Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dynamitleo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2012
I've bought a used Mac Mini, and there is a big problem with it. Sometimes the screen change as if a blue-red filter covers the screen. Check the picture to see what I mean.
vLvzcNB.jpg
The mini is connected via a no-name HDMI cable to my 47 inch Phillips TV

This annoying problem occurs at arbitrary times. Sometimes it happens at intervals of 5 minutes, sometimes 30 minutes. After about a minute or two the problem resolves itself. Alternatively i can resolve it myself by changing my resolution.

The problem is unbearable and I would like to resolve it instead of contacting the seller to get my money back (he lives far away, and besides the problem, its a lovely machine). Do you guys know this problem? And do you know a solution? I've tried resetting the pram and formatting and reinstalling Yosemite - without result.

R1D1

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
Might be be a bad pin on either the cable or the display port on the computer, although with HDMI there is less to go wrong than on other types of ports. Try using another cable to see if it is the cable. Try using another means of connecting to a monitor to see if it is the port on the computer. Try using the same cable as now but connect to a regular computer monitor instead of your TV. If one of these works, then you have a solution, otherwise I am not sure what it may be.

Dynamitleo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2012
I have tried an alternative hdmi cable and port on the tv. I have also connected via an displayport/thunderbolt to hdmi adapter. Nothing resolves it.

I dont have an alternatie monitor to test it with, but my ps3, ps4, Apple tv, xbox and macbook pro have all been hooked to the tv without problems.

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
I have had this problem and it turned out to be a bad cable. I had the problem of thunderbolt to hdmi. I tried hdmi to hdmi and it worked ok but the monitor sleep would have to time out to shut the monitor off. I finally went thunderbolt to dvi and it has worked well since.

Buy quality cables and I would recommend Monoprice for quality and price. Thunderbolt adapters do not work well with older Minis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.