Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DISCOMUNICATION

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Cambridge, MA USA
I thought I should start a new thread specifically for this topic. Samsung is updating their LCD monitors with a lot of the features which people on the Dell side of the fence have been waiting on. Most notably HDCP. The 3 models which may be of most interesting to members of this forum are the ones that are ment to go head to head with the Apple and Dell (and in one case Gateway) 20/21", 23/24", and 30" monitors.
The 21" 215TW blows the Gateway FPD2185W 21" out of the water with style and at $50 cheaper in suggested retail price. $70 cheaper if you shop around. It's available in both silver and black, features speakers with a full compliment of video inputs accompanied by RCA/stereo audio inputs and headphone output. It can swivel, tilt, change from landscape to portrait mode, and be lowered to about an inch off the desk surface. Like the FPD2185W it features picture-in-picture, but also Picture-and-picture (split screen) which the Gateway lacks.This is the one I'm getting. Pictures of the silver model can be found on Samsung's German site, but dail-up users be warned these pictures are huge (3432x4111).
The 24" 245T is replacing the 244T with all of the same features, but the same new styling as the 215TW. No speakers, but it does feature the new stand that can be lowered to an inch of the desk surface, something the 244t was not capable of.
Finally Samsung gets into the Dual-Link game with the 30" 305T. Few details are available yet, but we know like the Dell 30"incher it lacks analog video inputs. While Samsung doesn't advertise it very well, you have to dig through PDF manuals to find it, these displays are HDCP compliant.
They also introduced some 2ms gaming displays with a standard 5:4 aspect ratio. Speaking of aspect ratio all of the Samsung monitors I mentioned above are 16:10. Unlike Dells the Samsungs lack a 16:9 letterboxing mode for wide screen content coming through the video inputs. So there is a slight squeeze of the picture, but most people won't even notice. And this won't matter if you watch movies on your DVD-ROM drive as you computer will scale the video to preserve the aspect ratio. Besides most films are shot in a much wider aspect ratio than the stubby 16:9 format anyway.

Attachments

• 215twBlack1.jpg
    215twBlack1.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 415
  • 215twBlack2.jpg
    215twBlack2.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 581
  • 1610vs169.jpg
    1610vs169.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 1,146

kallaway1

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2004
Wow discomm, you've really done your homework! Thought I'd post and bump this thread in case others are also looking for a quality monitor option.

I am curious about one thing though - Seeing as how the mac mini, the computer I'm planning on using with this display, is not exactly a game performer, I'm planning on buying either a PS3 or an Xbox360 and sitting it on my desk next to the mini. Here's my question(s) -

To get true high-def with the ps3, do you *have* to use the HDMI cables? I noticed that the Samsung 215TW has HDCP, what's the significance of this? Is this the same thing?

With either the 360 or the PS3, can component cables output 720p? I read on another thread that somebody had hooked up their ps2 to their dell display, but the picture was incredibly fuzzy and even worse than a standard def TV. I just want to be sure that this monitor can be used for what I hope it can before I take the plunge.

I have seen HDMI --> DVI adapters, do these degrade the signal?

Thanks!

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
HDCP is a transfer protocol associated wiith the next generation of HD video. Blu-Ray and HD-DVD will only output their video to a HDCP compliant device (I think HDMI already supports it) this is in order to combat piracy.

Pretty sure that component can do HD transfers. The image will be crisp and clean. I don;t know if DVI/HDMI is any better. The difference between DVI and HDMI is that the plug is a different shape and HDMI can carry audio signals as well.

HDMI -> DVI adapters are basically like plug adapters, all it will do is change the shape of the plug and you lose audio capabilities so you'll have to plug in a separate audio source.

mdavey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
DISCOMUNICATION said:
Samsung is updating their LCD monitors[/URL] ... The 3 models which may be of most interesting to members of this forum are the ones that are me[a]nt to go head to head with the Apple and Dell (and in one case Gateway) 20/21", 23/24", and 30" monitors.

Excellent research, DISCOMUNICATION!

Also look out for the Samsung 940BW 19" widescreen and 940MG 19" TV/Monitor. They aren't on the Samsung website yet (they were unveiled at CeBit earlier this month).

kallaway1

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2004
Chundles said:
HDCP is a transfer protocol associated wiith the next generation of HD video. Blu-Ray and HD-DVD will only output their video to a HDCP compliant device (I think HDMI already supports it) this is in order to combat piracy.

Pretty sure that component can do HD transfers. The image will be crisp and clean. I don;t know if DVI/HDMI is any better. The difference between DVI and HDMI is that the plug is a different shape and HDMI can carry audio signals as well.

HDMI -> DVI adapters are basically like plug adapters, all it will do is change the shape of the plug and you lose audio capabilities so you'll have to plug in a separate audio source.

Thanks for the response! Ok... so if I'm understanding this correctly, I can take the HDMI cable from the ps3, run it into a DVI transformer, plug it into my samsung monitor and...

1.) The HDCP will come into play and allow the signal to come in hi def (720p for this monitor size)?
2.) I'll be looking at an HDMI quality signal?
3.) There won't be a loss of quality?

And just to be sure, an Apple Display wouldn't work here with a PS3 because it has no HDCP, correct?

DISCOMUNICATION

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Cambridge, MA USA
Hdcp

kallaway1 said:
Thanks for the response! Ok... so if I'm understanding this correctly, I can take the HDMI cable from the ps3, run it into a DVI transformer, plug it into my samsung monitor and...

1.) The HDCP will come into play and allow the signal to come in hi def (720p for this monitor size)?
2.) I'll be looking at an HDMI quality signal?
3.) There won't be a loss of quality?

And just to be sure, an Apple Display wouldn't work here with a PS3 because it has no HDCP, correct?

Correct. You can't use it with the HDMI port. You can buy a $349 adapter to get analog video into the ACD. That question about using an ACD with a PS3 must come up twice a month. The answer is in multiple threads if you just do a search with the key words "ACD" & "PS3" or "Xbox". As for the HDCP on these Samsungs, there are already reports of people using the 244t with HDTV set-top-boxes successfully.

DISCOMUNICATION

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Cambridge, MA USA
Some people already have their 215TW's. These are some threads with pics from HardwareForum.com:
samsung 215tw no backlight
Backlight Testing on Samsung 21" 215tw
Samsung 215TW

Here's another article on the Samsung's from Cebit with new pics. Unfortunately it's not in english. Anyone translate? The lighting in that show room shure did suck. It looks like Samsung is also updating the 710MP & 930MP with the 732MP & 932MP. It looks like the styling has been updated to match the styling of the 940MW. Notice the stand and speaker grill.

Attachments

• 245T.jpg
    245T.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 9,455
  • 305T.jpg
    305T.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 9,291
  • 732MPand932MP.jpg
    732MPand932MP.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 250
  • Cebit940mw.jpg
    Cebit940mw.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 342

DISCOMUNICATION

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Cambridge, MA USA
215TW at BestBuy

If you want to see the 215TW in person people have started reporting sightings at their local BestBuy stores. It's on BestBuy.com for $549.99, but with the wrong picture and no mention of the video inputs or HDCP. I would go with Amazon or JR.com they are carrying it for $529.

DISCOMUNICATION

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Cambridge, MA USA
HDCP again

plinkoman said:
where does it show that it is HDCP compliant?
Like I said before Samsung does a terrible job advertising it's monitors' HDCP compliance. And their ignorant sales/tech reps don't help matters. You usually have to dig through PDF manuals to find the smallest little blurb about HDCP. If you go to the German site and check out the picture of the ports it says DVI(HDPC) right below the DVI-D port. But be warned the pictures are huge. There is also the PDF manual of course. Or you could just go to your local BestBuy and look around the back of the monitor.
Here is a list of Samsung's HDCP compliant moniotrs:
730MW
930MP
940MW
215TW
242MP
244T/243T
245T
305T(This one is in question. A Samsung rep at CeBit said it didn't have HDCP, but they said the same thing about the 244T which turned out to be false. It would be kind of stupid to release a new Dual-Link monitor that isn't future proof.)

DISCOMUNICATION

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Cambridge, MA USA
A quick note

The 215TW's component video inputs display at 480p. If you want true HD you have to use the HDCP enabled DVI port. Looks like it's back to the 940MW for me. It's $100 cheaper and can at least do 720p/1080i through the component inputs. The remote and tuner are a plus too. I'll save my money for a 1080p capable monitor down the line.

MattyP

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2005
San Francisco
Nice

mdavey said:
Excellent research, DISCOMUNICATION!

Also look out for the Samsung 940BW 19" widescreen and 940MG 19" TV/Monitor. They aren't on the Samsung website yet (they were unveiled at CeBit earlier this month).

I just got a 940mp tv/monitor which is wonderful, and I love... What are the new features for the mg?

MattyP

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2005
San Francisco
One more thing, shop around

I realized that I just spent the last two months obsessing over the Sony monitors vs. the Samsung monitors. My needs were a good quality DVI second monitor for my powerbook, that due to the fact that I live in a tiny apartment could also multi task as a telivision. I settled on the Samsung 940MW because of price, and features... Although I think it is also a very elegent design.

A couple of things: The Sony has a better picture than the Samsung... Not enough of a difference to justify it's much steeper price, in my opinion. The Samsung does have a DVI output port, but does not ship with a DVI cable, it comes with a VGA cable, but my DVI cable only cost a few dollars, so no biggie.

The Samsung is HDTV ready, and compliant with all tv formats, so out of the box you can use it anywhere in the world. The Sony is not.

After I went to Comp USA and checked out both monitors in the flesh I went home and found the best deal at J&R Electronics, in New York. I saved about $80. I also got a $30 Rebate from J&R, which paid for the shipping.

So far I have nothing but love for the monitor, and It is great for watching TV too. I have it plugged into JBL Creature speakers and the whole set up totally rocks my world. I would highly recomend the 940... Just make sure you check the web for deals because you can save some serious money by shopping around.

DISCOMUNICATION

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Cambridge, MA USA
Model#s and regions

MattyP said:
I just got a 940mp tv/monitor which is wonderful, and I love... What are the new features for the mg?
There might not be much of a difference at all. Samsung makes model variants that are only available in certain regions. There were a bunch of variants of the 930MP released only in asia and some parts of europe. I think the only difference was a memory card reader built into the side, but who knows?
They usually change or add the last letter on the model number. Maybe the G stands for Germany? Maybe not, but it seems like the 215TW is only available state side in black at the moment. The silver bezel is on display in Germany.

trogdor!

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2006
Yah, I was always impressed by samsung lcd's that came through my old job. I found them to be great quality and these defiantly show even more promise to that. I wouldn't mind having one, two, or maybe three... haha.

PC-User

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2006
I just happened to see the 215TW at Best Buy yesterday, then did some searching and based largely on this and one other thread, when and bought one today... I hope I wasn't fooled.

I cant seem to get the monitor out of 1280 x 1024 mode. The box says 1680x1050 as MAX resolution. I thought this meant NATIVE resolution also. The monitor does not show up on Samsung USA, but it does from the Link Above and I believe that is the Canada site, and it say Max/Native 1680...

So, what's the deal, anyone know. Will this go int 1680x1050 mode for me, or is that some kind of marketing hype, and it's some sort of virtual mode, etc... any insight would be appreciated.

PS: As my sig says, I'm a PC user, with an nVidia FX 5200 having setup the driver with a 1680x1050 60mhz custom resolution according to the nVidia website, but when I switch to that mode, it just get garbage on the screen.

DISCOMUNICATION

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Cambridge, MA USA
Resolution

PC-User said:
I just happened to see the 215TW at Best Buy yesterday, then did some searching and based largely on this and one other thread, when and bought one today... I hope I wasn't fooled.

I cant seem to get the monitor out of 1280 x 1024 mode. The box says 1680x1050 as MAX resolution. I thought this meant NATIVE resolution also. The monitor does not show up on Samsung USA, but it does from the Link Above and I believe that is the Canada site, and it say Max/Native 1680...

So, what's the deal, anyone know. Will this go int 1680x1050 mode for me, or is that some kind of marketing hype, and it's some sort of virtual mode, etc... any insight would be appreciated.

PS: As my sig says, I'm a PC user, with an nVidia FX 5200 having setup the driver with a 1680x1050 60mhz custom resolution according to the nVidia website, but when I switch to that mode, it just get garbage on the screen.

It's not the monitor's fault. It's your graphics card. My graphics cards max resolution also made me pause in snatching this up right away.

Have you tried this(from a quick google search):

Right click Desktop>Click Properties>Click Settings Tab>Click Advanced>Click Monitor Tab.

Under that tab, there is a checkbox that says "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display". If it is checked, uncheck it, then click Apply. Then go back to your resolutions and see if it shows up then.

PC-User

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2006
DISCOMUNICATION said:
It's not the monitor's fault. It's your graphics card. My graphics cards max resolution also made me pause in snatching this up right away.

Yes you are right, thanks. Damn Dell... told them Friday it was my video card causing the problems... and they convinced me it was my Viewsonic VP211b, so I needed to work and Viewsonic said they would fix it, so I bought the 215Tw. Anyway... my video card may have trashed the Viewsonic in Digital mode, and it wasn't letting the 215 get anything better the 1280... so I swapped out the video card on a test nVidea 5200 for a 4200 I also had here.. and everthing worked the first time as expected with the Samsung. However they Viewsonic still will not work in digital mode from boot up?? So if I put the Samsung on, boot up, all is well, even switch over the DVI connector to the Viewsonic and it works. Turn it all off, and the Viewsonic gets no DVI! ??

So the Viewsonic is going in to the shop, Dell is sending me a new video card and I'm using the 215tw this week... looks real pretty now that I got it up and running!

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
PC-User said:
...I'm using the 215tw this week... looks real pretty now that I got it up and running!

how well would you rate this display? any problems with it: uneven backlight, backlight bleeding, dead/stuck pixels?

also, to me, 21" seems a tad on the big side for a screen with only 1680x1050 (my 17" powerbook has that res :eek: ), so how do things look on it; do things look too big, stretched or pixilated?

i ask because i really like the specs of this screen and am considering purchasing it as a second display for my powerbook / screen for my pc / screen for game consoles / tv replacement etc... and as this is a new screen, reviews are quite scarce.

DISCOMUNICATION

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2004
Cambridge, MA USA
more 2007WFP challengers

So now we have the Gateway 2185W, the Sony MFM-HT205, this Samsung 215TW, and LG just released the l203wt, and they are all on display at your local BestBuy in some cases right next to each other(the Sony hasn't been released yet). While the new LG has all the same array of video inputs and pip/pbp features. It and a bunch of other LG's have a 1400:1 contrast ratio! The Sony has a 1600:1 contrast ratio!

fatius

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2006
Samsung 215tw and the Mini

Hey everyone! Has anyone gotten the 215tw to work with a mac mini? I got the 215tw yesterday and have been using it with my g4 mini. It's great, but I can only get it to work via the VGA adapter. If I use the DVI cable it doesn't work. The monitor just goes into it's powersave mode, if I disconnect the cable, it notices and tells my that my cable is disconnected.

Other than that, this monitor is great.

PC-User

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2006
It's quite good actualy. Very bright and sharp. (Using DVI). I don't see any dead pixels... which may be reason to keep it! I'm not a gamer type, so take that into consideration. But the picture is as clear and sharp as my VP211b and the windows can be moved around the screen without the trails the Viewsonic caused.

1680 is very good for this monitor... though you may like more if you use 1400 with a 17". Dot pitch is the key factor there, and this is .27mm. You will find them someone smaller and somewhat bigger. But when they get much smaller... the screen items start to get too small, like an icon, or text... so I prefer this. .255 is the smallest I would go on the dot pitch. I'm currently looking for a laptop and I'd like to get a 1024/768 15" display... that's plenty.

Everything else looks good, but I haven't tried the other inputs (except vga), haven't heard the sound, etc...

plinkoman said:
how well would you rate this display?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.