Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
With Powermacs and LCDs updated on Tuesday... all eyes turn to the iMacs as the next updates. Scattered rumors of iMac updates started spreading prior to MacWorld Expo SF 2003. Rumors were dampened immediately before MWSF with reports from ThinkSecret that the iMacs would not be upgraded at that time.

Despite unconfirmed reports that the iMacs would be coupled with the PowerMac and LCD updates... the iMacs remain unaltered.

The high end iMac should bring the following features and price:

High End iMac
$1799
17" Screen (no 19")
1GHz
4x DVD-R
DDR RAM
Bluetooth and Airport Extreme capabilities

While ThinkSecret initially mentioned February 3rd, 2003 as a possible date... it appears February 4th will bring us the new iMacs.

DeusOmnis

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
They wouldnt use a 19" lcd, would tehy? they'd use a 20" one. The problem with that is that it costs 1.3k base and the imac is suppose to be the cheap route. If you have a 20" lcd, then you want to have a fast compy, and we're instantly way over 2k total.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Seems logical. I guess the only surprise is the DDR Ram. I suppose that means we'll see the 133Mhz bus in the iMac because Apple will probably use 266 DDR Ram (which implies the 133 bus). That's good to see. :)

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
I hope the 17" carries down to some lower models. I want to get an LCD Mac, but can't afford the current 17" right now. My only option is a used tower + 3rd party LCD, but not many people make wide screen 17"s :mad:

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2002
I do see 20" as the next logical step in screen size. Monitors keep getting bigger and bigger, and prices are bound to fall (if not in this lifetime) to the point where the 20" would be logical.

I remember the rumors about moving ports to the front of the machine, anyone think it will happen?

Also, any word on new graphics cards? The GeForce 2 and 4 just aren't cutting it anymore. Yeah, they're just as good as a consumer Dell, but OS X is so graphics heavy, all the video RAM you can get, right?

Also, a quick question on AirPort Extreme. I read reports that Bluetooth had serious effects on 802.11b speeds, is it the same with 802.11g? Also, does AirPort Extreme have some proprietary system to fix any issue that may occur?

MacKid

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2003
Originally posted by funkywhat2
I do see 20" as the next logical step in screen size. Monitors keep getting bigger and bigger, and prices are bound to fall (if not in this lifetime) to the point where the 20" would be logical.

I remember the rumors about moving ports to the front of the machine, anyone think it will happen?

This is just my opinion, but 20" just seems way too top heavy (remember when you first saw the 17"s IN REAL LIFE? ;) ) Also, I sorta think the iMac would lose its appeal with white cords sticking all out the front.

But it's just an opinion!:D

SoonToGetAMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2003
California
I feel the same way with wires on the front. Also, do Macs always come out on Tuesdays like DVDs, CDs, major books, etc.? This has always puzzeled me, but I was thinking that it could be from like the 50's and 60's (mabye later) when stores didn't open on Sunday or Monday, so the first day of the week that items could be sold was Tuesday. Sorry this was off topic, it has just always been a qustioion of mine.

funkywhat2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2002
Originally posted by MacKid

This is just my opinion, but 20" just seems way too top heavy (remember when you first saw the 17"s IN REAL LIFE? ;) ) Also, I sorta think the iMac would lose its appeal with white cords sticking all out the front.

But it's just an opinion!:D

Personally, I think the 17" looks too small still. I also don't like the front ports idea, but it could also lead into a base revision, which may lead into larger screens.

Domino effect based on sketchy rumors, I love it!

psxndc

macrumors regular
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by SoonToGetAMac
Also, do Macs always come out on Tuesdays like DVDs, CDs, major books, etc.? This has always puzzeled me, but I was thinking that it could be from like the 50's and 60's (mabye later) when stores didn't open on Sunday or Monday, so the first day of the week that items could be sold was Tuesday.

I think this has to do more with even if they ship them Saturday, they won't get there till Monday and then the crews have to unpack and set them up that night for Tuesday.

That's my guess at least. Most videogames have ship dates of Mondays but you can't get them in the stores until Tuesday.

-p

SoonToGetAMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2003
California
Originally posted by psxndc

I think this has to do more with even if they ship them Saturday, they won't get there till Monday and then the crews have to unpack and set them up that night for Tuesday.

That's my guess at least. Most videogames have ship dates of Mondays but you can't get them in the stores until Tuesday.

-p

Okay, thanks, I geuss I was just over analyzing.

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
I hope they drop the top one down some, $1799 seems a bit high now that Apple re-priced everything else.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX

:p :D ....haha! but the iSusan implies that the purchaser's name is Susan and that she doesn't know what a verb is....it should be the iAmSusan :)

or iAmAPhoto, or iAmAPod, or iAmADVD, or iAmTunes (WeAreTunes?), or iAmAMovie...
the only apple one with the semblance of a verb is iMack, and that's just plain dirty.

i think iSusan comes from the classic rotating condiments rack thing, the lazy susan.

[edit] as astutely notice by moxiemike before me! darn! [/edit]

[edit2] also, if we wanted to make more sense, we could say iDoMovies, iDoTunes, etc..
well, iDoSusan. [/edit2]

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Also, Apple releases on Tuesdays, so I think it would be the 4th not the 3rd, I'm a little surprised TS would say a Monday.

SoonToGetAMac

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2003
California
Originally posted by Shadowfax

or iAmAPhoto, or iAmAPod, or iAmADVD, or iAmTunes (WeAreTunes?), or iAmAMovie...
the only apple one with the semblance of a verb is iMack, and that's just plain dirty.

i think iSusan comes from the classic rotating condiments rack thing, the lazy susan.

[edit] as astutely notice by moxiemike before me! darn! [/edit]

[edit2] also, if we wanted to make more sense, we could say iDoMovies, iDoTunes, etc..
well, iDoSusan. [/edit2]

Yeah, but IAmSusan is the only realistic one, unless you know an animate DVD, in which case I think you my not be mentally stable.;)

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX

Yeah, but IAmSusan is the only realistic one, unless you know an animate DVD, in which case I think you my not be mentally stable.;)

shoot, you know how many DVDs i have lost? the darn things just get up and fly away!

:eek:

CybrCyfr

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2003
iMac Colors? iMac screen resolution?

I would really love to see colored iMacs.

I bought an iMac and after hooking it up to an external monitor I came to the realization that I was limited to 1024x768 resolution. Way to large for my taste on a 21" monitor.

I guess I should have read the specs more. But the arm on the iMac is so damn sexy I had to have one.

I guess my next mac will be a new PowerMac... Unless someone knows a trick for changing the graphics card in the 15" iMac (I assume it can't be done?)...

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL
What about the eMacs?? New iMacs are great but a little to pricey for my cousin (a student). Right now he's lookin' at the Combo drive eMac. If they update the iMacs but not the eMacs...they shoull at least drop the price on the eMacs.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Someone start a new thread. I do not have the authority

Steve Jobs wants a new job.

1. Steve Jobs is President of Pixar which is a wonderkiind success story if there ever was one.

2. Steve Jobs has overseen the start-up of Apple Computer, perhaps the definitive leader in computer R&D and later rearrived to revive the believers. In financially successful fashion no less.

3. AOL/Time Warner needs a President.

4. Steve Job's company is the Apple in AOL. Time Warner has actual assets in need of management with value independent of the internet.

5. Apple/Jobs has experience in accumulating and managing large assets.

Rocketman

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.