Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2008
Anyone know why my write speeds are so poor? This is a 512GB model and I've tried restarting a few times and made sure nothing else was running in the background. It took so long to transfer my time machine backup because of this.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-17 at 2.48.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-17 at 2.48.05 PM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 822

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
Anyone know why my write speeds are so poor? This is a 512GB model and I've tried restarting a few times and made sure nothing else was running in the background. It took so long to transfer my time machine backup because of this.

Is it brand new? I say this because if file vault is still processing in the background it will nuder your speeds.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Those speeds are standard for the rMB (250-400) for write. Let the app run for a little bit.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2008
Is it brand new? I say this because if file vault is still processing in the background it will nuder your speeds.

I got it yesterday and yes, I turned on the vault security but it was a full day ago and I haven't kept it shut. So by having this encryption on will that affect backup transfers indefinitely?

Cvx5832

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2014
Those speeds are standard for the rMB (250-400) for write. Let the app run for a little bit.

^ This. I suppose we'll find out eventually why, if you let the test run for a few minutes, the measured read and write speeds get faster and faster.

I also got the same results. But if I let it run for a few seconds it will "catch up" to full speed.

If I just let it run this is where my rMB caps out:

16983668239_a5473d2203_z.jpg

----------

I got it yesterday and yes, I turned on the vault security but it was a full day ago and I haven't kept it shut. So by having this encryption on will that affect backup transfers indefinitely?

I don't think so. I ran this test before and after FV2 encryption and the speeds were the same. Like within +/- 5MB.

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012

No, having encryption on is fine. I'm speaking about when you open the box for the first time and setup the laptop, for the first hour or so file vault is processing.

You would need to go into preferances/filevault to see it's status. But if it's been a day it is done.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
No, having encryption on is fine. I'm speaking about when you open the box for the first time and setup the laptop, for the first hour or so file vault is processing.

You would need to go into preferances/filevault to see it's status. But if it's been a day it is done.

Can't believe I'm quoting C2R here and agreeing ;), but this is right. FV2 is not a zero-impact situation but once the disk is encrypted you'd be very unlikely to see the difference without doing a careful side-by-side test.

gregsapphire

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2014
I am having the same issues. Had to reboot rMB during set up because when asked about FileVault it froze. Then it froze again later on during FileVault. Had to Reboot and reinstall OS X. I'm a little disappointed in the SSD speeds. Expected the 512gb SSD to compare with the new Macbook Pro and Macbook Air SSD speed.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2008
Got it, thanks all! Also set a firmware password while I'm at it (lock down all the things!) :D

vanimal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
Those are pretty much correct speeds and the speeds I've seen across all reviews. There was some talk going around Apple used some previous generation SSD modules from previous generation MBA. Don't know how true that is but that was the speeds of the 2011-2012 MBA?

Again just something I heard over a well known tech review via YouTube. The new "read" on the MBA and MBPR are like 1200 right?

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
I am having the same issues. Had to reboot rMB during set up because when asked about FileVault it froze. Then it froze again later on during FileVault. Had to Reboot and reinstall OS X. I'm a little disappointed in the SSD speeds. Expected the 512gb SSD to compare with the new Macbook Pro and Macbook Air SSD speed.

This has been a spotty issue with a lot of setups, not just rMB's. It happened to me on my rMBP.

You can either see if it rides itself out, depending on how long you feel like waiting. Or do as I did and reboot/reinstall OSX.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
This has been a spotty issue with a lot of setups, not just rMB's. It happened to me on my rMBP.

You can either see if it rides itself out, depending on how long you feel like waiting. Or do as I did and reboot/reinstall OSX.

I am impatient. That's what I did. I'm getting write speeds in the mid-400s and read speeds near 800 mb/s.

Last edited:

gregsapphire

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2014
I am impatient. That's what I did. I'm getting read speeds +/- 500 mb/s.

Wait you reinstall OS X and are getting 500 read? I reinstalled the OS X once because things froze up. But I am not sure if it was done properly. Did you restore from back up? Do you have file vault on? File vault was taking forever for me.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 25, 2008
Those are pretty much correct speeds and the speeds I've seen across all reviews. There was some talk going around Apple used some previous generation SSD modules from previous generation MBA. Don't know how true that is but that was the speeds of the 2011-2012 MBA?

Again just something I heard over a well known tech review via YouTube. The new "read" on the MBA and MBPR are like 1200 right?

Yes the reads and writes on the new Airs and Pros are insanely fast. I've had a Retina MBP and 2014 Air and they've all outperformed this new MacBook. Can't say I'm not extremely disappointed in these write speeds.

vanimal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
Yes the reads and writes on the new Airs and Pros are insanely fast. I've had a Retina MBP and 2014 Air and they've all outperformed this new MacBook. Can't say I'm not extremely disappointed in these write speeds.

They don't seem that bad. It's not a high powered machine nor is it meant to be. Sorta kinda lol. Depends how much you want to push it. :cool:

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Wait you reinstall OS X and are getting 500 read? I reinstalled the OS X once because things froze up. But I am not sure if it was done properly. Did you restore from back up? Do you have file vault on? File vault was taking forever for me.

[note: typo in my earlier post: write speeds in the mid-400s and read speeds near 800 mb/s] Not only am I impatient, I can be fussy about eliminating variables, so I booted into Internet Recovery (cmd + option + R) and after erasing the disk reinstalled from Apple's server. When it was installed I turned on FV2. The 500 mb/s is with FV2 enabled.

gregsapphire

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2014
[note: typo in my earlier post: 500 mb/s was write, not read] Not only am I impatient, I can be fussy about eliminating variables, so I booted into Internet Recovery (cmd + option + R) and after erasing the disk reinstalled from Apple's server. When it was installed I turned on FV2. The 500 mb/s is with FV2 enabled.

How long did FV2 take to finish? Also did you restore from a back up? I was thinking about wiping the SSD and reinstalling everything as well as the using FV2. And restoring from a time machine back up. What do you think? I already got 90gbs of space used because of my huge photo library.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
How long did FV2 take to finish? Also did you restore from a back up? I was thinking about wiping the SSD and reinstalling everything as well as the using FV2. And restoring from a time machine back up. What do you think? I already got 90gbs of space used because of my huge photo library.

Greg, see my post below - I did a "bare metal" installation, but I had nothing at all on the disk at the time.

I'm hesitant to tell anyone else what to do, but if I were in you place, even though it may be overkill, I think I'd back everything up to TM, erase the disk, reinstall from Internet Recovery (make sure you see the spinning globe), then reinstall only my apps and data from TM. Encrypting the base OS installation probably took about an hour - I wasn't timing it.

[note: typo in my earlier post: write speeds in the mid-400s and read speeds near 800 mb/s] Not only am I impatient, I can be fussy about eliminating variables, so I booted into Internet Recovery (cmd + option + R) and after erasing the disk reinstalled from Apple's server. When it was installed I turned on FV2. The 500 mb/s is with FV2 enabled.

gregsapphire

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2014
Greg, see my post below - I did a "bare metal" installation, but I had nothing at all on the disk at the time.

I'm hesitant to tell anyone else what to do, but if I were in you place, even though it may be overkill, I think I'd back everything up to TM, erase the disk, reinstall from Internet Recovery (make sure you see the spinning globe), then reinstall only my apps and data from TM. Encrypting the base OS installation probably took about an hour - I wasn't timing it.

How'd you reinstall? I mean apple says to restart the mac and hold command + R. But many people online say hold option instead. I just want to make sure I am doing it correctly.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
How'd you reinstall? I mean apple says to restart the mac and hold command + R. But many people online say hold option instead. I just want to make sure I am doing it correctly.

If the recovery partition is still on your disk, cmd + r will reinstall OS X from that. If, against the odds, there is a problem with the file, you're just repeating a problem. If the recovery partition is still on your disk, internet recovery needs cmd + option + r. That will boot up to a black screen with a spinning globe. You will need an internet connection (in this case, wifi...not ethernet port!) to download the OS X installer from Apple. Make sure your data and any apps you can't easily reinstall from the MAS are backed up first!

udflyer

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2011
App Store is giving me a 503 when I try to download Blackmagic diskspeed utility

ANy ideas ?

Gaprofitt

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2009
App Store is giving me a 503 when I try to download Blackmagic diskspeed utility

ANy ideas ?
]

That's normal, it's not an M2 SSD drive, it is an older technology used to keep heat down. It's not going to be comparable to say a macbook pro m2 drive/chip. Still lightyears better than a mechanical drive. Not sure why everyone is all hung up on SSD speed. Plenty of other bottlenecks to worry about when talking compute resources.

Gaprofitt

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2009

ANy ideas ?
]

That's normal, it's not an M2 SSD drive, it is an older technology used to keep heat down. It's not going to be comparable to say a macbook pro m2 drive/chip. Still lightyears better than a mechanical drive. Not sure why everyone is all hung up on SSD speed. Plenty of other bottlenecks to worry about when talking compute resources.

TillysWily

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2011
This is what I'm getting right out of the box 1.2/512

Attachments

• DiskSpeedTest.png
    DiskSpeedTest.png
    734.7 KB · Views: 236
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.