Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think about angela ahrendts' performance as retail chief ?

• Love her work

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • Hate her work

Votes: 30 44.1%
  • I have no opinion

Votes: 20 29.4%

• Total voters

pavanluvin

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
NYC
I have been a huge apple fan boy for many years. Always get the new products on Launch day. But for some reason this time, I have an uneasy feeling of the whole process of getting an Apple Watch.

Everything from:

1. The horrible experience in the store on April 10th, Apple store employees knowing very little of what was going on.

2. Ridiculous price of the gold watch

3. Only online orders for Apple Watch and Macbook.

4. Giving first preorders a window period of 4/24-5/8?!? Don't remember that happening for first batch of preorders.

4. One thing that really ticks me is that Apple/Angela are giving out Apple Watches to Celebrities. Some of whom don't even know how to wear the watch properly! (Ex: Red band upside down) Apparently they have enough to give out to celebrities... When ever new products have come out, everyone usually gets it on launch day, everyone is treated equally.

5. Why do Celebrities get different treatment and different bands that the general apple community can't buy? Are they trying to put us down by showing all these new bands that we can't buy? Can't even buy these bands at launch day...

I feel like all these slight changes are all because of Angela Ahrendts. I want to appreciate that she is trying to make the Apple Watch a new luxury item that the super rich want. But I feel like its too much change and too much chaos that she is causing. I personally don't think Angela Ahrendts has done anything ground breaking at Apple besides rough a few feathers of the Apple Community...

Just my two cents... :rolleyes:

vladzaharia

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
If a celebrity didn't get a watch, you still wouldn't have moved up the line. There's so few celebrities receiving watches that it will not in any way shape or form affect the general orders. So using that as an argument is silly. It not only doesn't affect really anything order-wise, and it provides a ridiculous amount of free publicity.

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
be careful, any negative view on Angela here people will accuse you of hating women.

my thoughts on her?? Well, I have none, what I have is utter hatreds on how the the Macbook and Apple pre-order have been handled.

and since she is in charge of of retail, I guess I don't like her either.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
She has been doing an amazing job with the Apple Watch. She is successfully launching the Apple Watch which people were MEH about at first and now they can't get the watch in their hands fast enough. Apple was able to sell 2.3 million watches in pre-orders in a single day. Two weeks before that no one was here for an Apple Watch.

You are just being hyperbolic and unrealistic. There was no way Apple should've produced more watches than they did based on the at best tepid initial response from the general public and the supply constraints. ;)

DavidLynch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2015
Apple has given you a face to be angry with whenever they make any change that you don't like whether it's her fault or not (you not specifically meaning you).

riotrhythm

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2015
I like her! I like her attitude as well. I think she has knowledgable background that will help implement Apple Watch in stores. I do think this launch has been royally ****ed up but I don't blame her for that.

foxkoneko

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2011
I have been a huge apple fan boy for many years. Always get the new products on Launch day. But for some reason this time, I have an uneasy feeling of the whole process of getting an Apple Watch.

Everything from:

1. The horrible experience in the store on April 10th, Apple store employees knowing very little of what was going on.

2. Ridiculous price of the gold watch

3. Only online orders for Apple Watch and Macbook.

4. Giving first preorders a window period of 4/24-5/8?!? Don't remember that happening for first batch of preorders.

4. One thing that really ticks me is that Apple/Angela are giving out Apple Watches to Celebrities. Some of whom don't even know how to wear the watch properly! (Ex: Red band upside down) Apparently they have enough to give out to celebrities... When ever new products have come out, everyone usually gets it on launch day, everyone is treated equally.

5. Why do Celebrities get different treatment and different bands that the general apple community can't buy? Are they trying to put us down by showing all these new bands that we can't buy? Can't even buy these bands at launch day...

I feel like all these slight changes are all because of Angela Ahrendts. I want to appreciate that she is trying to make the Apple Watch a new luxury item that the super rich want. But I feel like its too much change and too much chaos that she is causing. I personally don't think Angela Ahrendts has done anything ground breaking at Apple besides rough a few feathers of the Apple Community...

