Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jan 29, 2003, 04:27 PM   #1
blacksun73
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up 12' Powerbook in stock!!!!!

Hard time finding that 12"? We have them in stock!!! Let me know . 1-800-622-6222 ext 20561 MacWarehouse.
blacksun73 is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2003, 05:24 PM   #2
iconrad
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to iconrad
This sounds alot like a computer generated message.
iconrad is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2003, 08:43 PM   #3
MacFan25
macrumors 68000

I wonder when the Apple stores and re-sellers will get the new PowerBooks in. Or do they already have them in?
Old Jan 29, 2003, 09:03 PM   #4
SoonToGetAMac
macrumors 6502

some stores (I saw one at an apple store) have the 12" store-demo models, but I don't know when they will be available to buy.
SoonToGetAMac is offline   0
Old Jan 29, 2003, 09:46 PM   #5
G4scott
macrumors 68020

My local CompUSA just put theirs out yesterday (tuesday). I think I was the first person to actually look at it, because after a while, a guy came up and said that he'd just put it out 10 minutes ago...

The thing he did say that makes me wonder, is that they don't know how they're going to display the 17" PowerBook, since it's so wide, and their notebook locking mechanisms aren't that big... They can give one to me for safe keeping
Old Jan 30, 2003, 12:13 AM   #6
Rower_CPU
Moderator emeritus

Saw the boxes out at our campus bookstore...all black, very slick.

No demo model out yet.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 12:36 AM   #7
moby1
macrumors 6502

Smile Got it!

My 12" PowerBook arrived from MacWarehouse this morning.

Free printer & case arrived yesterday. No sign of free battery yet.

I posted Xbench results in another thread. I won't have time to evaluate the new PowerBook until this weekend.

moby1
moby1 is offline   0
Old Jan 30, 2003, 04:34 AM   #8
kidtronix
macrumors regular

if you get the new 12", make a photo-diary of when you pick it out of the box!
kidtronix is offline   0
Old Jan 30, 2003, 07:22 AM   #9
blacksun73
macrumors newbie

Geez, I have never been told I sound like a computer. LOL . Just wanted to let people know that we had 12 in stock. I was reading peoples posts about their estimated ship dates and for some reason we got an early shipment.
blacksun73 is offline   0
Old Jan 30, 2003, 08:52 AM   #10
jrv3034
macrumors 6502a

CompUSA in NYC has it (the store demo model). I just saw it yesterday. It's pretty sweet, but the curved edges make it look too much like an iBook. I liked the more linear, straight edge design of the 15" TiBook better, plus the aluminum doesen't feel quite as nice, somehow. Still, the thing is tiny! I'know a lot of people who would love one of these things...
jrv3034 is offline   0
Old Jan 30, 2003, 10:21 AM   #11
davy the bunny
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to davy the bunny
In Stock in Dallas

If you are in Dallas, TX both stores have them. Apple Store WillowBend has no SuperDrive equipped ones and last night only had one combo drive that was on hold for someone. The manager told me that the other Apple Store in Dallas, (Apple Store Knox Street), may still have some in stock being that they are new and likely got more of the new hardware than what he had.
davy the bunny is offline   0
Old Jan 30, 2003, 10:52 AM   #12
iShater
macrumors Demi-God

Schaumburg (Woodfield) Apple Store had the 12" PBs since this past weekend, they also have the Superdrive version.

I almost bought one on Monday! Almost ....

Last edited by iShater; Jan 30, 2003 at 02:08 PM.
iShater is offline   0
Old Jan 30, 2003, 11:15 AM   #13
yogi477
macrumors regular

I GOT MINE!!!

I got my 12 PB today it is awesome so sleek and cold and it has that new computer smell about it.
yogi477 is offline   0
Old Jan 30, 2003, 11:23 AM   #14
hariya
macrumors newbie

I am feeling giddy

I got an email this morning that my PB12" shipped from Taiwan. I ordered on Jan 11 and the date the apple store gave me was Feb 11 so, if you ordered around that time, keep your eyes peeled.

This is my first mac purchase even though I have been using macs at school for ever. I am also looking forward to the dual 1.25 I just put an order in for to replace the dying AGP 400 PM.
hariya is offline   0
Old Jan 30, 2003, 12:22 PM   #15
dabirdwell
macrumors 6502

Re: I am feeling giddy

Quote:
Originally posted by hariya
I got an email this morning that my PB12" shipped from Taiwan. I ordered on Jan 11 and the date the apple store gave me was Feb 11 so, if you ordered around that time, keep your eyes peeled.

This is my first mac purchase even though I have been using macs at school for ever. I am also looking forward to the dual 1.25 I just put an order in for to replace the dying AGP 400 PM.

Was yours a Superdrive model?
dabirdwell is offline   0
Old Jan 30, 2003, 12:51 PM   #16
hariya
macrumors newbie

Re: Re: I am feeling giddy

Quote:
Originally posted by dabirdwell

Was yours a Superdrive model?

