Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juxtaposethis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2009
Hey,

I recently bought this GTX960.

I previously had a GTX285 and with 10.9.4 (Mavericks).

I walked through the steps of first updating to 10.10.3 (I did this last Friday, the date will be important, bear with me), then installing the latest NVIDIA web drivers (346.01.02f02).

After, I made sure the driver manager had the NVIDIA web drivers selected (not the native OS drivers), turned off the system and put in the GTX960.

It worked great!

I left it up over the weekend, using it intermittently, then had to restart on Monday night. After restarting, the GTX960 was no longer outputting any video signal to the monitor. Swapping in the GTX285 worked fine.

So what happened?

I've switched DVI cables, tried a different monitor, put the GTX960 on a different PCIE port... I'm out of ideas.

My only other thinking is that it may not be receiving enough power.

Currently, I'm using the 6 to 8 pin adapter the card came with to convert the two 6 pin power cables into one 8 pin power cable for the card. When the card turns on it seems to run fine, but after getting to the point where the login screen should be up, the fans are no longer spinning. Any thoughts guys?

Thanks in advance.

Studio K

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2013
United States
You might have installed the 10.10.3 Supplemental Update which changes the OS X build number, making your nVidia drivers incompatible.

App Store may have downloaded it in the background and installed it during one of your shut down/restarts.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
While 285 is in look up, up to top of screen at NVIDIA logo.

Click on it.

It will show you which driver is running.

If it says OSX Default driver you have your answer.

Doing a PRAM reset or turning on Trim Enabler will turn OFF the Web Driver . (Cindori may have fixed the code, don't know)

juxtaposethis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2009
While 285 is in look up, up to top of screen at NVIDIA logo.

Click on it.

It will show you which driver is running.

If it says OSX Default driver you have your answer.

Doing a PRAM reset or turning on Trim Enabler will turn OFF the Web Driver . (Cindori may have fixed the code, don't know)

Unless I'm misinterpreting this, yes, when I go to the NVIDIA Web Driver manager it lists two options:

NVIDIA Web Drivers
OSX Default Driver

As I had originally posted, I made sure (and have since doubled checked) that the NVIDIA web driver is selected and running, NOT the OSX default drivers.

I have not done a PRAM reset, nor do I have Trim Enabler. Would it still be possible that something of that nature is turning off the web driver at boot up?

giodelgado

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
Hey,

I recently bought this GTX960.

I previously had a GTX285 and with 10.9.4 (Mavericks).

I walked through the steps of first updating to 10.10.3 (I did this last Friday, the date will be important, bear with me), then installing the latest NVIDIA web drivers (346.01.02f02).

After, I made sure the driver manager had the NVIDIA web drivers selected (not the native OS drivers), turned off the system and put in the GTX960.

It worked great!

I left it up over the weekend, using it intermittently, then had to restart on Monday night. After restarting, the GTX960 was no longer outputting any video signal to the monitor. Swapping in the GTX285 worked fine.

So what happened?

I've switched DVI cables, tried a different monitor, put the GTX960 on a different PCIE port... I'm out of ideas.

My only other thinking is that it may not be receiving enough power.

Currently, I'm using the 6 to 8 pin adapter the card came with to convert the two 6 pin power cables into one 8 pin power cable for the card. When the card turns on it seems to run fine, but after getting to the point where the login screen should be up, the fans are no longer spinning. Any thoughts guys?

Thanks in advance.

I have my MSI GTX 960 running with this version of the web driver using 10.10.3 (haven't installed the supplemental update)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-04-23 at 12.17.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-04-23 at 12.17.39 AM.png
    78.1 KB · Views: 154

juxtaposethis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2009
So I gave rolling back the drivers a shot and no dice.

I'm sending the card back.

If anyone has any suggestions on a more stable/widely used card, I'd appreciate that too. I see a lot of use from the 680 and the 970.

ldm92

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2010
So I gave rolling back the drivers a shot and no dice.

I'm sending the card back.

If anyone has any suggestions on a more stable/widely used card, I'd appreciate that too. I see a lot of use from the 680 and the 970.

MSI GTX 960 G2 working fine in Mac Pro 5,1 running 10.10.3 (14D136) with latest web drivers (346.01.02f02).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.