Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mirai 11

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 3, 2005
So I've owned a Pebble Steel, and tried out a Microsoft Band, along with a Sony Smartwatch 3, and a Moto 360.
Part of my job involves trying them out to see how they rate against one another, and I write about it here.
I tried the Apple Watch last week, and I did love it.
But I'm wondering if anyone else has their own Smartwatch/Band to fit their lifestyle, possibly to have alongside the Apple Watch on order, or just a straight up alternative?
I'd go with the Pebble Steel so far, until I can try a Pebble Time Steel.

AngusW

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
Alternatives to Apple Watch

So I just canceled my preorder for the Apple Watch. Decided that I'd rather wait for 2nd or 3rd generation. But in the mean time I'd like to have a decent Smart Watch, does anyone know of a good one that can still work with the iPhone? Key things for me is receiving messages (obv), getting step count, etc. I'd also like something that I can customize a little bit and in color.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
So I just canceled my preorder for the Apple Watch. Decided that I'd rather wait for 2nd or 3rd generation. But in the mean time I'd like to have a decent Smart Watch, does anyone know of a good one that can still work with the iPhone? Key things for me is receiving messages (obv), getting step count, etc. I'd also like something that I can customize a little bit and in color.

Pebble 2?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Wait for the next generation to start rolling in over the next couple of months.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

I used the Microsoft Band for about 4 months and would still be using it if I hadn't started developing a rash from it (though that's probably more on me than the band itself). It had a nice color display, syncs with iOS and offers quite a lot of functionality (notifications, watch functions--alarm, timer, stop watch, weather, UV sensor, and even a Starbucks widget to allow you to pay with the watch). It's primarily geared as a fitness device though--tracks steps, heart rate, has onboard GPS and can sync with many popular third party fitness apps (RunKeeper, myfitnesspal, mapmyfitness to name a few) via its Microsoft Health app. It also will last 2-3 days on a single charge, unless you activate the GPS tracking a lot for a walk or running.

Some things it doesn't have or cannot do when paired with iOS--no music controls, no onboard music storage, and notifications don't clear on your phone when checked on your Band, and vice versa, so if you haven't checked your notifications on your Band recently, you'll likely find a huge unread count. You also cannot respond to messages or take calls (though you can decline them from the Band) or access any voice assistants (Siri, in this case) as that functionality is exclusive to Windows phones and Cortana. It also, it a bit clunky and not the most attractive wearable. I also found it would occasionally lose bluetooth L.E. connectivity, most often when I was in the car--think interference with my car's bluetooth connection was the culprit. Either toggling BT on my phone or manually reconnecting in my iPhone's BT settings usually fixed the problem but on rare occasions it wouldn't reconnect until my car was shut off.

I'd recommend it if you are primarily interested in the fitness elements but would also like some notification functionality. It's far from perfect but was a pretty good experience overall.

AngusW

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
Wait for the next generation to start rolling in over the next couple of months.

Next gen won't be out till next year at the earliest. Especially with the first Gen not even out yet. In the next couple of months that's going to be subsequent waves of Gen 1.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Next gen won't be out till next year at the earliest. Especially with the first Gen not even out yet. In the next couple of months that's going to be subsequent waves of Gen 1.

I think you might be waiting even longer for Gen 2. I just don't see the Apple Watch on the same upgrade time table as an iPad or iPhone.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I think you might be waiting even longer for Gen 2. I just don't see the Apple Watch on the same upgrade time table as an iPad or iPhone.

That might change if the competition can bring the heat. While they didn't establish very much in their first year, they are ahead of apple in the game for once. If they grow in the right way and capitalize on that, we could see pressure.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California

Martian Notifier. Does not have step count though. Cheap at around $100, does notifications, gives caller info and number, weather info, customizable vibration patterns for all apps, LED notification light, can activate Siri or remote picture shutter, tethered leash notification, and uses a standard 22mm band, so you can switch out bands. Comes in red, black and white. 2 year analog watch battery life and 6 day OLED rechargable battery.

For step counting I use the iphone and the apps Pedometer++ and FitPort. GPS data logging is more accurate IMO.

I only mention this, because it is a minimal investment while you wait for gen 2 Apple Watch.

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
I've been using a vivosmart (Garmin) and, despite also owning a 360 for a week and trying out the Apple Watch, I can honestly say I prefer the vivosmart. Main reasons are battery life of 5-7 days, being waterproof, providing notification alerts and being good for fitness.

I found both the 360 and apple watches sluggish to use and daily charging is not for me. Not being waterproof is also a big negative for me. Yes, they both have tons of extra features but I found them mostly redundant or clumsy to use (tiny maps to navigate, text being cut off, having to scroll too much, inconsistent touch detection, and much more). Knowing my phone is in my pocket just kills much of these non-essential apps and features.

So smart watches are not for me. At least not yet. Others will no doubt love them and get more out of them.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

Clarification: Wait for the next generation of smart watches that aren't Apple watch.

Samsung for example is not far from their next wave, and the Moto 360 is due for an update.

Though personally, I'd get the Apple Watch. I had a Galaxy Gear S, and tried the Apple Watch, and the disparity in quality and polish is surreal between the two.

Hopefully Apple Watch will force the competition to get their game up.

AngusW

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
Clarification: Wait for the next generation of smart watches that aren't Apple watch.

Samsung for example is not far from their next wave, and the Moto 360 is due for an update.

Though personally, I'd get the Apple Watch. I had a Galaxy Gear S, and tried the Apple Watch, and the disparity in quality and polish is surreal between the two.

Hopefully Apple Watch will force the competition to get their game up.

