Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
I just got a 64gb iPad Air 2 and its a beautiful device but something is missing for me.

Anyone considering going to a Surface 3 from their Air 2?

mgipe

macrumors demi-god
Oct 6, 2009
CA
I just got a 64gb iPad Air 2 and its a beautiful device but something is missing for me.

I have an Air 2 and a Surface Pro, which I got because of the precision digitizer and stylus. To me, that's what is missing from the iPad. Nevertheless, I still use the iPad more often.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
What's missing?

I think its the ability to be productive and VPN due to work needs.

I think I am having a little buyers remorse as I dont use it as much as I thought I would especially with the MBA and the Nexus 6 big screen as well.

Probably going to end up selling it but wanted to see what the Surface 3 has in store if it can be a better link between my MBA.

Y So Jelly

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2013
The Surface 3 looks better on paper, but I wasn't a fan of the interface when using touchscreen only. To actually get the full benefit out of it, you need a keyboard which is an extra $129. At that point I could get an iPad Air 2 + a full blown laptop for a little more.

This one with a 5th gen i5 was $400 yesterday, coupled with a 16GB Air 2 for $360, that's $760 for two dedicated items versus $630 for one compromised one.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba...in-gold/3108026.p?acampID=0&ref=8575135&loc=0

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

I think I am having a little buyers remorse as I dont use it as much as I thought I would especially with the MBA and the Nexus 6 big screen as well.

Probably going to end up selling it but wanted to see what the Surface 3 has in store if it can be a better link between my MBA.
Ah, thanks for the details.

From a work perspective, I can see how the iPad Air 2 falls woefully short. The Surface 3 will be outstanding in that regard. (I use my Acer Aspire Switch 11 for Windows-centric heavy lift)

Depending upon how you use your tablets, the Surface 3 may not fare as well as a tablet. I'm pushing myself to use the Switch 11 in tablet mode rather than simply default back to my iPad 4 but it is still a bit of a challenge.

Keep in mind that when all is said and done, a Surface 3 config will probably run about $780 ($599 4GB/128GB + $130 TypeCover + $50 stylus) I would not recommend the 2GB/64GB model.

SevengerNC

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2012
Winston Salem, NC
I recently sold my iPad 3 & Galaxy Note 8. Now I have an iPad Mini 2 (3 diff is touch ID which I don't want and disabled on my iPhone 6+) Ordered a Surface 3 last week.
You can never have too many toys.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Probably the true reason for my question unfortunately lol.
The downside to owning too many toys is a condition known as "gadget ADD". I have such a variety of devices that I simply pick up the one that is best suited for the task at hand. Great for getting things done quickly and effectively, but not good for finding workable solutions for the deficiencies.

SevengerNC

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2012
Winston Salem, NC
The downside to owning too many toys is a condition known as "gadget ADD". I have such a variety of devices that I simply pick up the one that is best suited for the task at hand. Great for getting things done quickly and effectively, but not good for finding workable solutions for the deficiencies.

Buy Mo Stuff !! Solves all your problems

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007

iOS devices support VPN connectivity. Cisco IPSec is built in to the OS, and OpenVPN, Juniper and a bunch of others are available using apps in the app store. I regularly use OpenVPN and Junos Pulse VPNs for work purposes on my iPad Air 2.

As for productivity, MS Office is really nice on iOS, I use it frequently. Is there something else that you need specifically?

You're asking if a Windows tablet can be better linked to an Apple product, than another Apple product. The answer is pretty much no.

That said, my iPad and MacBook Pro are pretty closely linked, as are my iMacs. All of my documents are in Dropbox, so I can easily look at what I'm doing on any device. Same goes for calendars, contacts and e-mail (all run off the work Exchange server). Generally, my laptop ends up being the device I plop on a desk or in places where I can stretch out a bit and have room to work. If not, like in a meeting room with a lot of people, or riding in a train/plane/car, or other tight space, I use the iPad.