Yes, Superdrive and maxed out memory. No Airport Extreme.

I got it through the student ADC deal and since it was a one-time only deal, I went all out. Saved 20 % on the price too.
hariya is offline   0
Old Jan 30, 2003, 01:01 PM   #17
yogi477
macrumors regular

Target Disk

Does anyone know how to do Target Disk mode so I can transfer my files across? Do both machines need Jaguar as my iMac only has 10.1 or is there another way?
yogi477 is offline   0
Old Jan 30, 2003, 01:06 PM   #18
Rower_CPU
Moderator emeritus

Re: Target Disk

Quote:
Originally posted by yogi477
Does anyone know how to do Target Disk mode so I can transfer my files across? Do both machines need Jaguar as my iMac only has 10.1 or is there another way?
If your iMac has Firewire all you need to do is hook up a firewire cable between the two, and boot the machine while holding "T" on the keyboard.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 01:24 PM   #19
yogi477
macrumors regular

It does have FIrewire, I have hooked them up then restarted the iMac with holding T down but nothing happened are you sure it is not a Jaguar thing? Do both computers have to be restarted?
yogi477 is offline   0
Old Jan 30, 2003, 01:47 PM   #20
evoluzione
macrumors 68010

Unhappy 12" AiBook keyboard

i saw the 12" powerbook in the SoHo NYC apple store, and the keyboard is disgusting... anyone else think that??? enough to make me forget about wanting that and instead waiting to afford the 17" even if it is overkill. i keep thinking the new 12" is like an iBook with a G4 processor, rather than a small PB.

I am Hando Jin, Hang Wong's son...
evoluzione is offline   0
Old Jan 30, 2003, 02:13 PM   #21
iShater
macrumors Demi-God

Re: 12" AiBook keyboard

Quote:
Originally posted by evoluzione
i saw the 12" powerbook in the SoHo NYC apple store, and the keyboard is disgusting... anyone else think that??? enough to make me forget about wanting that and instead waiting to afford the 17" even if it is overkill. i keep thinking the new 12" is like an iBook with a G4 processor, rather than a small PB.
disgusting i what sense? it looked fine to me. It looked nice actually except that having the letters in the middle looked different.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 02:38 PM   #22
szark
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally posted by yogi477
It does have FIrewire, I have hooked them up then restarted the iMac with holding T down but nothing happened are you sure it is not a Jaguar thing? Do both computers have to be restarted?
Try it the other way -- boot the iMac normally, and the PB in target disk mode.

From Apple Support:

Quote:
To use FireWire target disk mode

1. Make sure that the target computer is turned off. If you are using a PowerBook computer or iBook computer as the target computer, you should also plug in its AC power adapter.

2. Use a FireWire cable (6-pin to 6-pin) to connect the target computer to a host computer. The host computer does not need to be turned off.

3. Start up the target computer and immediately press and hold down the T key until the FireWire icon appears. The hard disk of the target computer should become available to the host computer and will likely appear on desktop.

4. When you are finished copying files, drag the target computer's hard disk icon to the Trash or select Put Away from the File menu (Mac OS 9) or Eject from the File menu (Mac OS X).

5. Press the target computer's power button to turn it off.

6. Unplug the FireWire cable.

If the target computer's hard disk does not become available to the host computer, check the cable connections and restart the host computer.

I also saw the 12" PB today at the Apple Store. I like the case materials/design, but I don't know if I prefer the new keyboard or the Ti keyboard.

Last edited by szark; Jan 30, 2003 at 02:49 PM.
szark is offline   0
Old Jan 30, 2003, 03:47 PM   #23
dabirdwell
macrumors 6502

Re: Re: Re: I am feeling giddy

Quote:
Originally posted by hariya

Yes, Superdrive and maxed out memory. No Airport Extreme.

I got it through the student ADC deal and since it was a one-time only deal, I went all out. Saved 20 % on the price too.

Mine was through ADC also, with maxed everything and AE basestation, but they still say Feb. 18 until mine ships. Hurry Powerbook, our 20" display shipped yesterday and I'm really going to be itching for my book when I can stare at it on Apple's website in the 20" Cinema window.
dabirdwell is offline   0
Old Jan 30, 2003, 03:55 PM   #24
hariya
macrumors newbie

Re: I am feeling giddy

Quote:
Originally posted by dabirdwell

Mine was through ADC also, with maxed everything and AE basestation, but they still say Feb. 18 until mine ships. (snip)
Patience, young grasshopper. Mine said Feb 11 till last night too. I bet that you will hear from apple by Monday or Tuesday.
hariya is offline   0
Old Sep 22, 2005, 10:02 PM   #25
mad jew
Moderator emeritus

Yeah, Apple seems to have fixed most of its January 2003 supply issues.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers