Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coolmatt49

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
So, I'm not sure if this is a non-issue topic but it certainly has me a bit nervous. I preordered the Apple Watch practically as soon as preorders were open using Apple Pay on my iPhone using the Apple Store app and got an early delivery estimate.

Today, I had to restore my iPhone, but that apparently deleted my Apple Pay Credit and Debit cards and I had to set them up again. Because they are linked up by a unique code, do I need to get in touch with Apple and change the billing information for my Apple Watch order or will the order still go through regardless?

EDIT: Just to clarify, I have not been charged yet on my card for the order.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Should be fine. All transaction data is already in the database at the time of purchase/pre-order. It is between Apple and your bank now (thus all of the pre-auths everyone is talking about).

Coolmatt49

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Should be fine. All transaction data is already in the database at the time of purchase/pre-order. It is between Apple and your bank now (thus all of the pre-auths everyone is talking about).

My bank informed me that the cards were deleted from their system. I don't know if that changes what you're telling me, but I hope what you're saying is true.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
My bank informed me that the cards were deleted from their system. I don't know if that changes what you're telling me, but I hope what you're saying is true.

That doesn't sound good. The only thing you can probably do now is call Apple to see if you can switch the payment to a card you know is active to avoid any issues.

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
I would contact apple and check if you need to update billing info. You can easily get to them @ 1-800-MY-APPLE.

Apple wouldn't let me even try to do so online, not sure if it's an Apple Watch only deal to not make changes online.

Good Luck.

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
Can you tell when you add your form of payment back in, if you digital card number has changed? It's the digital card number that shows on apples site under the order. It'll show the last four digits. See if yours still has the same last four digits.
I tried to get help from apple on something similar and had no luck. Good luck!!

Exile714

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2015
You should probably check with Apple. Why? Because you won't be able to relax about it.

But realistically, it shouldn't be an issue. Let's think about this logically: how does the Apple Store even know your phone changed? Do you think they'll call up your phone at the time the transaction goes through? If that's how it works, how many people's phones are disconnected from the network, powered off or restored? If Apple Pay relied on a later contact with your phone, thousands of transactions would fail.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
As long as your card is valid that's all that matters... Set up ur Apple Store billing info at least. That way you have a fallback.

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
Preordered Apple Watch using Apple Pay, but had to restore iPhone.

I had to rest my phone also. When I just tried to add my credit card back on, it gave me a new digital card number. I haven't add my debit card back. Now I'm scared to??? I know it's going to change the digital card number and then what? The debit card is the one I used to purchase the watch through apple pay.

Drew888

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
So, I'm not sure if this is a non-issue topic but it certainly has me a bit nervous. I preordered the Apple Watch practically as soon as preorders were open using Apple Pay on my iPhone using the Apple Store app and got an early delivery estimate.

Today, I had to restore my iPhone, but that apparently deleted my Apple Pay Credit and Debit cards and I had to set them up again. Because they are linked up by a unique code, do I need to get in touch with Apple and change the billing information for my Apple Watch order or will the order still go through regardless?

EDIT: Just to clarify, I have not been charged yet on my card for the order.

That's really a good question about Apple Pay in general. When you pay with Apple Pay it gives the merchant unique transaction information so my thinking would be you should be okay, that info was already sent even if you didn't see it.

But as others have said, you could always call Apple and update payment information.

FYI: Apple does notify you if there is a problem with your payment, and does give you time to update payment information before canceling your order.

mrcobra92

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2014
It will decline. That card is in no database anywhere and any open tokens should close automatically (works a bit differently when you are issued a new card from your bank) but in this case the transaction should not go through. Shouldn't be a problem though, when it ships in a few days ( :D ) they will attempt to charge the account and when it declines, you will be given a few days to add a different card and it won't change your delivery date. :D :apple:

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
That's really a good question about Apple Pay in general. When you pay with Apple Pay it gives the merchant unique transaction information so my thinking would be you should be okay, that info was already sent even if you didn't see it.

But as others have said, you could always call Apple and update payment information.

FYI: Apple does notify you if there is a problem with your payment, and does give you time to update payment information before canceling your order.

Ok. That makes me feel a little bit better. I've had a mess with credit cards this week. My bank had to cancel my card because of fraudulent charges. Issued me a new card. Updated my card in Apple pay. Still waiting on the card to get here. Stressful!!!

Drew888

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Ok. That makes me feel a little bit better. I've had a mess with credit cards this week. My bank had to cancel my card because of fraudulent charges. Issued me a new card. Updated my card in Apple pay. Still waiting on the card to get here. Stressful!!!

As the user just above this stated, Apple will give you a couple days to correct payment info if it does decline... and it doesn't hurt your delivery date. (Assuming you correct it within a reasonable time after they notify you.)

This happened to me with iPhone 6+ and I asked Apple if it would push back my delivery date, I was told no as they always give themselves this "buffer" if something like this happens....

riotrhythm

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2015
I had to do the same exact thing and had the same concern. Remember, Apple Pay is just the WAY the money is being sent to the merchant. Once the payment has been sent to Apple, it's between them and your bank. Apple Pay was just the middleman for the transaction, nothing more :cool:

Coolmatt49

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I appreciate all the responses! To be safe, I went ahead and contacted Apple and presented my concern with them. The representative I spoke to has never faced this problem before. In the end, to remove all doubt, it sounded like the best course of action was to change the card on the order. I checked after finishing up the call and the order showed the new card and everything else, including the delivery estimate, remained the same. I got into a pretty good discussion with the Apple representative and he explained the process of how the watches would ship and when the card would authorize for payment. He basically said they would send notification if something happens with the billing information.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I appreciate all the responses! To be safe, I went ahead and contacted Apple and presented my concern with them. The representative I spoke to has never faced this problem before. In the end, to remove all doubt, it sounded like the best course of action was to change the card on the order. I checked after finishing up the call and the order showed the new card and everything else, including the delivery estimate, remained the same. I got into a pretty good discussion with the Apple representative and he explained the process of how the watches would ship and when the card would authorize for payment. He basically said they would send notification if something happens with the billing information.

I'm not quite understanding your situation. All you did was delete your card from Apple Pay (in which case it wouldn't have matter) or did your linked physical card actually get cancelled and you got a new card?

ryanmcv

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I'm not quite understanding your situation. All you did was delete your card from Apple Pay (in which case it wouldn't have matter) or did your linked physical card actually get cancelled and you got a new card?

When you restore an iPhone to factory settings, any credit cards you've enrolled in Apple Pay are essentially removed from the service. The cards/accounts themselves are still active, but what Apple calls the "device account number" for each card is deactivated. Therefore, if you preordered a Watch with Apple Pay and the card you used is subsequently removed from Apple Pay, the charge will be declined when the order processes. Even if you were to re-enroll the card in Apple Pay, it would receive a new device account number different from the one used for the preorder.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
When you restore an iPhone to factory settings, any credit cards you've enrolled in Apple Pay are essentially removed from the service. The cards/accounts themselves are still active, but what Apple calls the "device account number" for each card is deactivated. Therefore, if you preordered a Watch with Apple Pay and the card you used is subsequently removed from Apple Pay, the charge will be declined when the order processes. Even if you were to re-enroll the card in Apple Pay, it would receive a new device account number different from the one used for the preorder.

Got it. The difference is it isn't charged until it ships, whereas removing Apple Pay has no effect on transactions that have already gone through.

omegis83

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
Preordered Apple Watch using Apple Pay, but had to restore iPhone.

Same issue. Lady I spoke to at Apple said it should still be fine but she was puzzled due to the lack of information on such a unique circumstance. Worse case scenario, I'll receive an email telling me to update payment info. Doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling though. I may call again tomorrow and see if they can update my payment info on their end just in case.

Update: I called today and was once again reassured by a supervisor that there should be no issue with my delivery. The key is that the source of funds doesn't change, such as canceling a credit or checking account. This was even after mentioning that my Device Account Number changed after restoring my iPhone and reloading my credit cards. If there are any issues for whatever reason, they will notify me and give me a chance to update my payment info without any consequence to my delivery date.

Last edited:

Coolmatt49

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Another quick update, I also preordered a high-demand, sold-out item from Target using Apple Pay. Even though the item is supposed to ship over a month from now, they can't modify anything with the order. Not particularly happy with Target seeing how most other online sites can modify an order that hasn't been shipped. I guess I'll see first-hand if Apple Pay still works for previously-authorized orders after being deleted, but if not this really sucks. Something as simple as having to restore a phone can mess up these online orders. On the other hand, I suppose that's the downside in order to ensure fraudulent charges don't occur after a phone is wiped.

Again, thanks for all the responses about this.

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008

Got it. The difference is it isn't charged until it ships, whereas removing Apple Pay has no effect on transactions that have already gone through.

I don't think this is correct. Your credit card company will generate a unique id that is sent to the merchant. That id will still be valid even if you remove the card from Apple pay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.