Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozrix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2015
Hello, I'm about to buy a display replacement for the 2011 27" iMac (LM270WQ1 (SD)(E3)), and noticed that it doesn't come with all the cables attached.

I've checked my current display, and noticed something that looks like a temp sensor glued to the back of the display (see pictures). It seems like it's glued with silicon or something like that.

How can I safely remove it from the old panel and with what can I glue it back on the new one?

Thanks,
George

xm251z.jpg

35lw7s6.jpg

MsFocused

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2017
I just bought one of these cables but didn't end up needing it because I found where the cable had detached under some tape and it worked once I plugged it back in correctly.

As for attaching it, I'd think that you could use regular clear tape in some areas that don't interfere with the sensor at the bottom. Most of my cable is covered with EMI tape that came from Apple, and it's not exposed like yours except for the areas between the place where it slides sideways into a port mid-way thru the cable (at the top). Mine is heavily taped around the display port, too. I had to remove some of it to unhook the display port cable from the monitor instead of the Logic Board. The tape is a thin black tape in some places, a clear tape in others, and a shielding tape that's silver in most places.

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.