Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 7, 2015
UK
I was looking at some Watch apps earlier on and I started thinking I would feel embarrassed using the watch in public, i.e. interacting with it: touching the screen, talking into it, and so on.

I'm reminded of the Sinclair C5 electric car. It was going to change the world. Nobody bought them because people felt ridiculous in them.

We're all buying Apple Watches of course but I wonder how we'll use them in practice.

article-1326823-01FD44E10000044D-596_634x436.jpg

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
im gonna start wearing it tomorrow once it comes in the mail and i know for a fact its gonna turn heads and people will be asking questions and all that.

DavidLynch

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2015
There are other more embarrassing things I do in public, but only the Apple Watch will give me updates on the Yankees game.

Reactions: dan.synergy

Phisherman81

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
maybe for the first week or so when people are staring at me while I'm checking my watch because it's so new, but only because they're staring at me.

That said, I will try hard to ensure it will not take my attention away from normal interactions with other real people in the real world. So it will be second fiddle when I'm not by myself. I would feel more embarrassed if I let that happen.

Viper2005

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2007
I won't be any more embarrassed using the watch than when I use a selfie stick in public!

ZMRoach

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2007
Seattle
I've already had multiple smart watches and never felt odd using any of them in public. Now, using the voice functions are a different story.

Reactions: amirite

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Of course I will be as embarrassed to use my iPhone, iPad and rMB in public as I will be the AppleWatch.

J4B3

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
Gamma Quadrant
I will be a little bit at first; I'd rather not draw unnecessary attention to myself or feel like I'm flashing my new gadget in people's faces. It was the same with the iPad when it first came out. After a few weeks (1+ year) it will feel normal.

Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
A little self-conscious maybe, not exactly embarrassed. I might ease into it by only wearing it during sports and at home for a while. ;)

MyPad

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2012
If I ever get mine I plan on walking around talking to it and pretending it can shoot lasers. I'm going to point my wrist at things and shout "Pew! Pew! Pew!" as I press the crown.

Reactions: MisterMillz

Robert M.

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2010
Where do you guys live? No one is gonna care if you start poking at your watch while in line for a movie. Just don't start talking on it.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Here's a very important tip to keep from being embarrassed by your new device:

Try very hard NOT to use your selfie stick to take a photo of yourself from your iPhone, every time you check why your new smartwatch buzzed you.

Trust me. It makes people stare.

iluvgadgets

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2015
Nope , I've had the Samsung gear for a while and use it regularly!! But, oddly enough people are just starting to notice it and keep asking if it's the apple watch!! Crazy how these watches have been out for a while and no one seemed to notice til apple watch!!

Reactions: amirite and X5-452

kdarling

macrumors P6
Nope , I've had the Samsung gear for a while and use it regularly!! But, oddly enough people are just starting to notice it and keep asking if it's the apple watch!! Crazy how these watches have been out for a while and no one seemed to notice til apple watch!!

Seriously, this is the truth. I've been all over the place with a glowing smartwatch for years now, and people just pretty much didn't pay attention until they started hearing about them on the news.

dandrewk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
San Rafael, California
One of the first times with the watch will be at my health club. I can hear the murmurs: "Oh look, show off geek just HAS to get the latest toy before everyone else".

Read: Jealousy, hah!

Ok, I'm evil. But I will be a tad bit self conscious. At first.

Reactions: amirite
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.