Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple-Pay-Discover-250x207.png
Discover announced on Monday that it will enable Apple Pay support for credit and debit cardholders at eligible financial institutions in the United States this fall. Discover will also support in-app purchases made using Apple Pay on compatible iPhones, iPads and Apple Watch.

Discover customers with an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, or iPhone 5 or newer paired with an Apple Watch will be able to add their credit and debit cards to the mobile payments service to make contactless payments at thousands of participating retailers and vendors throughout the United States. Discover cardholders will continue to receive current benefits, including Cashback Bonus and Freeze It security.
"As the mobile payments landscape matures, Discover remains committed to giving cardmembers secure options for using their cards and mobile devices," said Diane Offereins, Discover's president of payment services. "Discover's focus on simplicity and value for our cardmembers aligns well with the way Apple Pay makes purchases easy and convenient."
Apple Pay became available last October in the United States with support from several major credit card companies, including Visa, MasterCard and American Express, and it was reported last December that the mobile payments service supports cards that make up over 90% of purchase volume in the United States. With the addition of Discover, that figure will rise even further.

Article Link: Discover Announces Apple Pay Support Beginning This Fall

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Fantastic. Apple's current services strategy seems to have drifted away from 'lots of work and a big reveal' (which works well with hardware) and moved to 'work, update, work, update'. Look at Maps and Siri. Not a word on those at keynotes yet continual improvements and looks like Apple Pay is the same. :)

ScottHammet

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
I wonder how big the Discover market is these days. I worked bars and restaurants in the 80s and 90s in a tourist town, when the card was in its heyday, and it was only rarely used then.

EDIT: Since a picture of AMEX is being used for this article, I suppose the lack of a stock photo for a Discover card might be a good indicator. Couldn't even Shop one in.

mrboba1

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I think Discover is quite large. I can use mine anywhere I go, and I see quite a few people with them.

I had actually just sent a message on Friday about ApplePay support being necessary to keep me as a customer - so I guess I have my answer ;-)

Reactions: valleian

Nick A

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
Fantastic. Apple's current services strategy seems to have drifted away from 'lots of work and a big reveal' (which works well with hardware) and moved to 'work, update, work, update'. Look at Maps and Siri. Not a word on those at keynotes yet continual improvements and looks like Apple Pay is the same. :)

While I would agree, it almost seems like Apple has forgotten about Siri. Google Now is leaps and bounds ahead of Siri in many ways at the current time.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Still waiting for Pay to come to Target and my local grocery store. Oh and it would be nice if Panera had NFC at all their registers. The last two times I was there I couldn't pay using Pay because the register I was at didn't support it. In fact I had to hand my card to the cashier so they could swipe it. Apple shoul use whatever influence it has with Panera to improve that experience.

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
Kind of bummed that it's taking this long. Discover has become my go to card because their rewards are great for the products/services I buy. I even contemplated about getting rid of my AMEX since Discover has similar warranty/return programs.

Q-Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
Good. We use Discover all the time. Now I just need a small phone that supports apple pays.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
In related news, Discover sees a 500% increase in cardholders when 2 iPhone owners filled out the online application this morning...

Little Endian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2003
Honolulu
Meh... Never used a Discover card, rarely ever see them and personally Do not know anyone who has one. I often fancied the idea of getting a discover card but could never justify it. I have other cards issued from various banks under Visa, MasterCard, and Amex. Discover has never really been able to outdo my other cards in benefits or purpose.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Meh... Never used a Discover card, rarely ever see them and personally Do not know anyone who has one. I often fancied the idea of getting a discover card but could never justify it. I have other cards issued from various banks under Visa, MasterCard, and Amex. Discover has never really been able to outdo my other cards in benefits or purpose.

I love the 5% cashback and all the discounts through shopdiscover.com (Discover Deals).

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Still waiting for Pay to come to Target and my local grocery store. Oh and it would be nice if Panera had NFC at all their registers. The last two times I was there I couldn't pay using Pay because the register I was at didn't support it. In fact I had to hand my card to the cashier so they could swipe it. Apple shoul use whatever influence it has with Panera to improve that experience.

Pay and NFC Phone payment support at Panera totally sucks. The one Panera where I regularly go has only one register with Pay, and that one is somewhere in the corner and usually not staffed. In the beginning when I asked for Pay they started explaining to me that it it impossible to pay with a phone and that I need either cash or a credit card. They even went the extra mile and showed me where the credit card slot is and showed how they have to slide it through and that they can't do that with a phone (they treated me like an idiot). In the many many times I go there, I was only able to pay twice with Pay - and both times the cashier stared at disbelieve at me, called over the colleagues to ask for advice and than they tried talking me into that I have now to show also my credit card and that they still need to swipe it. This is especially disappointing since Panera is a launch partner.

Apple really needs to educate their launch partners and new partners (and those partners need to educate their cashiers). Also it is not acceptable to be a launch parter and have that device turned off in the corner.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
While I would agree, it almost seems like Apple has forgotten about Siri. Google Now is leaps and bounds ahead of Siri in many ways at the current time.

When the 4S came out I remember people using Siri to ask it dumb questions and see what kind of smart-aleck or cutesy response they'd get. Unfortunately Apple doesn't help matters as they continue to focus on the witty side of Siri. That would be fine if we were seeing huge improvements in other ways buy we're not really which is a shame.

alfonsog

Contributor
Jul 17, 2002
Cape Coral, FL
I wonder how big the Discover market is these days. I worked bars and restaurants in the 80s and 90s in a tourist town, when the card was in its heyday, and it was only rarely used then.

EDIT: Since a picture of AMEX is being used for this article, I suppose the lack of a stock photo for a Discover card might be a good indicator. Couldn't even Shop one in.

I own a restaurant in a touristy area and its rare to get Discover cards at all, its about 2% of cards if even. Amex is about 8% with Visa getting about 70% and MC 20%. I don't think I've ever seen more than 5 Discover transactions a night in the past 10 years. We started taking credit cards in 2000.

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada

I have granted your wish.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.