Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Former Apple iOS chief turned Snapchat advisor Scott Forstall has taken on a new project, according to his first ever tweet on Twitter. Forstall is co-producing the upcoming Broadway musical Fun Home, a show that opens this Sunday.

funhome.jpg
I m thrilled to be co-producing the Broadway musical Fun Home http://t.co/PqrKKZGcxY opening this Sunday. Bravo to the phenomenal team! - Scott Forstall (@forstall) April 17, 2015
Forstall is listed as one of the producers of Fun Home along with his wife Molly on the Internet Broadway Database, and he and his wife also have a paragraph in the show's playbill.
The Forstalls (Producer). This is Scott and Molly Forstall's first foray on Broadway after years in Silicon Valley. They share their love of theatre with their children, Freya and Nils, both of whom are enthusiastic theatregoers and performers. Thanks to Carole for the magnificent journey.
Forstall's announcement of his position as Broadway producer comes just a day after leaked Sony emails suggested he'd received .11 percent of Snapchat's stock to serve as an advisor to the company. Since being ousted from Apple in 2012, Forstall has kept a very low profile, and this occasion marks his first public announcement and appearance in years.

Scott Forstall first fell in league with Apple in 1992, when he took on a job at Steve Jobs' company, NeXT. When NeXT was acquired by Apple in 1997, Forstall stayed on, working on the Macintosh user design team. He was promoted several times and in 2005, he began working on iOS. Forstall has been largely credited with the skeuomorphic design present in the early years of the operating system, an aesthetic that eventually led to disagreements with other executives at the company following Steve Jobs' death.

Article Link: Former iOS Chief Scott Forstall is Now a Broadway Producer

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
that's incredibly random. waiting on the ive production which i hear will be better directed

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
I dislike this post simply because of the bashing and vitriol that is sure to follow. Leave the guy alone. Time to move on.

I hope he's found something he enjoys and is successful at it.

Reactions: ealeks

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
So do I. I didn't appreciate how they made fun of him (indirectly) at WWDC 2013, when Craig was introducing iOS 7.

It was then I realized just how deep this design ideology went at Apple.

The one thing I did like about Forstall is he ran a tip top ship. I have seen quality slip since he left in 2012. IOS6 was the most polished bug free IOS i ever had. But Maps was a disaster, the service part anyway.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
I really miss Scott's skeuomorphic design elements.

Apple IOS design is now sterile, glaring blind you at night bright white and red. Who ever thought that the current UI design was an improvement? It's horrible.

And the way he was pushed out of Apple shows that the slogan "think different" only applies to those in political favor.

I'm happy to see that the scapegoat is doing well in some other endeavor.

Yay Scott Forstall !!!

ttss6

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2014
California
From the articles about how he interacted with his colleagues at Apple, he comes of as more of the theatrical type

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Kept thinking, was this left over from April 1st? Weird.

Hopefully he's enjoying such work, but wow - talk about breaking with the past.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Wow interesting. As long as he's doing something he enjoys good for him. If people use this thread to bash or make fun shame on them.

kwikdeth

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Tempe, AZ
It was then I realized just how deep this design ideology went at Apple.

The one thing I did like about Forstall is he ran a tip top ship. I have seen quality slip since he left in 2012. IOS6 was the most polished bug free IOS i ever had. But Maps was a disaster, the service part anyway.

gotta agree with you there. my iphones, used to be a joy to use. since 7 and then 8, i found myself frustrated and angry with my phones more and more and more. ended up switching a few months ago. i no longer get angry at my phone. its the little things really... like camera telling me 6,000,000 times that my location accuracy will be improved if wifi is on. im very well aware of that detail by now, iphone, thank you for making me miss the moment i was trying to capture. iOS6 told me a couple times then figured out that i got it by that point and stopped telling me. However IOS7 and 8 simply assume that im too stupid to know i turned my wifi off "accidentally" or something and reminds me of the fact. constantly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.