Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nrubenstein

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2008
Washington, DC
Since Apple is claiming that you can submerge it for 30 minutes in 1 meter of water, I don't really see how that video proves that their claims are "conservative."

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Since Apple is claiming that you can submerge it for 30 minutes in 1 meter of water, I don't really see how that video proves that their claims are "conservative."

Well for one, Apple's documentation says not to shower or swim with the watch.

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
So, the rating is the rating, but they are being conservative because if you actually *do* it and, say, press a button or the temperature change is such that some vapor is sucked in, that can turn into water internally (you know what I mean...), and there goes the ball game.

They don't want hundreds of claims because people tested the limits of the rating. I don't blame them.

Of course, they already did that (committed a lot of watch units) with people ordering two and returning one. Lol...

mchoffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Asheville, NC
I'm glad others are doing this before I get my watch. I'm sure by May 13 we'll know how good or bad the water resistance really is across the board. So far though, this video means I won't worry about anything. Rarely do I get the chance to be around a significant amount of water (pools, lakes, ocean).

peteo

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2007
As above, the watch is rated to IPX7. To obtain that standard it must be tested and pass being submerged for 30 mins at a depth of 1 meter.

That's with the item not moving. When you move it creates pressure, which can allow water to get in.
It's good to see some one swimming with the watch and it survives but probably not a good idea to do often

akonikui

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Definitely good to know! I'm sure Apple is just covering their a**es by recommending you not submerge it.
Showering is a different story. I don't believe the ratings take hot water into account. (See: Pebble, Jawbone Up fiasco, etc).

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
That's with the item not moving. When you move it creates pressure, which can allow water to get in.
It's good to see some one swimming with the watch and it survives but probably not a good idea to do often

True, but he hardly swam with it. Most of it was just submerging, first in a bucket then in a pool (with his arm hardly moving). It appeared to be submerged deeper than 1 meter (on the floor of the pool) for only a brief moment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.