Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
I was looking at my verizon 64gb CDMA gs6 and noticed it has a qualcomm 4g lte sticker on it! Well after doing some research my phone is not using the samsung Shannon modem but a Qualcomm MDM9635 modem in it!

That is why I'm getting 5-6 hours of onscreen time while staying on lte!

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I was looking at my verizon 64gb CDMA gs6 and noticed it has a qualcomm 4g lte sticker on it! Well after doing some research my phone is not using the samsung Shannon modem but a Qualcomm MDM9635 modem in it!

My Verizon S6 has the same Qualcom modem. I get about 5 hours SOT. You may be onto something!

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I am set to get almost 5 hours SOT today.

4f5852dd29a4f946937fe0026517042f.jpg

736cfa4ab1b904f26341f32a15414bb9.jpg

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
What does this mean? That those are stronger radios or something?

What's the T-Mobile version have?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
What does this mean? That those are stronger radios or something?

What's the T-Mobile version have?
What it means is that those of us with the samsung modem are likely screwed. It means the difference is hardware and therefore not fixable via a software update or anything we as user's can do.

Interesting side note... funny that most reviews & benchmarks we're done using the Verizon edition even for those that use GSM (remember Verizon edition is GSM unlocked). A cunning way to manipulate reviews & benchmarks into getting better SOT and battery results ? Or merely a coincidence that these reviewers all go the Verizon edition? (In business - there are no coincidences).

Last edited:

Wankie

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2003
Interesting side note... funny that most reviews & benchmarks we're done using the Verizon edition even for those that use GSM (remember Verizon edition is GSM unlocked). A cunning way to manipulate reviews & benchmarks into getting better SOT and battery results ? Or merely a coincidence that these reviewers all go the Verizon edition? (In business - there are no coincidences).

Uh no. Almost all US publicly tested versions were the T-mobile Shannon modem variant, with a very small and I do mean small AT&T and Sprint variants to people who specifically requested them. Verizon variants were basically not tested by reviewers. Only Ron Amadeo of ArsTechnica got a Qualcomm Sprint variant because he is a Sprint customer. Everyone else The Verge, PC Mag, Cnet, BGR, MKBHD, Gizmodo, WSJ, Engadget got the T-mobile variant. You can easily tell because the T-mobile and Sprint variants lack carrier logos while the Verizon version has a massive Verizon 4G logo on back and the AT&T has the globe logo and the carrier is always shown on screen caps of the Notification panel.

The Qualcomm modem used in the Verizon, Sprint and US Cellular variants, has much better battery life in very low signal situations which plague the T-mobile's network lack of low band spectrum but not AT&T. In normal signal quality there isn't much difference. The main reason almost every reviewer bitches about the S6's battery life is the Shannon modem plus T-Mobile's crappy network equals weak standby battery life. The Sprint variant is the best because it has an unlocked bootloader, no carrier logo, the Qualcomm modem and is fully sim unlockable.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Uh no. Almost all US publicly tested versions were the T-mobile Shannon modem variant, with a very small and I do mean small AT&T and Sprint variants to people who specifically requested them. Verizon variants were basically not tested by reviewers. Only Ron Amadeo of ArsTechnica got a Qualcomm Sprint variant because he is a Sprint customer. Everyone else The Verge, PC Mag, Cnet, BGR, MKBHD, Gizmodo, WSJ, Engadget got the T-mobile variant. You can easily tell because the T-mobile and Sprint variants lack carrier logos while the Verizon version has a massive Verizon 4G logo on back and the AT&T has the globe logo and the carrier is always shown on screen caps of the Notification panel.

The Qualcomm modem used in the Verizon, Sprint and US Cellular variants, has much better battery life in very low signal situations which plague the T-mobile's network lack of low band spectrum but not AT&T. In normal signal quality there isn't much difference. The main reason almost every reviewer bitches about the S6's battery life is the Shannon modem plus T-Mobile's crappy network equals weak standby battery life. The Sprint variant is the best because it has an unlocked bootloader, no carrier logo, the Qualcomm modem and is fully sim unlockable.
Thanks for the info :) a good read.

