Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
Does Apple sell a mini-VGA to DVI converter? I checked Apple.ca and didn't seem to find any. Do they even exist?

I've been thinking of getting a new LCD (maybe a dell 2005FPW) to use with both my PC desktop and my iBook. Should I just connect the iBook to it via VGA?

Any one want to quickly school me on all my options and which options would probably be the best for me?

Thanks in advance.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Umm...

I don't think the guy who wrote the second post understood your question...

Fact is, the iBook ONLY has a mini vga port, so mini vga-dvi is the way to go (besides, mini vga to vga costs the same).

Keep looking, it's on there for $19.95 American.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
appleretailguy said:
Fact is, the iBook ONLY has a mini vga port, so mini vga-dvi is the way to go (besides, mini vga to vga costs the same).

The iBook comes with a mini-VGA to VGA converter. At least, mine did.

And the 2005FPW comes with a VGA port. The OP asked whether he should use the DVI or VGA port on the Dell. My answer was that there will be no signal improvement, even if the Dell supports DVI-A signals. So why not use the VGA line, for which no additional hardware is required?

Plus, according to the Dell website here, the DVI port on the 2005FPW is a DVI-D port, not a DVI-I port. So it may not support a mini-VGA to DVI converter unless it also includes a ADC... and that's not going to be cheaper than the free VGA plug that came with the iBook....

But if I misunderstood something, please explain, so I can understand too....

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
in a nutshell, the best your iBook outputs is vga, no converter will change that. using a converter and a dvi cable will only be sending a vga signal through a dvi cable (i.e: not any better), so don't waste your money; as suggested above, use the dell's vga input
emthup.gif

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Do you know that you're going to need to install the screen spanning hack in order to get a higher resolution than 1024x768 (what the iBook's screen is). If you don't, the dell's screen will look terrible stretched and everything will be huge and weird looking.

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
Thanks for clearing up the issues with VGA and DVI mkrishnan, appleretailguy, and plinkoman. I guess I'll just connect the iBook to the LCD via VGA and reserve the DVI input for my PC.

Also, thanks to ITASOR and Eldorian for their comments about the screen spanning hack. I've known of it for a long time now but I still haven't installed it since I really haven't had the need to use it. But now that my iBook is my primary computer and my PC has been downgraded to a torrent box (seriously it's so much nicer using OS X) I figure a little more screen real-estate wouldn't hurt.

Thanks again, everyone. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.