Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Hi folks,

If this is on the borderline of piracy then admins can shut it down, but I believe it's not:

I'm looking to edit 5 DVDs for my buddy who is an actor. He changed agents and need to create a new demo reel. We need to extract small bits from each movie for a new demo reel, plus he wants to add newer material.

I have an older version of Mac The Ripper which can decrypt all but one.

I also use Cinematize Pro 2 to extract the sections we need, but it's not always taking the exact aspect ratio.

One movie's ratio is : 2:40:1 and even if I try to bring it in to NTSC 16:9, I still have the bars on top/bottom.

I'm not a cheap so not against paying for a solution because this is for a demo reel so quality is important.

I have taken the 5 DVDs and made MP4s with Handbrake, but of course, those are compressed.

Looking for a solution where we can extract full uncompressed (as much as a DVD can do of course) and then bring into Final Cut X for editing.

Cheers,
Keebler

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Sometimes MakeMKV will extract where Mac TheRipper fails (sometimes the other way around). Then use handbrake to convert the MKV file to something editable. Some DVDs are not readily extractable....

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Thanks. I forgot to mention I tried that too. In the end, he was ok to just have mp4s and edit from there as people reviewing don't necessarily care about the best quality. They just want to see examples of different scenes etc...

ewout

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2014
I would also recommend macx dvd ripper pro to you, as ColdCase sugggested. It supports many output formats, including MOV. you can read its user guide to know how to operate.

Hope it could help you, or maybe you have found other solutions :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.