Just my two cents... :rolleyes:

really who cares about the gold watch :rolleyes:
It's not for you if you are looking at the price ;)

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Give her time geez shes only been on the job for like less than a year.
If youve worked anywhere youll know theres always an adjustment period.

She's a go getter - she's competitive and she'll get the job done.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I like her! I like her attitude as well. I think she has knowledgable background that will help implement Apple Watch in stores. I do think this launch has been royally ****ed up but I don't blame her for that.
See Im of the belief that she saved the Apple Watch from being a HUGE flop. This was the first time Tim Cook hired someone uniquely capable of doing the job. :cool:

pavanluvin

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
NYC
If a celebrity didn't get a watch, you still wouldn't have moved up the line. There's so few celebrities receiving watches that it will not in any way shape or form affect the general orders. So using that as an argument is silly. It not only doesn't affect really anything order-wise, and it provides a ridiculous amount of free publicity.

Obviously I know it won't affect me from getting my watch but just the fact that with every product they launch, everyone gets it on launch day. They should be treated like everyone else. They should not be privileged to get it earlier. All of us on this forum were waiting and constantly checking to see when Apple Watch will come out. Apple should first be loyal to its fans.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
My only criticism is that she should make sure every damn model is available in launch day. They should've delayed the launch by a month so that they could keep up with demand.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
My only criticism is that she should make sure every damn model is available in launch day. They should've delayed the launch by a month so that they could keep up with demand.

That would've pissed off investors because Apple said it would be released in "early 2015." The end of April is as late as they could've released it.

Hopefully they learned a lesson about promising a release date for an entirely new product category for them.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I don't think that she'll be around too much longer after the video that went out today. She seams nervous and trying to save her job at any cost.

The next Scott Forstall?

be careful, any negative view on Angela here people will accuse you of hating women.

my thoughts on her?? Well, I have none, what I have is utter hatreds on how the the Macbook and Apple pre-order have been handled.

and since she is in charge of of retail, I guess I don't like her either.

It's an issue of supply vs. demand. The screw-up seems to be in production. Apple trusted Quanta too much, and they didn't deliver. There is no good way to handle it at the retail level when the company has already made high profile public announcements that it will launch on a certain date.

I'm sure the video was unplanned, but so were all the supply chain issues. My guess is she's safe. The remaking of the stores is a multi-year process.

The thing to remember is that most people who ultimately buy the watch aren't going to be in the initial launch. The iPhone sold 275,000 its first weekend. This probably sold 5-10 times as many, and more than any similar device that preceded it.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Obviously I know it won't affect me from getting my watch but just the fact that with every product they launch, everyone gets it on launch day. They should be treated like everyone else. They should not be privileged to get it earlier. All of us on this forum were waiting and constantly checking to see when Apple Watch will come out. Apple should first be loyal to its fans.

The apple watch is not like any other Apple products in that normal Apple advertisements won't work on it. This is because the watch will not sell by way of tech features. It will sell by way of novelty factor - like jewellery and pretty much any other 'hot' fashion products.

The only way to drum up novelty... like any other jewellery and fashion product....is to increase the public's perception to it. And guess what, that's the job of celebrities. To be the face for corporations to sell their stuff. Be it through the medium of magazines, movies, music videos, public sightings...etc.

This isn't and shouldnt be a debate on socio-economic equality. This is merely a function of people and their roles in society. You and I have ours, celebrities have theirs. Their role in this case involves getting crap before anyone else.

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
I think she decided to try something new given the supplies, and it remains to be seen how well this will work out. We do have to give her or Apple credit for the website and app working this time- wasn't anywhere near the iPhone 6 debacle. I think she's finding out the seriousness of her position- she probably thought it would be a cakewalk compared to being a CEO, and Apple is a whole different animal.

Chiguy12

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2015
Chicago
I think she's doing a great job and I like the approach she took for the Apple watch. Since there are so many watches and band combinations Apple should of sold the bands separately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.