Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Knock, the iOS app that lets you unlock your Mac with Bluetooth instead of a password, is today being updated with Apple Watch support, bringing the same unlocking capabilities to Apple's upcoming wrist worn device.

Knock for iOS lets an iPhone pair to a Mac to bypass the need to enter a password, and Knock for Apple Watch will work in the same way. It will no longer be necessary to dig an iPhone out of a bag or a purse, because the Apple Watch with Knock Glance will also let users log into their Macs.

knockforapplewatch.jpg
When we saw Apple Watch, we knew immediately that we had to make Knock one of the first apps available for it. Knock and Apple Watch are a match made in heaven. With Knock 2.0, leaving your iPhone in your bag or the other room isn't a problem. Whenever you open your Mac, Knock is right there at your wrist, ready to go. And with the Knock Glance, you can even unlock your Mac while you walk over to it -- or lock it as you walk away.
Today's Knock update also includes Touch to Unlock, which aims to introduce an extra layer of security for those who need it. With Touch to Unlock, unlocking a Mac with an iPhone also requires a finger to be placed on Touch ID, so it's no longer possible to unlock the Mac with just the iPhone in the event of a theft.

The new Touch to Unlock feature works in conjunction with the Apple Watch in a unique way that's similar to how Apple Pay works. When the Apple Watch is placed on the wrist, users are prompted to use Touch ID or a PIN code to unlock a Mac, and that enables the Apple Watch to continue to unlock the Mac as long as it remains in contact with skin on the wrist.

Knock can be downloaded from the App Store for $3.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Knock' Aims to Let You Unlock Your Mac With Your Apple Watch

MarcoCapa

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2013
I suppose that apple would probably integrate this kind of thing in iOS 9... If you watch from a certain point of view is similar to continuity

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I want a Watch app that uses the accelerometer to let me awaken my Mac by slapping it with a glove.

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008
1) That's a start but I wish that Apple had included this as a default feature of Watch.

2) Does this (or any other) allow for auto-locking when your Watch gets too far away from your Mac? Can this be used to auto-lock an iPhone or iPad. Are there safe zones? For instance, I want this to work when my Mac/iPhone is connected to my home network, but not when I'm sitting in a coffee shop using their public network. Can it use BT sensitivity (as found in iBeacons) so that it will un/lock at various distances away from the Mac based on the signal strength.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
In my opinion, MacID (http://macid.co) works way much better than Knock and has more features. I hope they make a similar app too!

I have both Knock and MacID and I prefer MacID as well (although IMO, it would be better if the feature gets baked into iOS 9). In any case, according to MacIDHelp twitter account, Apple Watch support is in testing phase.

acctman

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2012
Georgia
already a bunch of App's for IOS that will unlock and lock you Mac if your iPhone is not near. App called Tether does the exact same thing... nothing ground breaking. just one has better marketing i guess.

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
In my opinion, MacID (http://macid.co) works way much better than Knock and has more features. I hope they make a similar app too!

Thanks - that one looks better than Know - I just downloaded it and will give it a try.

I have tried Knock and it is fun to show off, but nothing I want to always enable. Everyone can just knock on my phone (if it is sitting on my desk while I went to get some water or use the toilet) - never felt very secure because of that.

I like using the touch-ID for unlocking the desktop (still waiting for the MacBooks and iMacs with integrated touchID).

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

MacID will be Apple Watch compatible. The developer released beta 1.2, which has many new features, ( using the beta as we speak) which will include those for the Apple Watch.

I really like MacID. It has a lot more going for it than "Knock," in my opinion.

----------

Does either support locking?

MacID supports locking. It will also enter your admin password for you when need be, which I really like.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
1) That's a start but I wish that Apple had included this as a default feature of Watch.

2) Does this (or any other) allow for auto-locking when your Watch gets too far away from your Mac? Can this be used to auto-lock an iPhone or iPad. Are there safe zones? For instance, I want this to work when my Mac/iPhone is connected to my home network, but not when I'm sitting in a coffee shop using their public network. Can it use BT sensitivity (as found in iBeacons) so that it will un/lock at various distances away from the Mac based on the signal strength.

MacID already has the auto locking feature when away. Such features are slated to be included in a new version of MacID (for the Apple watch).

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
There's another app FingerScan I think..(?) that uses TouchID to do this, but doesn't do it from the initial startup, so is rendered useless imo.

Unless this works from startup and makes it faster... then it's useless as an alternative.

thisisdallas

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2012
Cupertino, CA
All of the Bluetooth LE convenience apps I've tried seem to be really buggy to me. Continuity works just fine, but when you toss in a bluetooth mouse, the apps seem to fall apart. Pushbullet rarely worked and I spent more time configuring and fixing it than actually receiving notifications. Knock worked 10% of the time, and when it did, it took a good 40 seconds, to which I usually just entered my password anyways. The rest that I've tried require unlocking the phone and stuff, which is more effort than entering the password in.

If MacID works out, that'd be amazing.

Knock on the other hand... Meh

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
'Knock' Aims to Let You Unlock Your Mac With Your Apple Watch

The best part about MacID is the feature to unlock you Mac by tapping a pattern on your touch pad or Magic Mouse. It's the best and easiest and only requires your phone be in range.... You don't need to interact with the phone at all.

Robert M.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2010
Touch ID is completely different (really because it doesn't require another device and two apps). Actually, Apple should start putting it in Macs.

;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.