointment beginning today in a store where the appointments are listed. Not all stores are showing the workshops that will be available on April 24, however.

Some stores are showing additional Apple Watch classes beyond the introductory basics class, with a "Stay in Touch with Apple Watch" class also available in select locations.

applewatchbasicsappointment.jpg
Due to constrained supplies, there will be a limited number of customers who will be receiving their Apple Watches on April 24, but users who have pre-ordered and do not yet have their devices can also attend to learn more about the device. Given the few customers who will have watches in-hand on April 24, Apple recently ceased emphasizing the date on its website, replacing all "available 4.24.15" launch wording with "the Watch is coming."

Pre-orders for the Apple Watch began on April 10 at 12:01 a.m. Pacific Time and began selling out within mere minutes. Within six hours, all Apple Watches were sold out and no models offered the initial 4/24 to 5/8 shipping estimate. Apple Watch orders placed today will not ship until June and beyond.

(Thanks, Caleb!)

Article Link: Apple Stores to Offer 'Apple Watch Basics' Workshops Beginning April 24

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
Yeah, I have a hard time believing that any gold watch buyer would get group training. Why even put the gold watch on the page?

hlevolve

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2014
I spoke with apple support today and learned that at least a portion of the watches will be shipping out from Tennessee. I cant wait to get mine and as I am only 1 state away hopefully this means it will get here quick!

I don't think I'll need an apple watch basics course... I've been watching pretty much every video that has been released for the thing since last year...

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
so you're saying the apple watch UI is so confusing they have to run clinics to teach people how to use it?

how much time went into this thing?

shouldn't it be intuitive so anyone can pick it up and use?

or am I just reading this wrong?

kybldmstr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Orleans, LA
so you're saying the apple watch UI is so confusing they have to run clinics to teach people how to use it?

They offer iPhone basics too. Of course they would offer simple basic courses on the watch as well

mrcobra92

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
Well at least this means some people will get theirs on the 24th! (Hopefully mine being one of them :D )

coltman75

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010

They offer "basics" classes on all their products.

Every time I've seen a class in progress, though, it's always a group of wheelchairs and oxygen tanks.

thewebb

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2014
AZ

You're reading it wrong. Remember they had these for the original iPhone. This does not make the product unintuitive.

christarp

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2013

Have you ever been to an apple store? They often have group training on ipads, macbooks, iphones, etc.

Great customer support and in person training isn't something that should be criticized. Not all customers understand what "bluetooth pairing" even is. I've yet to see another company step up to the plate like apple has by offering these group training sessions.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area

They have iPhone training and iPad training and Mac training...reason? Some people need training.

DynaFXD

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
East Coast
Besides the nipple, name one other user interface that is so intuitive that _everybody_ can use it? Ever stop to think that there are those out there that do not read every last scrap or information on a device and may enjoy some initial hand holding? This maybe a practice session to hone the approach that will be used on the more casual customers that are coming in the future too. Seriously, Apple is offering a free session to learn to use use your device to its full potential and you paint this as a _bad_ thing? Reeeeaaallly?

RealKrS

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
What about famous people? Do they get Workshops starting tomorrow maybe? Since now they get first gig on everything Apple Watch related!..

mitso

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2012
Is it just me or does it seem Apple are trying to hard with this whole Apple Watch thing? Rather than allowing customers find the void it fills they're ramming it down our throats. Either way it won't guarantee them a successful product.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
"To get the time, bring the watch to the viewing position by bending your elbow to approximately 90 degrees, then rotate you wrist so that the watch comes into view."

"What about downloading apps to it?"

"That's the advanced class."

RDeckard

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Is it just me or does it seem Apple are trying to hard with this whole Apple Watch thing? Rather than allowing customers find the void it fills they're ramming it down our throats. Either way it won't guarantee them a successful product.

It's probably just you.

"Trying (too) hard..."???

It's called a product launch. Marketing. Sales. Education. Support. Etc. (This is the "education" part).

"Ramming it down our throats?"

In this case, I'm guessing YOU took the initiative to read about this and YOU took the initiative to comment on it.

Quick question: How difficult is it to just *move along* if something doesn't suit you?

Quick answer: Not very. Try it sometime!

RockSpider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
I might go to one of these workshops, I'm not getting an aWatch, but I've never been able to tell the time properly because I get the big and small hands mixed up, I can just say mines not arriving till December.

dtich

macrumors regular
May 27, 2007

oh, no time at all, they just slapped the thing together from junk parts sitting in the garage and decided to sell it. no biggie...........

sigh.

SG1234

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2015
My local store has an Apple Watch Basics class at 10am on the 24th. If says to bring your watch and phone. Even if people get their watch on the 24th, it doesn't seem like many would have it in time to get there for a 10am class..unless they arrive early.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.