Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today began sending out emails to iOS developers, offering them a chance to purchase a 42mm Apple Watch Sport with a Blue Sport Band that has a guaranteed shipment date of April 28, 2015, in order to get them a device to begin testing apps on. Quantities of the watch are limited, and developers eligible to purchase a watch will be chosen by random selection.

applewatchexpedited.jpg
We want to help give Apple developers the opportunity to test their WatchKit apps on Apple Watch as soon as it is available. You have the chance to purchase one (1) Apple Watch Sport with 42mm Silver Aluminum Case and Blue Sport Band that's guaranteed to ship by April 28, 2015.

This opportunity is offered by random selection and quantities are limited. Register now though April 23 at 10 a.m. PDT. We'll let you know your status on April 23.
It's not known why Apple is offering that particular watch combination to developers, but it can be assumed that the 42mm Aluminum Apple Watch Sport may be one of the devices that the company has an ample supply of, along with the Blue Sport Band.

apple_watch_dev_entry.jpg
Confirmation screen after entering the lottery
A guaranteed April 28 delivery means developers who make a purchase will receive the Apple Watch Sport one week from today and four days after customers are expected to begin receiving the first Apple Watch devices.

Article Link: Apple Offers Developers a Chance to Buy Apple Watch Sport With Guaranteed April 28 Delivery Date

/dev/toaster

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2006
San Francisco, CA
As a registered dev (and one working on an app) I wish I had known this sooner LOL.

Oh well, mine is already on the way. But I am super happy to see Apple doing this. Developers are critical for a new platform.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Ohhh, this may be good news for Batch #2 - May 13-27. Maybe they will start shipping next Tuesday.

ethanwa79

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2014
Wish I got one. :/ I am a long-time registered dev with many apps on the App Store but never got this email.

jian

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2008
San Francisco
Let the rage begin

Let the rage begin!!!
I mean I know devs need the kit to build better apps, they need it more than I do...
but since this is the exact model I ordered with a june delivery....let the rage begin!!!!!

v2oxviesta

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2014
Raleigh, NC
What I really need is for Apple to offer an expedite for my existing order. I sure don't need an extra watch, but I'll take it if I can test my app that much earlier. I don't want to be that person who sells it, but I just can't afford to throw away another $400. I would probably test my app with gloves on, wipe the device, then sell to a family member or friend.

v2oxviesta

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2014
Raleigh, NC
Wish I got one. :/ I am a long-time registered dev but never got this email.

You have to "register" to get one. It's not a line. Just click the button and they will randomly select (on the 23rd) from the pool of people. My real question is if they will offer returns.

Last edited:

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
I just got this, and came here to macrumors to see if there was an article about it! Cause if there wasn't I'd be suspicious of the Email..

I've got one on order with an early slot so I'm not sure if I should get this..

ethanwa79

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2014
You have to "register" to get one. It's not a line. Just click the button and they will randomly select (on the 23rd) from the pool of people. My real question is if they will offer returns.

I never got the e-mail in the first place from Apple. Where do I "register" for this at?

ethanwa79

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2014
I am a long-time registered Dev with apps on the App Store and here is what it says on that page for me:

a5ai6v.jpg

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
They should sell it to Devs at a deep discount. If they can give away $10,000.00+ watches to rich people, it's the least they can do. Devs are the ones that are going to make the Apple Watch exciting to own/use.

techguy9

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2014
This confirms me that I will get my watch on Friday since they have ample supply of it.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
This confirms me that I will get my watch on Friday since they have ample supply of it.

This doesn't "confirm" anything. They probably had this idea right from the start and just set aside an X number of Apple Watch Sport 42mm with the blue band.

whatos

macrumors 6502a
I am a long-time registered Dev with apps on the App Store and here is what it says on that page for me:

Apples arrogance and intrinsic need to continually treat those outside of their secret circle with careless disregard is blatantly obvious with this news.

It's a little late for Apple to be offering what they've likely had ready sooner than now, to those who need them as a tool to do their job. Bad Apple.

supersalo

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
but it can be assumed that the 42mm Aluminum Apple Watch Sport may be one of the devices that the company has an ample supply of, along with the Blue Sport Band.

Which would explain why my 42MM Blue Sport has already moved to 'Preparing for Shipment' while my Stainless Steel watch is still 'Processing'

2bFrank

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2012
Could be talking rubbish, but it looks like it's being sent to developers who have released apps in the App Store, or a least are active developers (e.g creating certificates etc), this is just from the pattern I am seeing.

Ordered the exact same model for the wife with a June date (also have a order in for a white one, which has got the first wave delivery date) half tempted to apply, but don't want it to ruin my chances of getting my white one first.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.