Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmartinez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
Hi
I have a Macbook Pro early 2011, I have max the ram to 16 and I have a hybrid seagate drive. My question; is it worth it to switch to a SDD drive, would I notice the difference? I don't want to spend the money and get no or very slight improvements.
Any one has done the SSD upgrade?
Thank you all

Mario

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Hi
I have a Macbook Pro early 2011, I have max the ram to 16 and I have a hybrid seagate drive. My question; is it worth it to switch to a SDD drive, would I notice the difference? I don't want to spend the money and get no or very slight improvements.
Thank you all

Mario

It'll be a gigantic improvement.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Hi
Thank you all

Mario

Night and day. The hybrid drive isn't nearly as fast.

mmartinez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
would you please

Hi
Thank you for all the replies,
Could you please tell me which brand you are using and do you recommend that brand?
Did you have to purchase any adaptors? Wires or cady?
Thank You
Mario

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Hi
Thank you for all the replies,
Could you please tell me which brand you are using and do you recommend that brand?
Did you have to purchase any adaptors? Wires or cady?
Thank You
Mario

I'm using a Samsung 840 Pro but if I was buying now I would go with the 850 Evo. No adapters or wiring needed. Just make sure you have the correct sized screwdriver and be very careful with the drive cable. Check out iFixit for guide on making the swap. They will list the tools needed.

Rockadile

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
Hi
Thank you all

Mario
What programs are you using on the daily?
Might not be worth it if you just put computer on sleep and do light tasks.

I've survived using the 5200rpm HDD on my 2011 MBP for Photoshop, internet browsing, and MOBA games.
However it's really slowing down now that I edit 24MP+ photos so I just bought an SSD and bigger external HDD.

iamMacPerson

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2011
AZ/10.0.1.1

I have done this upgrade in many different Macs, ranging from MacBooks (Pros, regulars) to Mac Pros and its a very easy upgrade. My 13" MacBook Pro was very easy to upgrade and I have a Samsung 840 EVO in it. The machine boots very quick and yes, you will see big difference going from the Hybrid drive to a full SSD. Most of those Hybrid drives only have 4-8GB of flash memory which won't even hold all of the system files. An SSD is all flash memory so the R/W speed will be much faster for all your files and apps.

Nothing extra is needed for these machines, just plug the SSD into the SATA connector and boot to a recovery drive. Very easy.

mmartinez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
I'm using a Samsung 840 Pro but if I was buying now I would go with the 850 Evo. No adapters or wiring needed. Just make sure you have the correct sized screwdriver and be very careful with the drive cable. Check out iFixit for guide on making the swap. They will list the tools needed.

Hi
Thank you for your input
Is this the one you would buy if you could do it again?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147374

SAMSUNG 850 EVO MZ-75E1T0B/AM 2.5" 1TB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Thank you
Mario

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.