Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orph

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
UK
Hi,
Iv seen an advert for a macpro 5.1 2.8ghz quad (i gess) with a apple display but the macpro's case is damaged, back leg has been deformed

$_86.JPG

Is it worth even thinking about buying a macpro with such a damaged case & should i ask how the macpro was damged?

what kind of price is it worth, it got an asking price of £450 (UK)

all advice welcome

ps Im using a macpro 3.1 2.8ghz 8 core is a 5.1 single 2.8ghz a big speed up or worth waiting for a higher core count macpro?

(i can link to the advert if it helps)

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Is there any way you can check it out before money changes hands?

Cosmetic damage is one thing, but damage like that looks like the machine was dropped, which means other problems could be lurking.

I'd insist on a steep discount, and being able to check the system out fully before buying.

orph

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
UK
Iv not been in contact with the seller yet, it's on gumtree and I can travel to the location so ruining a system test on it should be ok I assume

mw360

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2010
Iv not been in contact with the seller yet, it's on gumtree and I can travel to the location so ruining a system test on it should be ok I assume

If it was just dropped yesterday it may take time for the damage to become apparent. Even the journey home could finish it off. I'd avoid it.

orph

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
UK
thanks mw360, one thing about buying one that damaged is it make me nervous about selling my old macpro 3.1 in case it brakes.

jjhoekstra

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2009
I own/have owned two of those and my brother and me refurbish old MacPro's to earn a bit of pocket money. Based on experience, and seeing the deformation my guess is that it dropped pretty hard as the Pro-cases are very sturdy. So the chance for internal damage is very real. I would wait for another one popping up in the adverts.

thats all folks

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2013
Austin (supposedly in Texas)
It's probably fine. And while I can't speak to UK prices specifically, the asking does seem well discounted. you can always offer less.
I've seen this plenty and have several bent machines in service at the office. they all work fine. I did test them before accepting but none have failed.

I've also had personally a 1,1 damaged many years ago that was my primary home machine for years. I still have it and it still works, it's just time for something more.

If the damage doesn't block access to the inside, and you are okay with a wobbly machine. then this is a chance at a real bargain.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
£450 (UK) seems not a bad deal if just the leg is damaged. And be aware that damage to the case like that may cause strange noise when the machine is running (e.g. metal oscillation sound).

rx7dude

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2011
Toronto
I bought a Powermac 5 years ago with the same type of damage.
Now 10 years old, still runs like a champ.
Those case are tough.
Keep in mind though the resell will suck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.