Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GRANTCKING

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2013
so I lost my iphone 5c whilst out drunk, first phone ive ever lost, gutted, was in perfect condition and working order, didnt have any insurance on it so have to buy a new phone myself, thinking about getting a 2nd hand iphone 5s off ebay instead of going for a new 6 as its pretty much half price, how long do you think this model will be supported in terms of updates? I have no other phone so really need to get something asap

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Well, the iPhone 4s is still getting updates right now and it shipped with iOS 5.
The iPhone 5s shipped with iOS 7, so it's gotten iOS 8, and I'd expect it to get 9 and 10 at least. So you should be good for a few more years as far as iOS updates go.

Also, a phone doesn't stop working when it quits getting updates. There seem to be a number of users out there who think their device is instantly obsolete or unusable or something once a new version of iOS comes out that doesn't support it :rolleyes:

I'd give a used 5s a go.

And as far as "support" goes: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201624

The only iPhone not currently supported by Apple is the original from 2007. You should expect 5 years of support as far as Apple is concerned for service and parts.

TWD98j

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2010
Sorry to hear about your loss of your 5C.

But yeah, the 5s is still a great phone and should have AT LEAST 2 more years worth of updates to it. It will be good to go for iOS 9 this year and should be for iOS 10 next year. If it's any comparison, the 4S shipped in 2011 with iOS 5 and is still supported with iOS updates today, even though Apple quit selling it last fall.

The 5s is actually one of Apple's most future proof phones IMO. It's a soon-to-be 2 year old device and does pretty much everything that the current 6 lineup does. You don't get the bigger screen, you don't get Apple Pay, and for some reason you don't get VoLTE either.

Other than that, it still has 64 bit architecture, Touch ID, etc and can pretty much match same performance levels as the 6 series phones.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
so I lost my iphone 5c whilst out drunk, first phone ive ever lost, gutted, was in perfect condition and working order, didnt have any insurance on it so have to buy a new phone myself, thinking about getting a 2nd hand iphone 5s off ebay instead of going for a new 6 as its pretty much half price, how long do you think this model will be supported in terms of updates? I have no other phone so really need to get something asap

I bet it's wedge somewhere in your car (with designated driver of course :D) or in your friends car. It usually is, unless you went out drunk alone. I can't believe you didn't hear it fall out or drop.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
iPhones go like this:
Year 1 - new
Year 2 - $100 off (meaning $100 on contract price)
Year 3 - $200 off (free on contract)
Year 4 - no longer sold but receives the new iOS update
Year 5 - no longer receives iOS updates.

iPhone 5s was new in 2013 with iOS 7. So the first version of iOS it should fail to run is iOS 11, in fall 2017. All assuming previous patterns hold, of course.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
64-bits ... roughly the same computational power of iPhone 6 ... It will be supported for a while.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Supported at least until iOS 11, possibly iOS 12 (which means at least until August 2018, possibly August 2019), but "useable" is another story. That depends on each person's tolerance ;)

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It's possible that Apple will continue their trend of giving the S models an extra year of life as they did with the 3Gs and 4S. Both got more than the standard life span of their preceding non-S models. If this is the case, the 5S will be able to run iOS 12, but will be dropped with iOS 13.

Quadrennial

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2016
Sorry to hear about your loss of your 5C.

But yeah, the 5s is still a great phone and should have AT LEAST 2 more years worth of updates to it. It will be good to go for iOS 9 this year and should be for iOS 10 next year. If it's any comparison, the 4S shipped in 2011 with iOS 5 and is still supported with iOS updates today, even though Apple quit selling it last fall.

The 5s is actually one of Apple's most future proof phones IMO. It's a soon-to-be 2 year old device and does pretty much everything that the current 6 lineup does. You don't get the bigger screen, you don't get Apple Pay, and for some reason you don't get VoLTE either.

Other than that, it still has 64 bit architecture, Touch ID, etc and can pretty much match same performance levels as the 6 series phones.
I think it will go to 11 or 12 maybe .. The 5 should drop after iOS 10. The 5s handles it perfectly.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
The iPhone 4s lasted up iOS9 (2015) with only 512 MB RAM. The iPad 2 is still being supported for iOS10.

