Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Looks like there is some progress on an 8.4 jailbreak. Hopefully this will be released fairly soon since I will be giving up my jailbreak on my iPhone when I get my watch on Friday.

http://www.redmondpie.com/ios-8.4-jailbreak-demoed-on-video/

I guess you don't know that clown at all.
He won't release anything.
All he will do is gloat on how great he is and how everyone steals his hacks.
He's just an attention seeking drama queen.

RodChester

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Yeah I suppose he won't be releasing anything, but I think it is still good to see that a JB has been done. Hopefully another group will find the same way of doing a JB as i0n1c did.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Most Dev's have multiple exploits and usually the have the newest release jailbroken in a few days.

Most of those JB's are not releaseable as they depend on Developer rights and are called failbreaks.

i0n1c uses his jailbreaks to further his business, which of course he is fully entitled to, but i agree with AJ that he is a drama queen in the way he sometimes communicates.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I've read that he is angered by piracy.

I suppose knowledge is power in some people's world but ain't we a Community and by the very distinction should act as one.

Shame this clever person feels he needs to 'sandbox' his work a lot like  do with iOS, which is the very reason why we JailBreak !

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
On one hand, I guess it's good that he demonstrates that the OS can be jailbroken. On the other, he knows full well that people are going to bombard him with requests for the jailbreak every time he does this, and when he doesn't release it (which is his right), they're not going to be happy. And instead of laying low, he participates in this childish beef with people online. I mean, when your statement is addressing "haters" (which no self-respecting grown man should EVER use in a non-ironic way), you're asking people to fire back. Be an adult about it.

BittenApple

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
I've read that he is angered by piracy.

I suppose knowledge is power in some people's world but ain't we a Community and by the very distinction should act as one.

Shame this clever person feels he needs to 'sandbox' his work a lot like  do with iOS, which is the very reason why we JailBreak !

Piracy?

He's the equivalent of that kid in the playground who loved to show off his new toys to everyone and rub it in their faces, while refusing to share.
Yet when someone else gets the same toy, and starts sharing it with everyone, he throws a fit saying he had it first.
He's especially upset that they didn't even know about the toy until he showed it to them.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
I guess you don't know that clown at all.
He won't release anything.
All he will do is gloat on how great he is and how everyone steals his hacks.
He's just an attention seeking drama queen.

Well then, let's see your exploits then. Oh? You don't know the first thing about that stuff? Guess you'll have to keep trash talking those who do.

Maximeed69

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2015
Well guys we know that he didn't release anything since iOS 4 , let's just hope he can do something good now for 8.4 you don't need to talk bad about him . i'm sure he got his own reasons for doing so !

1984world

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2008
I wish he would just release a paid for jailbreak. I'd pay 10 bucks a device (and we have about 2 dozen in our home) to jailbreak the ones we want to. If he wanted to really show off, he should jailbreak the apple tv3.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I wish he would just release a paid for jailbreak. I'd pay 10 bucks a device (and we have about 2 dozen in our home) to jailbreak the ones we want to.
That is a perilous position to take. I can see paid jailbreaks leading to litigation, legal issues and angry customers.

If your jailbreak fails, who do you blame? If you lose your jailbreak, who do you blame?

Do you get your money back if something goes wrong? How do you get your money back?

You may want a paid jailbreak because you think it will be an incentive to make the devs move faster on this but I'm pretty certain this is just another giant can of worms.

We already have people demanding their free jailbreak and crucifying the devs when they think they don't move fast enough to suit them. Get money involved? No thanks!

adammacleod

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2012
That is a perilous position to take. I can see paid jailbreaks leading to litigation, legal issues and angry customers.

If your jailbreak fails, who do you blame? If you lose your jailbreak, who do you blame?

Do you get your money back if something goes wrong? How do you get your money back?

You may want a paid jailbreak because you think it will be an incentive to make the devs move faster on this but I'm pretty certain this is just another giant can of worms.

