Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zachster7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
Ordered 42mm SS white sport band, received it this morning. I can confirm that UPS has strict directions on the delivery of the watch. I know my UPS guy and he stopped me on the street this morning and said, "I have your watch do you want it now?" On the package there is a hand written note that says to contact the station when delivery is made and do not driver release. So it's safe to say that they are specific with delivery of the watch.

I open the box, presentation is great. I swap bands and put it on, side button does nothing, crown does nothing. No response at all. I call Apple Care and get immediately through to a senior tech who is fielding Apple Watch calls. We trouble shoot the watch over a period of an hour and when plugged in the screen will flash the apple symbol, however the watch will not turn on. I send in video of the screen and he basically says that there are several teams working on on these few new issues of people calling, I was apparently a first, and he is going to send out a replacement one. He does not have a turn around time but will follow back up on a timeframe when he receives one. I'm admittedly a fan boy, but I have to say it's bittersweet all the anticipation and waiting only to have the watch arrive and not work. Sorry for the wall of text, I know that many members like details. Like many have already commented the watch is beautiful, I am a watch guy and have several very high end watches, and I am pleased with the quality.

Kent01

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2015
Massachusetts
Well at least you got one and received a shipping notification. I have a 38mm SG Sport ordered at 3:04am with a 4/24-5/8 and have not received a single thing from them. No CC charge either. Could be worse.

Exile714

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2015
Sorry, that really sucks... There is nothing else anyone can say.

Good luck getting a replacement?

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Damn, that sucks.

Hope you get your replacement asap!

(Meanwhile, I get to wait until June for my black SS)

Air-e

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2015
Ordered 42mm SS white sport band, received it this morning. I can confirm that UPS has strict directions on the delivery of the watch. I know my UPS guy and he stopped me on the street this morning and said, "I have your watch do you want it now?" On the package there is a hand written note that says to contact the station when delivery is made and do not driver release. So it's safe to say that they are specific with delivery of the watch.

I open the box, presentation is great. I swap bands and put it on, side button does nothing, crown does nothing. No response at all. I call Apple Care and get immediately through to a senior tech who is fielding Apple Watch calls. We trouble shoot the watch over a period of an hour and when plugged in the screen will flash the apple symbol, however the watch will not turn on. I send in video of the screen and he basically says that there are several teams working on on these few new issues of people calling, I was apparently a first, and he is going to send out a replacement one. He does not have a turn around time but will follow back up on a timeframe when he receives one. I'm admittedly a fan boy, but I have to say it's bittersweet all the anticipation and waiting only to have the watch arrive and not work. Sorry for the wall of text, I know that many members like details. Like many have already commented the watch is beautiful, I am a watch guy and have several very high end watches, and I am pleased with the quality.

I have the exact same problem as you. I'm getting it replaced but now I have to wait an extra 7-10 days as the genius bar employee told me.

Zachster7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
have you tried just plugging in and leaving for a while maybe the battery is completely dead.

Yes, we worked through quite a few things, he asked that I leave it plugged in for the remainder of the day to see if anything changes, he also asked if engineering could contact me with questions over this issue. Overall the support quality has been great.

Primus84

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2005
UK
Yes, we worked through quite a few things, he asked that I leave it plugged in for the remainder of the day to see if anything changes, he also asked if engineering could contact me with questions over this issue. Overall the support quality has been great.

Do you not live near an Apple Store or do your local ones not have any warranty replacement models?

Zachster7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
I have the exact same problem as you. I'm getting it replaced but now I have to wait an extra 7-10 days as the genius bar employee told me.

I feel you man :( It seems to me that to some extent they are still working out the protocols for this. i.e. what warrants a replacement, what the issue is etc. Hopefully we both get it sorted soon. I have to say that I thought I was going crazy at first with it not turning on, I was glad to hear that it was a defect and not that I was somehow not turning it on correctly, lol.

----------

Do you not live near an Apple Store or do your local ones not have any warranty replacement models?

Sadly no I live in Wyoming, there are no Apple Stores close by. However, even if I did it seems that there is a delay in replacement as mentioned above by another user. The tech I spoke with did say that there WAS stock allocated for issues like these, I seem to remember reading a thread this morning that was questioning if that was indeed the case or not.

mobutt

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
I feel you man :( It seems to me that to some extent they are still working out the protocols for this. i.e. what warrants a replacement, what the issue is etc. Hopefully we both get it sorted soon. I have to say that I thought I was going crazy at first with it not turning on, I was glad to hear that it was a defect and not that I was somehow not turning it on correctly, lol.

----------

Sadly no I live in Wyoming, there are no Apple Stores close by. However, even if I did it seems that there is a delay in replacement as mentioned above by another user. The tech I spoke with did say that there WAS stock allocated for issues like these, I seem to remember reading a thread this morning that was questioning if that was indeed the case or not.

My store said they have to send it in for repair.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I hope you're getting a new retail order and now an Applecare replacement that won't match your original box?

Primus84

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2005
UK
Have to say they've not dealt with it as well as they could have done.

There should be no wait of 7-10 days for a replacement, they should have replacement models ready to ship out next day for customers they have let down and disappointed by delivering a faulty product to.

mobutt

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010

There should be no wait of 7-10 days for a replacement, they should have replacement models ready to ship out next day for customers they have let down and disappointed by delivering a faulty product to.
Agreed although my store said 3-5.

water0nmars

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2015
Well at least you got one and received a shipping notification. I have a 38mm SG Sport ordered at 3:04am with a 4/24-5/8 and have not received a single thing from them. No CC charge either. Could be worse.

Sarcasm?

Because if not, personally I would rather be waiting on mine for the next month, which I am, than have one now that doesn't work. Oh and apparently be the first person with the problem the tech people he/she spoke with has seen.

Zachster7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008

I'm a business owner who believes in a high level of customer service, I do have to say that I agree with you. The interactions I've had with Apple care on this are great, however the not knowing a turn around time does make me feel let down. Not a huge deal, but I think there is room for improvement for sure.

iluvgadgets

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2015
I thought mine had a problem too. It stayed on apple screen for a while, then finally started coming to life !! Hope you get your replacement really soon .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.