PS your username is very risqué

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Would you happen to know if the sprint variant is fully compatible with att? It does seem like the model to buy. What about T-Mobile compatibility for that matter too?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Um that sucks for T-Mobile users.
Yeah.......most if not all the reviews were on TMO phones as they were they first ones shipping the phones.
I still get high cell standby times though even when at home on wifi.

----------

Hmmmmmm can you use a Sprint S6 on Verizon if you unlock it?

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Yeah.......most if not all the reviews were on TMO phones as they were they first ones shipping the phones.
I still get high cell standby times though even when at home on wifi.

----------

Hmmmmmm can you use a Sprint S6 on Verizon if you unlock it?

Has there been any resolution to the high cell standby? Or is this something we just have to deal with?

Really can't be patched by software? That's sort of nuts.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Has there been any resolution to the high cell standby? Or is this something we just have to deal with?

Really can't be patched by software? That's sort of nuts.
Not sure about any updates. Not sure if it is any issue with the hardware or if it is just a reporting issue? Are other see high cell standby times on 5.0 or 5.1?

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013

I have a Verizon S6 and my screen time is yet to get over 3 hours of screen on time. :( Myth debunked! ;)

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
I have a Verizon S6 and my screen time is yet to get over 3 hours of screen on time. :( Myth debunked! ;)

Im going to call absolute bs on you endless you are running benchmark apps or full blown gaming on your phone.

I easily every day hit 5.5 to 6 hours of on screen time on my phone.post a picture of your phone using up all the battery with less the 3 hours and also include the app use breakdown pictures

I'm legit calling you out.

Now hurry up and go run max auto brightness on the screen and loop geek bench and report back to us.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
Im going to call absolute bs on you endless you are running benchmark apps or full blown gaming on your phone.

I easily every day hit 5.5 to 6 hours of on screen time on my phone.post a picture of your phone using up all the battery with less the 3 hours and also include the app use breakdown pictures
See for yourself... so far today. Pulled off the charger at 6:01 AM, now 10:15 AM.

uploadfromtaptalk1430320549690.png uploadfromtaptalk1430320555795.png uploadfromtaptalk1430320560706.png

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

I'm legit calling you out.

Now hurry up and go run max auto brightness on the screen and loop geek bench and report back to us.

I'm not getting anything like 5.5 - 6 hours.

I get a maximum of 4hrs SOT and I'm not running anything majorly heavy either. (no games or such)

I can squeeze my battery to two days usage - but will only get a maximum of 2 hours SOT.

Look at my battery results today. I'm at 69% and only 38mins SOT

That would give me about 2 hours on a full drain today.

ca4e86b9e15ad72f2b9ecb61f8c69c65.jpg
5bceea3111002c1ec4cc9b18cc1a00d8.jpg

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Wouldn't it show up on my battery report? How do I find out which one it is?
Try this since you are on Verizon like me. This has helped reduce my "cell standby"
Settings->Mobile Networks->switch to LTE/CDMA
I believe the default is Global. But unless you are traveling you don't need Global.

skratch77

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
I'm not getting anything like 5.5 - 6 hours.

I get a maximum of 4hrs SOT and I'm not running anything majorly heavy either. (no games or such)

I can squeeze my battery to two days usage - but will only get a maximum of 2 hours SOT.

Look at my battery results today. I'm at 69% and only 38mins SOT

That would give me about 2 hours on a full drain today.

ImageImage

Looks like you have really bad signal strength in your area

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Looks like you have really bad signal strength in your area

Yet all my other phones don't drain anything like this phone.
The signal strength doesn't fluctuate between devices it's consistent, so why would this particular phone suffer so badly ? Unless it's that Samsung modem being subpar compared to Qualcomm in lower signal areas.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I wonder if it is the samsung modem MRU

If it is though, they may be able to improve it with driver fixes in a firmware update
Hopefully they can.

If they can sort both that and the aggressive ram issue I'll be a happy camper.

I love the hardware aesthetics of my S6e, but these two issues really temper my enjoyment and put a strain on my everyday usage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.