Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kyle Nerder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
Toronto
So I have a 2.0DP PowerMac. I have it for about 5 months and I bought it used off eBay. It was still on AppleCare when I got it, but it expired last week and I didn't extend the AppleCare. It hasn't missed a beat to date.

This is what happened today.
I put it too sleep this morning before going to work. I'm not sure if it fully went to sleep though. I push the button and the monitor shut off, but the machine kept running and I though it would go to sleep. Anyways, I left for work.

I get home 10 hours later. I hear loud fan noises. WTF? I try to wake it. Nothing happens, just more fan noises. All of them must have been spinning at full RPM. The machine is frozen. I plug the power plug to kill it and then plug it back in. Turn is back on. No problems. I check the CPUs temperatures too make sure this thing didn't over heat and go into a safe mode/full cooling. Both CPUs were under 100*F. My heart finally slows down and that its. Everything seems to be cool again.

But why did it do this?
I do have a Belkin 5 port USB PCI card in the machine.
No programs were running.
I have my keyboard plugged in. USB
I have my Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse plugged in. USB
Logitech USB mic plugged in. USB
Epson CX4800 plugged in. USB
iPod dock was in the firewire with no iPod docked.

I haven't even tried putting it to sleep since I installed the Belkin USB card. I know some USB cards were know to kill the sleep on these machines.

That's it. Too weird and scary. I don't want to lose my baby. Can anyone explain?

Kyle Nerder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
Toronto
Turns out it is the Belkin card. I removed it and the problem was fixed. I have email tech support for Belkin.

This card is recommended for the PowerMac by Belkin.

asencif

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
Belkin

Kyle Nerder said:
Turns out it is the Belkin card. I removed it and the problem was fixed. I have email tech support for Belkin.

Yeah I was reading your first post and was going to say it was the Belkin card when then I saw your second post. There are known issues with that PCI USB Card and the PM G5 going to sleep. It appears some G4's don't have this problem, but to be on the safe side I went with the IOgear USB 2.0 card that has 5-ports.

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
of my hand will get me slapped.
Kyle Nerder said:

Ive learned that belikn makes some nice cables but everything else they make is crap.

Kyle Nerder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
Toronto
asencif said:
Yeah I was reading your first post and was going to say it was the Belkin card when then I saw your second post. There are known issues with that PCI USB Card and the PM G5 going to sleep. It appears some G4's don't have this problem, but to be on the safe side I went with the IOgear USB 2.0 card that has 5-ports.
Is th IOgear one Mac sleep'able? I hate it when manufacturers claim their parts are compatable, but when actually have them in your hands, you realize what junk they just sold you:eek:

asencif

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2005
Kyle Nerder said:
Is th IOgear one Mac sleep'able? I hate it when manufacturers claim their parts are compatable, but when actually have them in your hands, you realize what junk they just sold you:eek:

Actually for me there is no issue putting my PM G4 1.0GHZ to sleep with the card and all the ports have been working great as I synch my Ipod G5 and scan with my canon lide. I would research the forums on people having problems with this card and the PM G5. Or maybe google it.

Edit: By the way, the card is Iogear USB 2.0 PCI Card GIC251U.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.