Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

username:

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
I wish it was cellular. Does anybody know much about this? Will apple make a cellular MacBook? Why or why not?

saback

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2011
Don' t think so, they want you to use your iPhone/iPad as modem, but it's not a big deal, just buy a 4G WiFi modem with 8 hours battery and you are good! ;)

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
I wish it was cellular. Does anybody know much about this? Will apple make a cellular MacBook? Why or why not?

Lots of reasons why they don't - everything from not having to pay licensing fees to use the cellular chip, to avoiding the complication of having to deal with cellular providers, to not having to fit a sim card slot in somewhere. These are the same reasons you don't see this "feature" from any other manufacturers, or only very rarely in niche products.

They won't ever, in all probability, release a cellular capable laptop model.

The easiest solution is to pair to your phone, and use its cellular capability instead. You don't have to go out and get another data contract, and you don't have to take your phone out of your pocket even after you've set it up once.

username:

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
So why then is the iPad cellular? that can be paired to an iPhone as well, yet we have a cellular option?

I think people like the convenience of an always connected device. I would find a cellular laptop useful. Am I the only one?

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
So why then is the iPad cellular? that can be paired to an iPhone as well, yet we have a cellular option?

I think people like the convenience of an always connected device. I would find a cellular laptop useful. Am I the only one?

It's obvious why the iPad is cellular. But although many of us want a cellular connected Mac, it'll never happen.

username:

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
It's obvious why the iPad is cellular. But although many of us want a cellular connected Mac, it'll never happen.

Sorry, it is not obvious to me why the iPad should be cellular and the MacBook should not be cellular. What is it that I am missing?

----------

I have mobile broadband modems already, but they are an extra thing to carry around. With a cellular iPad I do not need a MiFi device, however I cannot do all the things I need to do on an iPad and I prefer a bigger screen to work on.

In this regard, a cellular retina MacBook would be perfect.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Using your iPhone as a hotspot is so easy and seamless now what would be the point?

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
why do we have a cellular iPad then?

Because an iPad is an iOS device that is sold in a similar way as iPhones, used in similar ways, and in similar places, has a similar form factor, and has similar use cases.

The MB is a laptop, and regardless of how thin and light it is, given the OS and form factor, it is still going to be used primarily in similar ways and similar places as other laptops, with similar use cases.

I don't disagree with you, per say, I do think there are lots of people who would like to see a cellular laptop from Apple, but I just don't see it happening. IMHO I just don't want to have to deal with another cellular contract, especially when simply pairing up with my phone (or iPad) when I really want to, is just as easy.

doobry

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2010
Not if you have unlimited data with AT&T…can't use iPhone as a hotspot.

Not sure they can stop you now can they? Since iOS7, tethering doesn't use a specific APN so it isn't possible to tell the difference anymore..

Add me to the list wanting a 4G MacBook! every work laptop i've ever had has had a WWAN chip aboard. Dell, Lenovo etc all have it as an option on their enterprise laptops.. Quite surprised Apple don't do this..! They could include the licence costs in a more expensive pricetag for the unit.

As from them wanting you to use your iphone/iPad as a hotspot, battery life is a big issue for them, why make it worse by forcing people to use more batterylife to tether..

Also remember, only certain types of 3G and very few 4G networks allow simultaneous voice and data so you will either miss calls or when you make/take one the data link will fall over. this adds weight to the MiFi idea but i don't really want to carry many more things than I have to.. Also, how many devices can bluetooth support simultaneously anyway? With the Watch, a headset and/or fitbit etc, lots happening on the bluetooth side of a phone these days without needing to use it as a modem.

username:

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 16, 2013
Add me to the list wanting a 4G MacBook! every work laptop i've ever had has had a WWAN chip aboard. Dell, Lenovo etc all have it as an option on their enterprise laptops.. Quite surprised Apple don't do this..! They could include the licence costs in a more expensive pricetag for the unit.

Glad I'm not the only one.

One of the main reasons I find an iPad so convenient and handy is because it is always on and always connected no matter where I am, without me having to do anything. When I pick up the iPad for example I know all of my emails will be there waiting for me, rather than me connecting to a hotspot and me waiting for them to load into my inbox. I think I would love this same convenience with the new MacBook.

If the cellular surface 3 ran OS X I would be all over it. I will never go back to windows though.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Because an iPad is an iOS device that is sold in a similar way as iPhones, used in similar ways, and in similar places, has a similar form factor, and has similar use cases.

The MB is a laptop, and regardless of how thin and light it is, given the OS and form factor, it is still going to be used primarily in similar ways and similar places as other laptops, with similar use cases.

I don't disagree with you, per say, I do think there are lots of people who would like to see a cellular laptop from Apple, but I just don't see it happening. IMHO I just don't want to have to deal with another cellular contract, especially when simply pairing up with my phone (or iPad) when I really want to, is just as easy.

What? I don't get the argument you're trying to make as to why an iPad should have one and a laptop shouldn't.

Having to connect to hotspot means using your phones battery up faster.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I would buy an MacBook or MacBook Pro with a BTO Air Card every time. I am a realist though and realize that Apple will never do so leaving me to tether to one of my iPhones.

In my backpack I also carry around a Latitude E7420 with a BTO Air Card that comes in very handy not having to tether.

iRun26.2

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
I don't want 4G because I don't want the computer to be bigger to carry that option.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
What? I don't get the argument you're trying to make as to why an iPad should have one and a laptop shouldn't.

It makes perfect sense. How is it hard to see that? The iPad was designed from day one to have that option, and it's actually part of its identity. Laptops, not so much. People are far more likely to pull out their iPad in these situations than they are their laptop.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
You don't necessarily need the internet on a laptop. They aren't a window to the internet like iPads are. Most people buy them so they can do writing, work on video, audio, photos, and whatever.

And when you do need to connect to the internet, it's most likely having to be within the local network via wifi/ethernet at a school or company, where you upload and download files from a server.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden

In all honesty, I am not sure about the argument I am making either! :eek: :p

I read several times in the past in various about there being particular difficulties with licensing in the traditional PC/Laptop form factor (don't ask me why) that didn't apply to phone and modern tablets for some reason.

This apparently makes its really unattractive to include SIM cards in them. Sorry I can't elaborate more, I know it isn't satisfactory. Maybe something can be found on an Internet search, "Why don't laptops have SIM cards?"

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
It makes perfect sense. How is it hard to see that? The iPad was designed from day one to have that option, and it's actually part of its identity. Laptops, not so much. People are far more likely to pull out their iPad in these situations than they are their laptop.

The rMB is being billed as an ultraportable. Why wouldn't you want it to have independent data connectivity?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.