But how can I get them work with my iPhone? It's not jailbroken and so far as I know the jailbreak for iOS 8.3 hasn't been released yet.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
That might change if the competition can bring the heat. While they didn't establish very much in their first year, they are ahead of apple in the game for once. If they grow in the right way and capitalize on that, we could see pressure.
I think android wear is already starting to bring the heat. The new update to android wear seems like some really nice improvements, and if build off that they can really have a great product line. Design is the only thing android will not have a say in, so it will be up the the OEMs to produce watches that match the build quality of the AW. For me I like my moto 360 just fine. I don't see the AW as much of a huge build quality improvement.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I think android wear is already starting to bring the heat. The new update to android wear seems like some really nice improvements, and if build off that they can really have a great product line. Design is the only thing android will not have a say in, so it will be up the the OEMs to produce watches that match the build quality of the AW. For me I like my moto 360 just fine. I don't see the AW as much of a huge build quality improvement.

I think there are a number of Android Wear watches that look way better than the Apple Watch. I find the Apple Watch quite ugly. In fact, I suspect if the AW was designed by someone else, many if not most people would laugh at it. Build quality seems nice though, but not design.

The Moto 360 is gorgeous in person (the flat tire thing doesn't bother me one bit, but either way, Motorola will probably redesign that in the next generation). The LG Urbane looks beautiful. Huwai's new smartwatch looks very good too. While Samsung's Gear Fit watch wasn't very functional, it's beautifully designed. If Samsung continues on their path, their next generation of Gear watches could be winners, especially riding off their S6/Edge momentum.

I hope to see the competition take advantage of that year head start. They have the chance here to lead.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I think there are a number of Android Wear watches that look way better than the Apple Watch. I find the Apple Watch quite ugly. In fact, I suspect if the AW was designed by someone else, many if not most people would laugh at it. Build quality seems nice though, but not design.

The Moto 360 is gorgeous in person (the flat tire thing doesn't bother me one bit, but either way, Motorola will probably redesign that in the next generation). The LG Urbane looks beautiful. Huwai's new smartwatch looks very good too. While Samsung's Gear Fit watch wasn't very functional, it's beautifully designed. If Samsung continues on their path, their next generation of Gear watches could be winners, especially riding off their S6/Edge momentum.

I hope to see the competition take advantage of that year head start. They have the chance here to lead.

I wholeheartedly agree, I never understood the appeal of the apple watch. Although when I look at the fashion world I kind of understand. You can see the most incredibly butt ugly things in the fashion world, but they are instantly accepted and people pay a ton of money for them. Apple's marketing genius is they positioned something run of the mill and ugly as this incredible fashion item and sure enough people are lining up in droves for it. Google doesn't understand this mentality, to their detriment. If they made a truly incredible work of hardware art I'll bet they would sell tons of it. Kind of like what Microsoft did with the surface line.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

Has Apple ever based their device release schedule on the competition?

----------

I originally thought the same.

Seeing and feeling/touching/wearing them in person, I couldn't have been more wrong.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Has Apple ever based their device release schedule on the competition?

Doubt Apple could, even if they wanted to. Unlike Samsung, Apple is dependent on to many other companies to create, assemble and package their products to be able to speed up production or significantly alter a products composition.

So, it is really a moot point to say Apple has ever based their release schedule on any other product. But a company like Samsung can, because nearly every product they make is in house. They can make changes on the fly. One of the very few electronics companies that can.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Doubt Apple could, even if they wanted to. Unlike Samsung, Apple is dependent on to many other companies to create, assemble and package their products to be able to speed up production or significantly alter a products composition.

So, it is really a moot point to say Apple has ever based their release schedule on any other product. But a company like Samsung can, because nearly every product they make is in house. They can make changes on the fly. One of the very few electronics companies that can.

How about this - when was the last time Apple ever reacted to a competitor. In advertising or anything? PC vs Mac commercials?

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
How about this - when was the last time Apple ever reacted to a competitor. In advertising or anything? PC vs Mac commercials?

iPhone 6 was in direct reaction to the Samsung Note phablet and larger Android phones with 5" screens? Especially in the Chinese market, which Apple specifically stated back in early 2014 was going to be their new focal growth area.

iPad Mini in direct reaction to 7" tablets like the Nexus 7? Even after Steve Jobs said Apple would never make a smaller tablet because your fingers would be rubbed down to the bone from swiping to much.

NFC for an electronic wallet in direct reaction to Google Wallet and the fact that so many countries in the world use NFC for various other payments and services, like subways and vending machines.

Just a few things I can think of off the top of my head.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
iPhone 6 was in direct reaction to the Samsung Note phablet and larger Android phones with 5" screens? Especially in the Chinese market, which Apple specifically stated back in early 2014 was going to be their new focal growth area.

iPad Mini in direct reaction to 7" tablets like the Nexus 7? Even after Steve Jobs said Apple would never make a smaller tablet because your fingers would be rubbed down to the bone from swiping to much.

NFC for an electronic wallet in direct reaction to Google Wallet and the fact that so many countries in the world use NFC for various other payments and services, like subways and vending machines for the past few years, like in the southeast Asia sector and Europe.

Just a few things I can think of off the top of my head.

Larger screens - yes.

Mini tablet - ehh, ok.

NFC payments? No....Google Wallet has been nothing more than an afterthought. Apple entered that arena because $$$. That and they already had hundreds of millions of people's payment info so, why not?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I originally thought the same.

Seeing and feeling/touching/wearing them in person, I couldn't have been more wrong.

After having it on and playing with it for a bit, I find the design and overall execution to be stunning.

To such an extent I think it could be as iconic as the Nathan George Horwitt Museum Watch for smart watches.

While I can't promise I will trade my S6 for a an iPhone 6S in the fall, the Apple Watch is having a some swaying power with me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.