Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

YouTube today announced changes to its YouTube Data API, causing many older apps on various devices to stop functioning. On the second-generation Apple TV or older, the YouTube channel will no longer be accessible, and on the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, iOS 7 or later is required for the YouTube app to function.

Second-generation Apple TV users will have no way to watch YouTube videos on their devices after today, but iOS device owners with versions of iOS older than iOS 7 can use mobile YouTube in Safari to watch videos. YouTube is sharing the news via a discontinuation video that's being shared on all older devices.

If your device supports iOS 7 or above, you can download the YouTube app from the App Store. If not, visit m.youtube.com in your mobile browser to access YouTube.

If you're using Apple TV 3rd generation, you can get the latest version of the YouTube app by updating your software:

Select Settings > General > Update Software
If there is an upgrade available, click Download and Install
If you're using Apple TV 2nd generation or older, unfortunately there's no current way to watch YouTube on these devices.
Attempting to use the YouTube app on an older iOS device or on an older Apple TV still lets users watch videos at the current time, but the discontinuation video above is always the first result, suggesting access will be shut down shortly after YouTube notifies everyone about the upcoming API change.

apple_tv_2_youtube.jpg
The YouTube channel on a second-generation Apple TV
Today's API change affects several other older devices in addition to the Apple TV and iOS devices, including those running old versions of Google TV and many smart televisions and game consoles. The official YouTube app will only be available on most 2013 and newer Smart TVs, blu-ray players, game consoles, and other streaming devices.

Update: According to a blog post from Google, beginning in early May, those who have older devices with unsupported YouTube apps will only see the discontinuation video. In late May, all apps using the old API will display 410 Gone HTTP responses.

Until that time, YouTube apps on older Apple TVs and iOS devices will work as normal, aside from displaying the warning video.

Article Link: YouTube App No Longer Available on Older Apple TV, iOS Devices

maramok

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2015
New Jersey
Typical Apple

Why does apple always make older devices less and less useful! Its like they want you to buy their new... oh wait whoops!

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
I have an ATV2 (which I have been trying to swap for a ATV3 ..ahem for trade section) but this is just silly. Maybe I should hack the ATV2 just for youtube

Costino1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2012
Oh no. My four year old son and his iPad 1 will be heartbroken. Watches all his cartoons on that.

GadgetDon

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2002
Really annoyed that Apple no longer appears to be updating the second generation AppleTVs. Unlike most upgrades to new hardware, there's very little advantage of the third gen AppleTVs (1080p vs. 720p only matters on pretty big screens).

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
I kind of miss my Gen 1 with 160GB storage (still have it, just don't use it).

I hope we see something awesome in June with (hopefully) the new Apple TV!

Sukach

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2011
Will I still be able to AirPlay from my phone to my ATV 2? I plan on testing when I get home. That's the main way I watch YouTube on my ATV anymore since the app has sucked for awhile.

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL
Really annoyed that Apple no longer appears to be updating the second generation AppleTVs. Unlike most upgrades to new hardware, there's very little advantage of the third gen AppleTVs (1080p vs. 720p only matters on pretty big screens).

It was in your best interest to sell your atv2 and get atv3. I am not sure about now but a year ago, atv2 were going for $200 on eBay. I sold 4 atv2 for $200 each. Bought a few atv3 for $85. Now atv3 is only $60.

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
Soooooo....can I stream something from my iOS8 device to a Second Gen Apple TV? I get that the app on the ATV won't work. I'm still a bit unclear on whether streaming will work.

I really don't want to upgrade my ATV just yet. I'm waiting until the new one is announced. (And it's a safe bet that it's coming, since they are advertising the current ATV as "Starting at" $69).

c.s.

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2007
Ad-free YouTube. I knew it would end at some point. Isn't it supposed to be easy to hack an ATV2? I guess I'll be looking into that.

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
I have an ATV2 (which I have been trying to swap for a ATV3 ..ahem for trade section) but this is just silly. Maybe I should hack the ATV2 just for youtube

sell it on amazon for $200.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
Ad-free YouTube. I knew it would end at some point. Isn't it supposed to be easy to hack an ATV2? I guess I'll be looking into that.

That's what this is about, isn't it? Eliminating the last of the ad-free apps.

Reactions: GreginNJ

darcyf

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2011
Toronto, ON
Bummer.

I never saw the need to upgrade my ATV 2 to a 3 just to bump up from 720p to 1080p. 720p has always looked just fine to me on my tv.

Then Apple updated the look of the 3 and left the 2 behind, but still, I didn't see the need to spend $$ on an interface makeover.

Now YouTube is updating their API and it means my 2 can't run the app anymore. That actually kinda sucks since I do watch a fair bit of YT though my ATV. But there's always AirPlay. Still can't justify buying a 3 for this when the 2 still does everything else just fine.

And supposedly there's a new ATV around the corner that should put the 2 and 3 to shame, so...

TL/DR this sucks but I'll live :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.