Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blueshogun96

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2012
Before I jump up and try buying one of these, I want to ask if anyone has ever installed an NVIDIA Tesla on a MacPro? If so, does it work under OSX properly? I did a bit of googling, but didn't quite find the answer to what I was looking for. I hear that with a MacPro 1,1, you have to be careful with how much power you are using to avoid overloading your PSU.

Why do I want this? I want to get into some hard core CUDE/OpenCL computing. If I can't do this on my MacPro model, then I'll have to resort to using my other PC.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Shogun.

blueshogun96

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 24, 2012
I know for a fact that the C2070 worked in OSX, as we flashed a few of them.

I am fairly certain that newer ones are also in the drivers.

Do these cards have to be flashed first before they can work? Or can the work out of the box?

Shogun

layzarc

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2013
I have been using a C2050 flashed by MacVidCards for the last 3 years on a 12-core 5,1. Even if you're not going to use it for the bootscreen, I believe it needs to be flashed in order to get full PCIe 2.0 bus speed instead of just 1.0

lewnworxx

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2015
I have been using a C2050 flashed by MacVidCards for the last 3 years on a 12-core 5,1. Even if you're not going to use it for the bootscreen, I believe it needs to be flashed in order to get full PCIe 2.0 bus speed instead of just 1.0

Sort of correct. FWIU - If you want PCIe 2.0 speed for WINDOWS under bootcamp, then yes. For Mac OS non flashed cards get 2.0.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
One more correction, unless NVIDIA added to their drivers, only 4,1/5,1 get PCIE in OSX. The 3,1 typically is stuck in PCIE 1.0.

If the guy with 2050 got it awhile back he may very well have gotten it before the driver turned on PCIE 2.0 in OSX on Nehalem/Westmere Machines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.