Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Mar 17, 2006, 10:01 AM   #1
mcpix
macrumors regular

ibook g4 with external monitor

I was thinking of picking up a refurbished ibook g4.

I was wondering how well it worked with an external monitor without the monitor spanning hack. I'm not going to be playing any games, and I have a 17" CRT, so resolution is not a problem. I just want to know if it works okay or if it feels slow.
mcpix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 10:23 AM   #2
sreedy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to sreedy Send a message via Skype™ to sreedy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpix
I was thinking of picking up a refurbished ibook g4.

I was wondering how well it worked with an external monitor without the monitor spanning hack. I'm not going to be playing any games, and I have a 17" CRT, so resolution is not a problem. I just want to know if it works okay or if it feels slow.
It's not slow, it works great. BUT it is SO much BETTER with the spanning hack as you can change the resolution for a start! I do this an just use the ibook screen for Mail and have everything else on the external.

Do it! You'll love it!
Old Mar 17, 2006, 07:02 PM   #3
YS2003
macrumors 68020

I know the screen spanning hack has been discussed quite a few times on this and other Mac forums. I am still unclear why Apple made the current iBook's screen spanning function off even though you can turn it on via a hack. It's possible Apple arranged iBook in this way to differential it from the PowerBook line. But, that rationale does not make sense as it deliberately restricts iBook's performance (with this feature on, they could have sold iBook more without impacting PowerBook sales).
Old Mar 17, 2006, 07:42 PM   #4
findpankaj
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YS2003
I know the screen spanning hack has been discussed quite a few times on this and other Mac forums. I am still unclear why Apple made the current iBook's screen spanning function off even though you can turn it on via a hack. It's possible Apple arranged iBook in this way to differential it from the PowerBook line. But, that rationale does not make sense as it deliberately restricts iBook's performance (with this feature on, they could have sold iBook more without impacting PowerBook sales).

Worst ever apple strategy....foolish..
According to them, its an entry level laptop....

My cribs won't end
I switched to mac in Nov. Everything I liked about apple but this silly junky idea....
iPhone
findpankaj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 08:38 PM   #5
Chundles
macrumors G4

Why would you want to run a 17" CRT without the hack? All you can do is mirror your iBook's display so you be looking at the same thing twice - only in a low resolution on the CRT.

Get the hack, don't use clamshell mode and it's great. It's made my work a lot easier being able to run two independent displays.
Old Mar 17, 2006, 09:41 PM   #6
calebjohnston
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to calebjohnston Send a message via MSN to calebjohnston
Remember, the hack voids your warantee.
calebjohnston is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 09:58 PM   #7
Laser47
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by calebjohnston
Remember, the hack voids your warantee.
not if you remove the hack before sending it in for applecare or whatnot by resetting the PRAM.
Old Mar 18, 2006, 01:28 AM   #8
WillMak
macrumors 6502a

The hack is awesome. I have used it for 8 months with no problems at all.
WillMak is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs