Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The latest numbers from Strategy Analytics reveal that Samsung surpassed Apple to reclaim its position as the world's largest smartphone maker in the first quarter of 2015. The two smartphone vendors were previously tied in the fourth quarter of 2014 after Apple matched Samsung with 74.5 million smartphones shipped on the strength of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus and busy holiday shopping season.

Samsung recaptured the number one position with 83.2 million smartphones shipped in the first quarter, while Apple trailed in second with 61.2 million smartphones shipped during the three-month period ending March. Lenovo-Motorola finished a distant third with 18.8 million smartphones shipped, followed by Huawei at 17.3 million and 164.5 million smartphones shipped by other vendors.

Strategy-Analytics-Q1-2015-Vendors.jpg
Despite its first place finish, Samsung's global share of the smartphone market dropped to 24.1% in the first quarter of 2015 compared to 31.2% in the year-ago quarter. Apple's global smartphone market share grew marginally to 17.7% in Q1 2015 compared to 15.3% in Q1 2014. The global smartphone market experienced 21% year-over-year growth overall, from 285 million units in Q1 2014 to 345 million in Q1 2015.

Strategy-Analytics-Q1-2015-Market-Share.jpg
While it was impressive that Apple was able to tie Samsung during the fourth quarter, based on the popularity of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, it was highly probable that Samsung would eventually reclaim its title as number one again. The electronics giant's smartphone lineup is much larger than the iPhone lineup, with at least a half-dozen current-generation devices available compared to only a handful of iPhones.

Article Link: Samsung Overtakes Apple to Reclaim Title of World's Largest Smartphone Maker

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Can't say that I'm surprised Apple's reign on top was going to be a short one, just because Samsung produces a lot more models then Apple.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Only to be expected. Samsung sells a huge range. For Apple to overtake them with the iPhone 6 Plus, 6, 5S and 5C was an anomaly. An incredible one, but a one off.

sampaul

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2012
Philadelphia
Not surprising at all. They just recently came out with S6 Edge, which obviously puts Samsung ahead of the pack. Wait for the third and fourth quarter, Apple should be back ahead.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
OK,but it doesn't really matter. Nothing to get excited about.

As long as developers keep an interest in iOS, I don't care if Apple are 1st, 2nd or 3rd. They just still to sell enough units to keep their eco system healthy.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Some global stats on MR for once. About time. Nothing annoys me more when the articles here seem to assume that US = The World.

oatman13

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2013
not gonna lie the Edge is one sexy phone. unfortunately it is running the wrong OS ;)

Yup I completely agree... I'm not even that partial to the iPhone, what I really enjoy is the operating system. If we could put iOS on other phones that would be EPIC. However I definitely understand why Apple would never do this.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
But yet, it will take their two biggest models: Note and S line just to compete (sales wise) with the iPhone.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
OK,but it doesn't really matter. Nothing to get excited about.

I'm just quoting you on this because I wish more people would realize this, and enjoy what they've purchased. Whether it's apple or smsung or one of the many other top quality phone manufacturers.

we all are better for the wide range of competition.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
OK,but it doesn't really matter.

It won't stop your enjoyment of your chosen phone.

Yes it does, it get me all distraught that Apple, Samsung, and Huawei all shipped more phones than my phones company. I don't think I'll be able to show my face in public anymore. I'll only see sunshine again after I buy an Apple/Samsung/Huawei. ;)

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
These are such non-stories, yet MacRumors reports each quarter on Apple/Samsung being the larger manufacturer.

Why not just report annually? Over the last 12 months, who sold more? Samsung. Done.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
But yet, it will take their two biggest models: Note and S line just to compete (sales wise) with the iPhone.

Which is also 2 lines now.

6, and 6plus are two distinct phones, that actually line up nearly perfectly with the S(6) and note(4)

Don't try spinning anything.

Though, What Samsung does have going for it, is the wide range of OTHER devices it sells. From cheap low end phones, to other unique offerings like the "s5 sport" and the like.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
And Strategy Analytics are getting their numbers from where exactly? Does Samsung report smartphone shipments?

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada
Some global stats on MR for once. About time. Nothing annoys me more when the articles here seem to assume that US = The World.

I'm glad you appreciated the global aspect of this particular story.

I am the editor of this article and actually live in Canada, so I definitely don't try to make our content revolve around the United States. At the same time, I do understand that Apple is an American company and that the United States is their largest market alongside China, so naturally our coverage is going to be skewed towards the U.S. at times.

ZCT

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Fine by me. I don't need to have the most common phone brand in order to be happy with my purchase. Just like I'd rather drive a Mercedes than a Chevy.

The thing that really worries me about this report is the massive "others" category.

Fourth-placed Huawei gets an honourable mention for its 5% sales volume, but apparently fifth-placed and beyond vendors manage to chalk up an incredible 47.7% share of world wide sales volumes.

Is this really believable? Wouldn't it make sense to at least mention who these companies are that have almost half the sales volumes?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.