Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slimpaul

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2007
Hey,

I've been looking forward to gold plating my steel Apple Watch and have gathered quotes ranging from a mere £100 ($150), all the way up to £1275 from an apparently popular company Goldgenie.
As the less expensive service covers gold plating only, I would have to supply them with a bare case, without the internals. I called a popular iPhone repair service in London in order to find out the cost of dissasembling, and later putting the watch back together, and was told that it would not be possible to gold plate my :apple:watch, not even microns thick, due to some "conducting issues".
What do you think? Is it really not possible to gold plate my steel watch? :(:(

Many thanks,
Paul

nasa25

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2010
canada
Why would you want to pay money to look like a dick? That's what'll happen if people think you're strolling around with a 10k quid Apple watch

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
I've been looking forward to gold plating my steel Apple Watch and have gathered quotes ranging from a mere £100 ($150), all the way up to £1275 from an apparently popular company Goldgenie.
If you really want a gold plated Watch then the better course of action would be to order one from Goldgenie for a smidgeon over £2500 (42mm, inclusive of VAT). Not a great deal more than £859 + £1275, and gives you infinitely more 'comeback' if there are any problems with the plating/functionality. You'd need to check the terms of the guarantee, of course: can't see any Watch-specific warranty terms on the website.

My sister is a freelance events organiser, working mostly in fashion/design. She uses Goldgenie exclusively for knocking up all sorts of knick-knacks for goodie bags. I believe they have some sort of relationship with Apple (so I'm surprised they'd agree to plate a user-supplied Watch).

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Why would you want to pay money to look like a dick? That's what'll happen if people think you're strolling around with a 10k quid Apple watch

Who cares what other people think? I know I don't care. If they don't like what I am wearing no one is forcing them to look at me.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009

Why is someone a dick if they wear a gold watch? Because you are insecure about yourself?

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Why is someone a dick if they wear a gold watch? Because you are insecure about yourself?

Exactly. Take a look in any jewelry store and you'll see dozens of gold clad watches across all price ranges. Most are plated, filled, 10K solid, 14K solid, or possibly Vermeil, and a few 18K on the high end.

There are people who do not wear silver jewelry and accessories, and as such the $10,000 price tag will keep them out of the Watch market. And for that reason, I bet we see a gold clad edition in the $1,000-2,000 range for those people, as well as an anodized gold Sport edition to match your iPhone, very soon.

So, I'd wait until at least the Fall to find out if Apple releases a gold clad case (as rumored), before I tried to screw around with stainless model.

slpslee1

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
And when the gold starts wearing off it will look like cr@p. :(

The gold plate will start wearing off pretty fast, too. It's not permanent. It's just a very thin layer floating on the surface of whatever it's plated to. Besides, how are you going to pop the case? I don't think it's going to be like a Timex.

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
Stainless Steel cannot be gold plated. I know I am in the jewelry business and have done all sorts of plating. It's just not possible. Now you can paint it gold or have a gold case made for it but you cannot gold plate stainless steel period. Oh and by the way I've seen plenty of sapphire watch crystals that were scratched and they weren't scratched by diamonds or sapphires.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Stainless Steel can not be gold plated. I know I am in the jewelry business and have done all sorts of plating. It's just not possible.
The Goldgenie website states '316L Stainless Steel plated in 24K gold, rose gold or platinum'. They're a fair-sized, reputable company, and I don't think they'd offer their blinged-up Watches if they had any doubts about the quality and durability of the plating. Google tells me that 'nickel strike' is the answer?

SteveLV702

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
Buy Apple Watch with Link Bracelet $1,000 have gold plated another $3,000.

Something happens and the watch breaks... SO buy another one another $1,000 have gold plated again thats another $3,000 so now $8,000 oh snap my daughter put it in the toilet now it doesn't work.

Well I voided warranty so aint got warranty let alone accidental protection so theres another $1,000 + $3,000

so now at $12,000 or can pay $10,000 get the Apple Watch Edition thats actual real gold pay $2,500 for AppleCare+ and have protection knowing if anything happens your watch is actually covered...

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
The Goldgenie website states '316L Stainless Steel plated in 24K gold, rose gold or platinum'. They're a fair-sized, reputable company, and I don't think they'd offer their blinged-up Watches if they had any doubts about the quality and durability of the plating. Google tells me that 'nickel strike' is the answer?

Good luck. That's all I can say.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Stainless Steel cannot be gold plated. I know I am in the jewelry business and have done all sorts of plating. It's just not possible. Now you can paint it gold or have a gold case made for it but you cannot gold plate stainless steel period. Oh and by the way I've seen plenty of sapphire watch crystals that were scratched and they weren't scratched by diamonds or sapphires.

I'm no plating expert, however, I have watched quite a few things on TV about various plating of various metals with different substances.

Some things cannot be plated directly with the finish material, and this is quite common it seems in many industries.

All they do it to plate it with some other metal first, THEN put on the top layer plating they wish.

Perhaps a bit like chrome. You plate steel with copper don't you, and then put the chrome on top of the copper.

I presume this is all very simple basic stuff for plating companies.

That said.........

This video seems simple enough :)

https://youtu.be/d22TvyhtV0E

Enjoy

:)

izzle22

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2004
Kansas City, MO
I'm no plating expert, however, I have watched quite a few things on TV about various plating of various metals with different substances.

Some things cannot be plated directly with the finish material, and this is quite common it seems in many industries.

All they do it to plate it with some other metal first, THEN put on the top layer plating they wish.

Perhaps a bit like chrome. You plate steel with copper don't you, and then put the chrome on top of the copper.

I presume this is all very simple basic stuff for plating companies.

That said.........

This video seems simple enough :)

https://youtu.be/d22TvyhtV0E

Enjoy

:)

Like I said good luck.

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
Well then you would have a fake Edition.

Not something I would be particularly proud of.

Different strokes. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.