Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
I was browsing some videos on MacTubes, and I noticed whenever I open a video list, the first item is always this "YouTube device support" video.

I think MacTubes' days are coming to an end... :(

Attachments

• Picture 31.png
    Picture 31.png
    128.1 KB · Views: 271

comda

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
I was browsing some videos on MacTubes, and I noticed whenever I open a video list, the first item is always this "YouTube device support" video.

I love this program! I opened it up on my macbook running SL and dont have this. But I will have to check on my Emac and see if i get this issue too. It will be sad if this application stops working.

Using Webkit on the Emac (1.42Ghz,1Gb,80GbHDD,DVD-Rw) youtube runs, but not well. i will check back once i get back to my Emac tomorrow.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
This ain't their first rodeo with Youtube. Give them time to make a fix happen like what's happened about five or six times before.

Imixmuan

Suspended
Dec 18, 2010
Not just mactubes folks....

I get the same "error" message in minitube, smtube and kodi on linux. I think the developers will figure this out. If you can stream to a peice of kaka like flash inside a piece of kaka like IE, you can stream to anything.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA

Right you are. I was on YouView just yesterday on my MBA and didn't see this at all.

YouTube Device Support Result.png
YouTube Device Support.png

Hopefully the dev will find a way around this.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
you guys could always use the QTE TFF addon, plays videos right on QuickTime, I tend to use this over YouView or MacTubes because it just seems to work better, I Use YouView on my eMac but YouView dont work on the MDD it just lags badly so I use MacTubes, QTE dont work if you have Quicktime 7.6 installed though. You need to either have the supplied version with Leopard (7.2.1) or install 7.5.5

EDIT: You also need Perian installed or you could use NicePlayer, that plays YouTube natively and vary well too

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
you guys could always use the QTE TFF addon, plays videos right on QuickTime, I tend to use this over YouView or MacTubes because it just seems to work better, I Use YouView on my eMac but YouView dont work on the MDD it just lags badly so I use MacTubes, QTE dont work if you have Quicktime 7.6 installed though. You need to either have the supplied version with Leopard (7.2.1) or install 7.5.5

EDIT: You also need Perian installed or you could use NicePlayer, that plays YouTube natively and vary well too

I find QuickTime to be sluggish in the browser... plays nice in MacTubes though. I'll try QTE TFF and let you know.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Anybody know if YouView will succumb to this issue?

EDIT: Damn, it looks like it will. :(

Attachments

• bugger.png
    bugger.png
    264.5 KB · Views: 179

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Safari Webkit with Clicktoplugin is still working fine for Youtube - allows options to watch flash, open in Quicktime (and save) or download the mp4 file.

mikiotty

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2014
Rome, Italy
Anybody know if YouView will succumb to this issue?

EDIT: Damn, it looks like it will. :(

Yes it will, but at least it's still developed so hopefully it will be updated to support the new APIs.
I've actually tried TFF's QuickTime Enabler and it works really nice... almost as smooth as MacTubes. You could try to install "User Agent Switcher" in TFF, setting the U.A. to any iPhone version you like and use Youtube that way. The page will be lighter and QuickTime Enabler will still work. :)

----------

Safari Webkit with Clicktoplugin is still working fine for Youtube - allows options to watch flash, open in Quicktime (and save) or download the mp4 file.

That's what I use on my MDD on a daily basis. Works ok with a relatively powerful Mac.

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN

I have tried ClickToPlugin, Never could get it to work on YouTube it was always Flash same with every other site i never had the option for anything BUT flash

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
The creator of YouView appears to have a statement on this on his website.

Right now there is a bug causing issues with video playback. On 10.4, all videos do not play and you need to downgrade to an older version. On 10.5-10.9, you can downgrade to the older version to get all videos to work. On 10.10, you are stuck with some videos until I have time to research. I upgraded to the new YouTube APIs which most videos have separate video and audio streams. QuickTime's API cannot handle this, so I started work to take what I worked on with MotiOnline and put it into YouView with lots of issues. Right now, I have an algorithm to try to get the file that has both video and audio, but it may not be working right. I'm considering large changes, but first I want to get current stuff to work right. I am in school and I also work full time, so I hardly have time to work on this anymore.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
Yes it will, but at least it's still developed so hopefully it will be updated to support the new APIs.
I've actually tried TFF's QuickTime Enabler and it works really nice... almost as smooth as MacTubes. You could try to install "User Agent Switcher" in TFF, setting the U.A. to any iPhone version you like and use Youtube that way. The page will be lighter and QuickTime Enabler will still work. :)

I tried QTE on my 12" iBook G4 1.33 for a bit. It actually does a decent job playing 480p YouTube videos, although the process of searching for and playing videos isn't quite as smooth as a dedicated application like YouView. I haven't yet tried the mobile user agent trick and that may help somewhat.

ptdebate

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2014
Dallas, Texas
On a slightly related topic, YouTube is apparently discontinuing support for its app on iDevices running iOS 6 or older. This means that you can no longer view YouTube videos through the app if you're running iOS 7 or later.

Too bad there's no MacTubes for iPad!

MatthewLTL

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2015
Rochester, MN
On a slightly related topic, YouTube is apparently discontinuing support for its app on iDevices running iOS 6 or older. This means that you can no longer view YouTube videos through the app if you're running iOS 7 or later.

Too bad there's no MacTubes for iPad!

Also on a related topic... The YouTube app on Windows Mobile devices still works, I run WIndows Mobile 6 on my PocketPC and it works abit slow and laggy but works nonetheless on Windows Mobile Devices only way to view YouTube would be the app

ptdebate

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Also on a related topic... The YouTube app on Windows Mobile devices still works, I run WIndows Mobile 6 on my PocketPC and it works abit slow and laggy but works nonetheless on Windows Mobile Devices only way to view YouTube would be the app

Wow! Which Pocket PC do you have? I had an HP one back in '03 and '04.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.