I agree with the first reply. Maybe up to 2018 for iPhone 5 and 2019 for 5s. Don't expect anymore updates after seven years so the 5s will likely be stuck no higher than iOS13. Even if you could update to iOS13, would you want to after likely becoming laggy by that point? Of course, you also won't have a choice with minimum firmware needed to use certain apps.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
It's basically the same as a 6. So, I'd say it should be supported by Apple for as long as the 6 series. But Apple has been known to abandon support by model rather than capabilities at times. So could go either way.

visberry

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2016
New Zealand
iPhones go like this:
Year 1 - new
Year 2 - $100 off (meaning $100 on contract price)
Year 3 - $200 off (free on contract)
Year 4 - no longer sold but receives the new iOS update
Year 5 - no longer receives iOS updates.

iPhone 5s was new in 2013 with iOS 7. So the first version of iOS it should fail to run is iOS 11, in fall 2017. All assuming previous patterns hold, of course.

In my country we still have the iPhone 5s on all carriers. Our product line in New Zealand is iPhone 5s, iPhone SE, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus
https://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/...bsilver-iphone-5s-16gb-silver/prod126624.html

They are relativly still up-tp-date

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017
It's basically the same as a 6. So, I'd say it should be supported by Apple for as long as the 6 series. But Apple has been known to abandon support by model rather than capabilities at times. So could go either way.
I wonder if they will still make an iPhone SE 2(Second Generation) 4 inch with the design of iPhone 6/6S?? That will be wonderful. Cuz i have an iPhone SE but.. My friends thought it was an iPhone 5.. The worst thing that happen they thought i'm using iPhone 4 hahaha because it is very similar to 5/5S and is so 2012..

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
I wonder if they will still make an iPhone SE 2(Second Generation) 4 inch with the design of iPhone 6/6S?? That will be wonderful. Cuz i have an iPhone SE but.. My friends thought it was an iPhone 5.. The worst thing that happen they thought i'm using iPhone 4 hahaha because it is very similar to 5/5S and is so 2012..

One advantage is that there's an abundance of cases and accessories for the iPhone 5 form factor. And... nobody looks twice at it. I prefer that people don't want what I have. Less to worry about.

Reactions: Vivian125

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
iOS 11 or iOS 12 will be the last for iPhone 5s. And almost certainly for iPhone 6, iPad Air and iPad Mini 3 as well.

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017
iOS 11 or iOS 12 will be the last for iPhone 5s. And almost certainly for iPhone 6, iPad Air and iPad Mini 3 as well.
I don't think iPhone 6 and iPhone 5s will go together just like what happened in iOS 6. Both iPod Touch 4th Gen and iPhone 3GS clocked at 600Mhz managed to get iOS 6. While iPad 1 can only support iOS 5 even it has 1.0 Ghz.

I always think that iOS 11 is the last update for iPhone 6 since it is still 1GB Ram just like the iPhone 5, and has bigger screen than the 5/5S. More strain to hardware.. But iPhone 5S will get iOS 12 since it has smaller screen and less effort to put strain on it's hardware. (100MHZ difference is nothing if other has bigger screen)

So in the end iPhone 5S will support iOS 12, while iPhone 6/6 Plus will only get iOS 11
[doublepost=1498552259][/doublepost]
And also, she is asking how long will iPhone 5S will be supported, you should use your COMMON SENSE. Nobody's asking how long the iPad Mini 3 will be supported.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Since its 64bit, as long as 1GB RAM will be enough for running iOS, although im guessing iOS 12 will be the last version for both 5s & 6\6 Plus.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
I don't think iPhone 6 and iPhone 5s will go together just like what happened in iOS 6. Both iPod Touch 4th Gen and iPhone 3GS clocked at 600Mhz managed to get iOS 6. While iPad 1 can only support iOS 5 even it has 1.0 Ghz.

I always think that iOS 11 is the last update for iPhone 6 since it is still 1GB Ram just like the iPhone 5, and has bigger screen than the 5/5S. More strain to hardware.. But iPhone 5S will get iOS 12 since it has smaller screen and less effort to put strain on it's hardware. (100MHZ difference is nothing if other has bigger screen)

So in the end iPhone 5S will support iOS 12, while iPhone 6/6 Plus will only get iOS 11
[doublepost=1498552259][/doublepost]
And also, she is asking how long will iPhone 5S will be supported, you should use your COMMON SENSE. Nobody's asking how long the iPad Mini 3 will be supported.

You don't haven't any understanding of how Apple supports their devices.

You say the 5s will get ios12 while the 6/+ won't?

What are you smoking?

Math889

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2016
IMO, Iphone 5S will problably be compatible with iOS 12. But, it will be very slow . It is already slow on iOS 11. I don’t expect it to be faster on subsequent updates. I think the 5S will be supported next year. But, it will be the last update.
Heck , I cant even imagine an iPhone 6 running iOS 13. But, hey , it’s Apple!!!
IOS 13 will be the last iOS version for iPhone 6 , Air 2 will live longer than IPhone 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.