Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timcrook

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2015
This is not really a Macbook review. There are so many of those as it is at this point, so I don't see a need to post geek bench scores, take pictures of what it looks like etc, but I just wanted to share my feelings about this computer.

I was originally skeptical of getting the new macbook. The price is high and the specs are low. Reading a lot of the negative comments about lagging performance did not help the cause, but on friday I walked into Best Buy and they had a 1.1/256 space gray unit in stock and I pulled the trigger.

I am absolutely in love with this machine! Using the new macbook is just a pleasure whether it's looking at the gorgeous screen, using the trackpad, typing on the new keyboard or simply closing the lid and admiring how thin and light this thing is.

Now I'm not a power PC user. Not in a sense that I don't know anything about computers, but in a sense that my usage is fairly light. Browse the net/facebook, watch some videos and MS Office work is all I need with some rare Photoshop thrown in.

While I haven't had a chance to use Photoshop yet, I have spent a lot of my sunday working in powerpoint while having a bunch of safari tabs open and there have been no performance issues to report whatsoever. The macbook has handled everything I threw at it with ease and I am completely in love with it.

The only problem now is I don't know what to do with the iPad.. it's an expensive coaster..

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
with 6 Plus and rMB, rMini gets a lot less use.

Still I wouldn't trade it up, would be practically giving it away with resell value.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
That video is totally irrelevant. Even my 15" rMBP has minor UI lags when swithcing the desktop.

As far as I'm aware the rMB is as smooth as every Retina display Mac available during common tasks line opening apps, browsing the web and watching videos.

I do sometimes get UI lag using my late 2013 13" rMBP but not like this and usually not as easily reproducible like that.

Skylitfly

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2014
I do sometimes get UI lag using my late 2013 13" rMBP but not like this and usually not as easily reproducible like that.

True, it's not as noticeable or easily reproducable on rMBP. But people have to realize that this thing basically runs on a CPU just slightly more powerful than iPad Air 2's A8X.

In my opinion rMB is truly awesome machine and the 2nd gen (which I'm getting :D ) will be even more magical.

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
Thanks for posting this. I was going to make a thread asking what it's like to have one and if it's better than the iPad. Of course it is! :p

I was going back and forth on wanting an iPad, hooking it up to a case with a keyboard or getting this to bring with me to class.

After reading this, think I may pick one up. Still deciding though! :eek:

HardBall

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
Thanks for posting this. I was going to make a thread asking what it's like to have one and if it's better than the iPad. Of course it is! :p

I was going back and forth on wanting an iPad, hooking it up to a case with a keyboard or getting this to bring with me to class.

After reading this, think I may pick one up. Still deciding though! :eek:

Yes, thanks to the OP for post this thread!

I'm just one step closer to getting this machine now.

Maclee2010

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2010
Louisville, KY
This is not really a Macbook review. There are so many of those as it is at this point, so I don't see a need to post geek bench scores, take pictures of what it looks like etc, but I just wanted to share my feelings about this computer.

I was originally skeptical of getting the new macbook. The price is high and the specs are low. Reading a lot of the negative comments about lagging performance did not help the cause, but on friday I walked into Best Buy and they had a 1.1/256 space gray unit in stock and I pulled the trigger.

I am absolutely in love with this machine! Using the new macbook is just a pleasure whether it's looking at the gorgeous screen, using the trackpad, typing on the new keyboard or simply closing the lid and admiring how thin and light this thing is.

Now I'm not a power PC user. Not in a sense that I don't know anything about computers, but in a sense that my usage is fairly light. Browse the net/facebook, watch some videos and MS Office work is all I need with some rare Photoshop thrown in.

While I haven't had a chance to use Photoshop yet, I have spent a lot of my sunday working in powerpoint while having a bunch of safari tabs open and there have been no performance issues to report whatsoever. The macbook has handled everything I threw at it with ease and I am completely in love with it.

The only problem now is I don't know what to do with the iPad.. it's an expensive coaster..

It's a great little notebook. I love mine as well and I been using it for over 10 days and the fun has not worn off yet. I can stay on this thing 18 + hours a day easy. It's just great to use and smooth...I have no UI lag that is any different than any other retina mac I have used. Not sure why I see so many complaints on that issue, but suspect a PEBCAK (problem exists between the chair and keyboard) error as we call it in IT...

Use it in good health!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.