Last edited:

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
iOS devices support VPN connectivity. Cisco IPSec is built in to the OS, and OpenVPN, Juniper and a bunch of others are available using apps in the app store. I regularly use OpenVPN and Junos Pulse VPNs for work purposes on my iPad Air 2.

As for productivity, MS Office is really nice on iOS, I use it frequently. Is there something else that you need specifically?
It highly depends upon the documents being worked on, but for my needs, MS Office for iPad is little more than a step or two above iWork.

You're asking if a Windows tablet can be better linked to an Apple product, than another Apple product. The answer is pretty much no.

That said, my iPad and MacBook Pro are pretty closely linked, as are my iMacs. All of my documents are in Dropbox, so I can easily look at what I'm doing on any device.
Again, depending upon the scenario, it is EASIER to have connectivity/"linkage" between a Windows tablet and any Macbook than an iPad with a Macbook. A Windows tablet (like the Surface 3) can run full desktop software. I too have my documents stored in dropbox and equally and easily accessible across all of my iOS, Android, OSX, and Windows devices.

There is functional parity in LibreOffice between OSX and Windows. MS Office for Mac and Windows work as well. There is a long list of software that is available for both OSX and Windows and functionally identical (or near it).

This is not possible with the iPad in the mix. Well, technically possible at some level but with the need for many compromises.

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011

That depends on what you think is missing. The iPad air 2 makes the surface 3 look like a huge brick with a crappy screen. To me all it is missing is on-screen multitasking and the ability to attach a file to a reply email. MANY iPad users don't even miss those things.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004

I mean, the surface 3 is a full PC computer in every respect. You can load up MS office and sync files with dropbox. It's a laptop in a tablet format, which you can attach a keyboard to turn back into a small laptop.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I own an iPad Air 2, and I love it. It isn't just the iPad that has me hooked, I also own an iPhone 6, Apple TV, iPad mini 2, iPod touch, and a Mac mini. No other manufacturer makes such an array of platforms that all communicate with each other so seamlessly. Microsoft products pale in comparison.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
I just see myself grabbing for my Air 2 less and less in the couple weeks Ive had it due to the large screen of the Nexus 6 and inability to really be productive from a processing/spreadsheet work needs view.

I see the SP3 are coming down in price as well but thats overkill with an MBA.

rachislenska

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2014
don't know about using it for official work purposes..but from a casual use perspective iPad is the best...windows 8.1 suffers from a severe lack of touch optimised apps...even office.u need a keyboard..u get tons of legacy apps but using it in a touch screen is a headache.saying this coz i use my acer windows 8.1 tab only for Skype chat these days..
i think iPad has the best catalogue of touch optimised apps when it comes to a tablet.
that said i agree surface 3 is a killer device from hardware perspective..

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010

There is also a certain overhead to setting up and maintaining new devices. I love the idea of the surface 3--and i think it will be far cooler than my sp 2--i just want to deal with it. tech fatigue?

----------

What if there will be iPad Pro with stylus? :apple:

cue MR poster to write there are already dozens of stylus's for the ipad. it never gets old!

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
There is also a certain overhead to setting up and maintaining new devices. I love the idea of the surface 3--and i think it will be far cooler than my sp 2--i just want to deal with it. tech fatigue?
I think that the Surface 3 is going to be an outstanding device. If Apple doesn't come through with an iPad Pro the Surface 3 is at the top of the list of next gadget purchase. :D

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
If you just got it, you can return it surely? I did the same thing; thought I wanted an iPad, realized I had no genuine use for it, so I took it back.

Bought it from a user on here so thats not an option unfortunately.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Wait for the new Surface Pro 4. It will make both tablets look like toys. I love my Air 2 but I still want a proper file system to maintain documents.

My Surface Pro 3 is closer to a laptop replacement than ever, but still no there yet. From what I hear the Surface Pro 4 WILL be what I have been waiting for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.