Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jan 30, 2003, 09:44 AM   #1
pcuserx
macrumors member

Airport Question

Is an airport card enough to wirelessly contact a printer? Or do you need to hook the printer up to a base station?
pcuserx is offline   0
Old Jan 30, 2003, 10:03 AM   #2
buffsldr
macrumors 6502a

You need more than an airport card to hook up to a printer. Because the printer is not capable of sending/receiving wireless communication it will need to have a wire connected to it. This wire can come from a computer or a base station. For example, I have 2 macs, a tower and a laptop. I connect the tower to the printer with a wire. I connect the laptop to the tower using 2 airport cards. Now I can print from the laptop.
buffsldr is offline   0
Old Jan 30, 2003, 10:04 AM   #3
robbieduncan

Unless you have a special wireless (802.11) printer (and I'm not even sure these exist) you would need to attach the printer to the base station. Only the newest AirPort Extreme base stations support this (and then only for certain USB printers). The easiest solution if you have an unsoported printer, or an older base station would be a print server (a small box to connect the printer to the network) and a wireless adaptor if required.
robbieduncan is offline   0
Old Jan 30, 2003, 10:56 AM   #4
Rower_CPU
Moderator emeritus

Some printers allows you to hook up an 802.11b receiver/transmitter directly to the USB port, too.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/h...BA&cat_level=2

They're pricy, though...

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers