Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmoore

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2003
N.B. Texas
Is it possible to somehow cram another optical drive in the second bay of a Quicksilver model or other earlier G4 models? I know it is only supposed to support a zip drive, but is there some homegrown modification that can be made to make another optical drive fit into this smaller bay?

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
Re: Second bay options for Quicksilver?

Originally posted by jmoore
Is it possible to somehow cram another optical drive in the second bay of a Quicksilver model or other earlier G4 models? I know it is only supposed to support a zip drive, but is there some homegrown modification that can be made to make another optical drive fit into this smaller bay?

you can but it takes a lot fo work and only recomend it for proffesional modifiers.

Tyler

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
first i would test another drive by just plugging it in and seeing if the computer will recognize two drives...place a cd in the drive after you plug it in of course...but i assume it would considering the MDD...

second is to find a 5 1/2" harness to replace the 3"...probably the hardest part will be to find a way to get the outer casing door to flip down since it currently has no way of doing so

if you or anyone you know is going to do this or has, please post it as i would like to do it myself, but would like to know about success/failure

jmoore

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2003
N.B. Texas
I'm trying to decide whether I want a noisy MDD model (which I don't) or find a refurb Quicksilver and add the second drive. Does this sound crazy? As crazy as the noise coming out of those MDD's!!!!! My God!!!!!

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by jmoore
I'm trying to decide whether I want a noisy MDD model (which I don't) or find a refurb Quicksilver and add the second drive. Does this sound crazy? As crazy as the noise coming out of those MDD's!!!!! My God!!!!!

Buy a new MDD they are supposed to be whisper quiet. Maybe even quieter then teh Quicksilvers.

If you had to add a second drive the easiest and best way to do it is to get an external firewire drive. Plain and simple if performance matters you will want a new DDR machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.