Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What face are you using

• Chronograph

Votes: 17 5.9%
  • Color

Votes: 21 7.3%
  • Utility

Votes: 82 28.6%
  • Modular

Votes: 75 26.1%
  • Simple

Votes: 31 10.8%
  • Motion

Votes: 13 4.5%
  • Astronomy

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Solar

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • Mickey

Votes: 31 10.8%
  • X-Large

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Custom

Votes: 4 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Utility for me!

I9tLpD1.jpg

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I switch between a few of them. Which is the point, no?

To give people the option.

----------

I am still using the face I was born with. ;)

The watch face I plan to use on the other hand, will be the Motion face (Jellyfish)

My only issue with the Jellyfish is that it's slow to appear and the digits on that face are huge. It's pretty, otherwise.

I've gone back and forth between Mickey, Color, Simplicity, Modular, and Motion (Jellyfish).

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
My primary one seems to be solar, but I have actually customized all the faces so that I can quickly change when I want to spice things up.

Cory Bauer

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
I wanted "Utility", but found the numbers of the clockface to be oversized and crowded so settled on "Simple" with complications in all four corners.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I've mis-voted. I said "utility", but I am really using "modular"

As far as I know, Modular is the only one that gives you a 3-line calendar option. My workday is dominated by my calendar, so seeing my next meeting and location is my killer-app.

/Jim

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
I prefer the Modular face. I just can't decide on a font color for it.

I like it in blue if you're using a black band. It's a good contrast.

I have a friend with a white band who is using it in white. It looks quite crisp.

viachicago22

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 20, 2013
I like it in blue if you're using a black band. It's a good contrast.

I have a friend with a white band who is using it in white. It looks quite crisp.

I have the modular face and I'm trying the blue don't now. I like that. I also just like all white.

Twyntub

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2007
Wouldn't mind the option of a background image - as shown in the original marketing shots "over two million ways to see time" but that's been dropped.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
I use different watchfaces for different situations. Mostly I use Modular or Utility.

I use Modular at work because of the large complication in the middle that allows me to see my next meetings at work (which is very important in my job).

I use Utility most other times as it's simple, clear and allows me to see the weather including a description at the bottom which is great for weekends.

If I'm going somewhere fancy I'll switch to the Simple watchface with all the detail and complications removed, which is a pretty classy look.

At the gym or when working out I switch to Chronograph as I can use the stopwatch feature to time rests between sets or sprints.

I generally don't use the gimmicky ones like Solar, Motion, Astronomy or Mickey. Though they are pretty and good for showing off.

I like the Colour watchface but it's so similiar to Utility - sometimes I switch between the two depending on my mood.

Overall I think Apple did a great job with the watchfaces. I would like to see more though including some more digital ones, and some more abstract watchfaces. I have heard a lot of chatter about people wanting 3rd party complications or watchfaces, but I think the watchface is so critical to the working of the watch I think Apple need to and should keep this closed off. Personally I wouldn't really be interested in third party complications, what kind of info would you want to see in such a small format other than what Apple has already shown.

edit - FYI I voted Modular as that's what I use most of the day since I'm at work most of the day.

Last edited:

Twyntub

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2007
I have heard a lot of chatter about people wanting 3rd party complications or watchfaces, but I think the watchface is so critical to the working of the watch I think Apple need to and should keep this closed off.

It would seem a logical step for Apple to open this up to only select developers, probably established watchmakers, avoiding the risk of 20 million+ flappy faces in the watch face/app store.

Imagine Swatch crafting stylish new bands - which would logically be bundled with matching faces.

The likes of Rolex could offer faces that are only compatible with the edition.

Tag and Breitling would focus on clever complications.

Beechy

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2015
Stoke, UK
I flip between them, but i feel like they havent provided 'the one' which will stay for a while.... Perhaps they need to open this up to select devs to bring us some great watch faces.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Modular, because I like to see as much info at a glance as possible. Plus I like having my fitness info detailed.

IMG_0408_zpskjyuldlu.jpg

catalyst6

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
Berlin
Modular, because it's the most functional and useful of them all.

The jellyfish are actually my favorite :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.