Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gowanis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 22, 2007
I have been trying for a while now to get this to work. I'm aware that if your phone or Mac is in use, the watch is ignored. But even with the Mac and the iPhone dormant, there is no consistency to watch notifications. Sometimes they come through, sometimes they don't. Sometimes I just get the red dot but no tapping. This is really annoying.

Somnospeed

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2015
My Pebble watch was even worse when I got it. But the updates came and the problems went. The same will be true for this watch.
That doesn't prevent your post for being relevant today, but don't be surprised if it becomes irrelevant fairly soon.

yalag

Suspended
Nov 18, 2007
What's even more annoying is no way to mark an email or message as read from the notification screen when clearly you have read it.

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
What they are trying to pull off is hard. My fenix 3 does not always reliably forward notifications from email and iMessage. I chalk it up to the quirkiness of Bluetooth and wireless communication. However, this is Apple's platform, and the watch has been in development for a long time, and notifications are THE feature. Realistically, they should have spent the time making sure this was perfect instead of working on sending heartbeats and making gold cases.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
It's version 1 of a version 1 product that just came out 2 days ago
Was this same forgiveness for a new product given to Pebble, or android? It seems like they were abused by Apple fans for not working correctly from day one. All I ever heard was Apple waits to get it right the first time.

arminta7

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
Portland, OR
Messages have been working every time for me. I've been having a lot of problems with mail the last couple days, but that's on every device I have (mac laptop, iPad, 6+ and watch). They haven't been coming through for some reason, been very delayed. So maybe it's a mail issue and not a watch issue?

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Be patient guys, so far, these problems seem like they can be fixed with updates that surely will be coming soon. But yeah, I rather Apple not release stuff until it's ready.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
I turned off mail as I receive way to many and got sick of constant notifications. Every text has come through fine so far.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
As I get a lot of email I trimmed down the notifications by using VIPs. Now only mail tagged as from a VIP pops a notification on my phone and watch. Messages work fine too.

WJKramer

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Let's face it: E-mail and iMessage notifications simply do not work consiste...

For what it's worth; I had serious issues with notifications over the first day similar to what you described. I noticed that when I set my wife's watch up she was notified on all her devices that her iCloud account was activated on this new device. I realized I had not received such notification. I rebooted the phone and watch and immediately got the same notification and now all my notifications come through. Hope this helps.

twisted-pixel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
San Jose, CA
Was this same forgiveness for a new product given to Pebble, or android? It seems like they were abused by Apple fans for not working correctly from day one. All I ever heard was Apple waits to get it right the first time.

yup...while still waiting for my watch, I'm reading about all the issues it has...which pebble had and everyone said "oh the apple watch wont suffer from any of that...apple knows how to get things right"

It's a v1 product but the reading through the forum suggests there are numerous problems

beldenben

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2011
It's a v1 product but the reading through the forum suggests there are numerous problems

Of course reading through the forums suggests there are numerous problems, the vast majority of people happily enjoying their watch aren't rushing to the forums to start a thread called "Just Got My Watch And Everything Is Super" (although I have seen some threads like that). And the people who are having problems can be broken up even further into groups like people having legitimate problems due to bugs, people having legitimate problems because they don't know what they are doing, people having problems that don't actually exist because they thought the watch was going to do something that it didn't, people who don't even have a watch yet and want to whine about it, and trolls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.