Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThomasM

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
what is the screwdriver size required ? tiny tiny tiny tiny screws. i managed to get two out of 3 out, then my screwdriver was ruined.

smokeyboi

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2006
err....those screws were such a pain to remove...for me anyway!

I had to go out and buy the smallest phillips screwdriver and I had such a hard time taking the screws out. they were literally glued on making it almost impossible to remove! grrrr:mad: anyway, i managed to take out 2 out of the 3 screws and haven't been able to remove the last one yet cause the screw is almost worn out from me trying to unscrew it!

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
smokeyboi said:

I had to go out and buy the smallest phillips screwdriver and I had such a hard time taking the screws out. they were literally glued on making it almost impossible to remove! grrrr:mad: anyway, i managed to take out 2 out of the 3 screws and haven't been able to remove the last one yet cause the screw is almost worn out from me trying to unscrew it!

Don't strip that screw, or you'll be in trouble. Go to an apple store and see if they can get it out.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
smokeyboi said:

Sounds like you're using the wrong size screwdriver. My powerbook also required a tiny screwdriver. I just went to my local hardware store and got the exact size it tells you to use in the manual. They were all a piece of cake to get out. If you use something bigger (or improvise) you're ruin the screw, which'll make life extremely difficult as the screw will need to be removed professionally. :eek:

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
I find that screw drivers made for eye glasses works the best for the ram cover. That was the only screwdriver I had that would fit. Then I had the problem if not having enough torque to turn the screws. I ended up turning the screwdriver with a pair of pliers.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
I bought a kit from staples and it works great, I don't remember the name, but it comes with all different computer screwdrivers in a black case....I would check it out if you still are trying to find something that works.

smokeyboi

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2006
the thing is though, the screw is worn out from me trying to remove it!

so what can I do???:confused:

I can't even upgrade the ram! :confused: :confused: :confused: :( :(

please help me out

smokeyboi

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2006
iphil said:
Take the laptop to an apple genius they'll try to replace the worn-out screw

i'm in canada and there's no apple store near me:(

anyone else have any idea on what I can do?

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Make sure you get good quality screws because

A) If they are brittle, they will not hook onto the screw properly and slip, resulting in you scratching your new MacBook Pro.

B) Cheap screwdrivers easily strip your screws

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.