Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Video or no video?

• Video

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No video

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
Hi,

I normally need to have virtual conferences with clients to showcase some of my products (software).

So far, I always use audio and video when calling clients. This after the initial phone call to know their needs and send them a quote. I also normally share my screen so that they can see the software in use from my computer.

But recently someone told me that it is much better if it is only an audio conference with a shared screen, no video.

I think making it a video call makes it more personal, and guarantees better communication with the client.

What are your thoughts?

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I go audio and video with internal team, clients with a partner onsite, but [mostly] audio only for totally remote client presentations (though still use screen sharing as needed, just not "live" video).

Now if it's a first time meeting, the initial introductions, kind of a "social business" call where you haven't had any in person meetings yet, video might be prudent, and I'd confirm in advance it's cool (and they're setup for it).

On that latter parenthetical point: __always__ confirm the other end is setup in advance of the meeting. Client app(s) installed, required accounts ready to go, a quick test run (to confirm app, potential network issues like blocked ports), required hardware, etc.

Nothing brings down a meeting more than technical issues.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I would prefer audio only.

Yet another matter on which we are in agreement……I much prefer audio; video can be a distraction (and resource greedy) unless it can be proven to have an advantage in that context.

I go audio and video with internal team, clients with a partner onsite, but [mostly] audio only for totally remote client presentations (though still use screen sharing as needed, just not "live" video).

Now if it's a first time meeting, the initial introductions, kind of a "social business" call where you haven't had any in person meetings yet, video might be prudent, and I'd confirm in advance it's cool (and they're setup for it).

On that latter parenthetical point: __always__ confirm the other end is setup in advance of the meeting. Client app(s) installed, required accounts ready to go, a quick test run (to confirm app, potential network issues like blocked ports), required hardware, etc.

Nothing brings down a meeting more than technical issues.

Absolutely agree with you. Been there, done that…..

Actually, I have been at meetings where the audio went, but the video was still running - most frustrating, and where we ended up having to do the audio by telephone.

The other thing re video conferences for larger groups is that the camera angle does not inlace all equally, (and sometimes does not include some people at all). Sort the technical stuff out in advance - otherwise, it can eat up a huge proportion of the time allotted for the meeting.

As it happens, I have been at meetings where the Lords & Masters at the other end failed to appreciate that many of us had further scheduled meetings with local interlocutors after the international conference had ended and the technical glitches meant that everything ran the risk of turning into an utter shambles.

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
Audio only it should be then!:)

As for using Skype, do you think it sounds as a little unprofessional? Instead of using WebEx or other similar software that have a more professional presentation.

I've personally used WebEx sometimes and find Skype to be more reliable.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

As for using Skype, do you think it sounds as a little unprofessional? Instead of using WebEx or other similar software that have a more professional presentation.

Whatever works best in your circumstances, or best meets your needs.

I have used Skype in Third World countries, and have found that it works perfectly well almost everywhere.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

Heck, most of the WebEx account are using the free/cheap version which is bandwidth limited, so Skype tends to work better for me.

I've used:

WebEx
GTM

Though Skype has become my go to for internal collaboration. I think the main thing is - if it's a new client, or especially if it's a _potential_ client - go with what they know and have installed. Having to download a new app, install, setup account(s), can be a real PITA (and if it's in a controlled Enterprise environment, the end user might not even be able to install without submitted a ticket to IT).

One side note:

If you're sharing an app/your desktop, make sure to _disable_ any kind of notifications (OSX, Alt-Click the notification burger). First it's disruptive, and secondly, if you use the machine for any personal communication, it could be seriously embarrassing (and even professionally damaging).

HarryPot

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 5, 2009
One side note:

If you're sharing an app/your desktop, make sure to _disable_ any kind of notifications (OSX, Alt-Click the notification burger). First it's disruptive, and secondly, if you use the machine for any personal communication, it could be seriously embarrassing (and even professionally damaging).

Very good point.

Since I constantly visit clients, I always have notifications turned off completely.

A while ago it happened to me that a notification showed while in a presentation. Thankfully nothing embarrassing, but nonetheless it looks bad.

The only one I haven't been able to stop is the pop-up when you connect an iPhone to your Mac.
I always close all my apps before a presentation, but one time I connected my iPhone to charge it, and the iTunes icon started bouncing in the dock. I know I can make it so that iTunes doesn't starts when connecting the iPhone, but I like it that that happens most of the times. The only thing I want is to prevent the icon from bouncing relentlessly...:(

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
The only one I haven't been able to stop is the pop-up when you connect an iPhone to your Mac.
I always close all my apps before a presentation, but one time I connected my iPhone to charge it, and the iTunes icon started bouncing in the dock. I know I can make it so that iTunes doesn't starts when connecting the iPhone, but I like it that that happens most of the times. The only thing I want is to prevent the icon from bouncing relentlessly...:(

Make a new account. Changing nothing from the defaults, test the iPhone while logged into that account.

If this solves the problem, i.e. no bouncing, then setup that account with suitable preferences (wallpaper, folders, etc.) and use it just for meetings/presentations.

eko91

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2015
yes

I personally chose yes because it seems like using video chatting is more common these days than it has been before. Interviews are also done through Skype. If you do video meetings /interviews then you are able to talk to people that live in a country that have different time zones. Also, when you are on vacation, you are also able to have emergency meetings. Though when you are on vacation, you should try to stay away from your work phone/email.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.