Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

colinet

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 5, 2003
Australia
I normally connect to the net over ethernet and an Asus modem and the phone line.

However, the connection seems to have got unimaginably slow - it was going to take over 2 hours to upload 4.8Mb the other day. BUT I also have a wireless gadget that connects via a MUCH faster network - uploaded the same 4.8Gb file the other day in less than a minute.

My question is - if I turn on the wireless gadget and it connects to its network and I choose that network, will it automatically use that over the ethernet/router/phone line or do I have to unplug the network cable from the back of my MacPro?

By the way - Just got a space grey MacBook - 1.3MHz processor/512SSD and I LOVE it - love the fantastic design, love the keyboard - all wonderful.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Use the Network Location option instead of that other recommendation.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202480

I travel to several locations, and sometimes my local internet provider isn't working well - the Network Location allows me to choose between profiles in just a few seconds. Choosing "Automatic" and prioritizing Network Interfaces isn't always ideal - the Apple web page makes this pretty clear, read it and you'll likely change your workflow. I've got 30+ of my not-very-computer-savvy employees using different Location options depending on where they're at. Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.