Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MultiMediaWill

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Minneapolis
Over the past 24 hours of owning the apple watch, I have received some positive and some negative comments. I welcome the positive comments, but I get really annoyed by the negative comments. I've had two close friends tell me that my watch is "exactly like an iPhone on your wrist" and "it's very ugly and pointless" and "you wasted your money." One of my friends even said "it's an ipod nano on your wrist, how is that new?" The sheer stupidity of that comment makes me cringe.

Another one of my friends wanted me to defend the reasons why I bought the watch and continued to nitpick and press-on when I refused to defend myself by simply saying, "I got an apple watch because I wanted it and I can afford it. I don't feel the need to defend my purchase."

It's been bothering me that people have the nerves to insult my new watch even after I tell them that I don't want to argue about it. What suggestions do you have to deal with the negative comments?

GmDude66

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2010
PA, USA
Over the past 24 hours of owning the apple watch, I have received some positive and some negative comments. I welcome the positive comments, but I get really annoyed by the negative comments. I've had two close friends tell me that my watch is "exactly like an iPhone on your wrist" and "its very ugly and pointless" and "you wasted your money."

One of my friends wanted me to defend the reasons why I bought the watch and continued to nitpick and press-on when I refused to defend myself by simply saying, "I got an apple watch because I wanted it and I can afford it."

It's been bothering me that people have the nerves to insult my new watch even after I tell them that I don't want to argue about it. What suggestions do you have to deal with the negative comments?

"Sorry bro, we can't be friends anymore"

Apple for life!

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Find more mature people to hang around with?

It's a new category (yes, others came first), but this one works natively with the Apple ecosystem and, from a hardware standpoint, is exceptionally well made.

What it can do now is just the tip of the iceberg...and when the "killer" apps come (and they will) - they'll be scrambling to get their watches while you're enjoying the heightened functionality already.

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Easiest way to deal with negative comments you don't agree with, ignore them.
If people can't accept you bought something just because you want it, it's either ignorance, jealousy or just plain rude.
You should pound them with questions as to why they bought their last TV, kettle, cooker, pair of jeans, you get the idea :)

SixtyK

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
Nebraska
I'm not a gamer and my Watch was about $100 cheaper than the XBox One that my friend camped out for... so there's that.

joeptp

macrumors regular
May 13, 2014
Austin, TX
Why does it bother you? The watch makes you happy right? Ignore them.

Edit: But if you do need a respond, the best one is what GMDude said, "Sorry bro, we can't be friends anymore". It's a funny response and will most likely go onto the next topic.

Frocktar

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
Yep, i think I'll be receiving a bit of that from a few folk. Been all positive so far out and about for work though.

Other than the external response you already listed, the rest is all an internal thing really though. What choice is there other than to just allow them their own view and see it as their viewpoint. Anything else just opens the door to letting their negativity inside you. Which is s terrible idea in any situation where one is faced with a negative projection from another. It's more contagious than a cold, but only if you let it.

McPhallus

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011

If it works for you and you like it, that's all that matters.

They insulted your watch, not you. I have no doubt that some of them are jealous, and many others just don't get it.

Some people think my obsession with mechanical watches and fountain pens is a little goofy, and that's fine. I don't give a rat's ass what people think of my belongings, and neither should you.

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
Over the past 24 hours of owning the apple watch, I have received some positive and some negative comments. I welcome the positive comments, but I get really annoyed by the negative comments. I've had two close friends tell me that my watch is "exactly like an iPhone on your wrist" and "it's very ugly and pointless" and "you wasted your money." One of my friends even said "it's an ipod nano on your wrist, how is that new?" The sheer stupidity of that comment makes me cringe.

Another one of my friends wanted me to defend the reasons why I bought the watch and continued to nitpick and press-on when I refused to defend myself by simply saying, "I got an apple watch because I wanted it and I can afford it. I don't feel the need to defend my purchase."

Well, they are right. It basically just a remote for the iPhone with a HR monitor attached. You can't handle criticism?

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
Ignore the comments and move on.

You won't change their mind as they have just decided it's crap, and any conversation will be pointless.

Ecoh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2009
USA
I got a lot of similar comments from my husband when I told him I was going to get the Apple watch. Now that I have had it a few days and he has seen how I use it, he wants one.

I think you just have to explain to your friends that you see a value in it for yourself and thats all that matters.

DeepStuff

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
The same way you deal with those people that are jealous that you have an iPhone and they only have a crappy Android. They know they have the inferior phone but to make themselves feel better they try to knock you down. Feel pity for them they are not as privileged as we are.

Haysbert

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2011
I was actually having this same conversation today with someone who has an apple watch. Someone I didn't even know today came up to me and said "I can't believe you bought that it's so stupid". My response was "If having this gadget can make you this upset than it has become my favorite purchase and already paid for itself". Honestly, if wearing this watch can make random people angry for no reason it has to be my favorite "feature" of the watch.

MultiMediaWill

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Minneapolis
Why does it bother you? The watch makes you happy right? Ignore them.

Edit: But if you do need a respond, the best one is what GMDude said, "Sorry bro, we can't be friends anymore". It's a funny response and will most likely go onto the next topic.

I don't know why it bothers me, but it does. I love the watch so far, and I've told them that. The watch has exceeded my expectations so far and I've been really impressed. I guess it's an internal issue now and I'm going to try my best to ignore the negativity.

Mymosa

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2015
SoCal girl living in Jersey
Responding to negativity

That sucks because those are not friends.

I'm 51 and I'm a "camper" My friends just know and they will tease me a bit, but at the end of the day they know I'm a die hard fan, I work hard, and I have a right to what I want. (plus I have met a lot of great intelligent people waiting out for the phones!) My friends knew as soon as the watch was announced I was not only going to have one but It would be on launch day!

To other's my answer is I work hard, I'm not doing drugs, I don't hang out, and I'm a therapist who works with severely abused children. I deserve to get what ever I want.

It helps being a female when I come back at my friends because, I don't buy shoes, expensive clothes, or purses so there's no difference.

It does get old from strangers though and they are a buzz kill. It's all good you have Apple "family" that gets it! :)

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
I don't know why it bothers me, but it does. I love the watch so far, and I've told them that. The watch has exceeded my expectations so far and I've been really impressed. I guess it's an internal issue now and I'm going to try my best to ignore the negativity.

If only it came with a taser...problem solved. :) Be a bitch on battery life though.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007

You have really hostile and confrontational friends. What age group are they in? They speak as though they grew up on Facebook, and talk to people in person the way people talk in comment boxes.

Most people I know would express their skepticism in a much more civil way.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

"it's very ugly and pointless" - Great, I'm so glad you didn't buy one then.

"exactly like an iPhone on your wrist" - Thanks for your observation

"you wasted your money." - You're right. I'll continue to use my watch while I ponder that.

Presonance

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
It's funny how people will drop hundreds on their own hobby without batting an eye, but when you buy an Apple product that you thoroughly enjoy and use several hours every day, they throw a fit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.