Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oxband

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
I made a film that I've been screening at some colleges. I notice that on some DVD players the film is kind of choppy, that it stops for what must be a fraction of a second...but it does it regularly so that someone walking is walking kind of stilted. This drives me crazy.

What causes that? Anything I can do about it? It plays fine on mine. I'm using Toast Titanium.

Thanks in advance!

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
Media quality and/or burn speed sound like the culprit here.

If you are burning a 'master' disc that will be played in a variety of players, you should burn it at the slowest speed your drive will support, this is especially true if you are using cheap/offbrand blank media.

Other things to check: make sure before you burn the disc that it is free of dust and fingerprints.

Also, try to use DVD-R discs instead of DVD+R. There is mostly no difference, but older DVD players tend to like DVD-R over DVD+R.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Try better quality DVD blanks, Verbatim Data Life Plus has been good for me.

If that and burning slower doesn't work well enough, try using a portable DVD burner to burn the disk, these are like $25 and plug into a USB port.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Don't max out the video bit rate on the DVD, that can cause some players to choke on it. Keep it at 8 or lower and see if the problem goes away.

DemonMF777

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2014
S. Florida
I'll second the tips on keeping down the data rate you're burning to disk, sometimes the lower burn speed can help. I always use DVD-R, but I have come across systems that don't like those disks, but will work with a DVD+R so it may help to have both versions just in case. I would also suggest a USB flash drive with an mp4 file on it, as many newer players can also use these files as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.