We already have people demanding their free jailbreak and crucifying the devs when they think they don't move fast enough to suit them. Get money involved? No thanks!

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida

You bring up great points but how else do we get people like him to release jailbreaks? with the status quo I can't see him releasing anything.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You bring up great points but how else do we get people like him to release jailbreaks? with the status quo I can't see him releasing anything.
I don't have a solution. At least not for guys like this.

But I think, dangling money is just a bad idea. The JB community was already complaining that the Pangu JB was possible because a publicly revoked certificate was used in one part of the process. What happens when the lure of money leads to some real shady stuff?

Careful what we wish for because once that genie is out of the bottle - just try and get it back in.

1984world

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2008
I don't really care who or how they create a jailbreak, as long as it is legal (in the country that they make it as every country has different laws). And I really don't mind paying for it. I remember paying Apple for ios updates, which enhanced my ipod. I would do the same for a jailbreak, which also enhances things. Just my thoughts on the matter. I have no interest in litigating if something goes wrong. But I see your points.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014

Developers are under no obligation to release anything. I feel that more people need to learn that little fact.. it would put things into proper perspective.

Here's something worth thinking about; what is stopping you or I from learning how to jailbreak? i0n1c wasn't born with his jailbreak/developer knowledge.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I don't really care who or how they create a jailbreak, as long as it is legal (in the country that they make it as every country has different laws). And I really don't mind paying for it. I remember paying Apple for ios updates, which enhanced my ipod. I would do the same for a jailbreak, which also enhances things. Just my thoughts on the matter. I have no interest in litigating if something goes wrong. But I see your points.
You and I are two reasonable people however.

There's a certain segment of the JB community however that is not. It's that part of the community that is dangerous and can ruin things for all of us.

I see your points as well.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008

We dont need to pay him or anyone to release a JB.
All JB's are free by the JB community to everyone. Just because he demoed and who knows what he really has doesn't mean other devs will not or cannot release a JB when the time is right.
Only impatient people talk about paying to JB and those are usually the ones getting scammed by giving money to one of the many phony JB websites out there.

1984world

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2008
We dont need to pay him or anyone to release a JB.
All JB's are free by the JB community to everyone. Just because he demoed and who knows what he really has doesn't mean other devs will not or cannot release a JB when the time is right.
Only impatient people talk about paying to JB and those are usually the ones getting scammed by giving money to one of the many phony JB websites out there.

I don't really see it as impatient. There is a service that I would like to have. I have the financial means to purchase it. I've never been scammed. Therefore, if it is offered (like any other software, material item, purchase, whatever) I would have no problem paying for it. There are other items that I would pay for too if offered (like a 6plus battery case that charged with a lighting cable).

I don't know the legalities of it all (I'm sure there are/would/will be issues), but if it was offered for a price, I'm sure many people would pay if offered the chance for immediate updated jailbreaks. Takes the worry out of messing with your electronics.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I don't really see it as impatient. There is a service that I would like to have. I have the financial means to purchase it. I've never been scammed. Therefore, if it is offered (like any other software, material item, purchase, whatever) I would have no problem paying for it. There are other items that I would pay for too if offered (like a 6plus battery case that charged with a lighting cable).

I don't know the legalities of it all (I'm sure there are/would/will be issues), but if it was offered for a price, I'm sure many people would pay if offered the chance for immediate updated jailbreaks. Takes the worry out of messing with your electronics.

You can still pay for it by donating after the fact.
That's what I do.
Jb is not a business and never was for real jb devs.
It's not about the money.
And if you didn't get scammed there's plenty of scam websites out there that trick many people thinking they can pay to have something faster that is not even available.
Just thinking that you can have immediate updated iOS jb's is not really logical.
Jb takes lots and lots of work, time and most of the time team efforts by many. You don't just go up against the latest iOS version and a few minutes later you jb it immediately realistically speaking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.